Is there a faster way to germinate seeds?

What is the name of this book?

Teaming with Bacteria by Jeff Lowenfels.. He also does Teaming with Nutrients, Teaming with Microbes and Teaming with Fungi.. All of them are great reads but this bacteria one was mind blowing, such as Root hairs come from the bacteria rhizophagy cycle. The whole book is like that

DECF2330-4AEE-41A5-8F37-E2EFA94661BF.jpeg

So these bags of Myco available online…wintertime, cold temps, This is a bad time to order it? One description of it sez guaranteed to be alive when delivered. Should I wait til spring? Above freezing lows?

Most all of the mycos I’ve seen are freeze dried shelf stabile products some are a finely ground powder while others come as tiny pellets and another one uses treated vermiculite…

I’m assuming they are all activated when watered into grow media

also so I don’t veer to far off topic, green light is reported to speed germination…

Most all of the mycos I’ve seen are freeze dried shelf stabile products some are a finely ground powder while others come as tiny pellets and another one uses treated vermiculite…

I’m assuming they are all activated when watered into grow media

Correctish. Myco we use in our gardening is mainly lab created, and is all essentially dormant until activated by making contact with live roots. The myco will then go dormant upon death of the plant. Temperatures really won’t affect this. Water doesn’t affect the dormancy of myco either but can move the myco spores around in the medium leading to connection with a living root.

Just like in nature, myco doesn’t disappear over the winter. It goes dormant. Waiting for the spring thaw and new plants to appear. In forests it can keep itself alive and well in some areas and in others it simply “hibernates”

Not entirely sure why the person you responded to brought up myco though lol.

also so I don’t veer to far off topic, green light is reported to speed germination…

Yep I’ve heard of green, yellow and red all having a positive effect. Blue light seems to suppress germination. The hypothesis is that since white light contains a mixture of all the colors you lose the benefits from the other colors due to the blue suppression.

Fairly interesting read here.. Not sure if there’s any updates to this study:

Then there is that old grumpy dude thats says I soak my seeds til i can touch t'em and they sink ' bout 12 hrs throw em in a paper towel on a plate on my heating pad (arthritis) between the smell of my vicks and the heating pad they crack open kinda quick so I throw'em in da dirt .works just fine for me no need to change a thang! remember that old Guy? its me lol. its been 6 months ago I was on the quest of better germination I used @Bill284 method before so I was gonna do it but just a little better well about $50 in pods and dynomyco and all the fancy planters with domes all the frills. so by the time I buy everything Im about $100 into it till I slowly drowned about $150 bucks in seeds needless to say it was a hard learned lesson KISS keep it simple stupid. but that does actually sound pretty easy between my shaky hands and eye sight I have a hard time picking up a seed But my son on the other hand, Ill get him to try it

and just for the record the first part of my post may not be completely accurate . I hope I aint that grumpy old guy But the money part is total truth. My wife reminds every time she gets the chance

I think I may be in the grumpy old man category. Soak em in water until they crack then put em in soil, or use the paper towel method, that works fine too. Sometimes we growers get so wrapped up in trying to do it faster, or better that we lose sight of just how simple the process of germinating is. There’s really no need to sand, buff, soak in special chemicals, play music, plant during a special phase of the moon, just get seeds to germinate. It’s been happening since time immemorial without any help from us. Just my rant, sorry!

If you’re in a hurry for anything growing related you’re in the wrong game…
So true

At this point im to old and grumpy to try and rush anything.
And i do think if you have not wasted money on growing you have not learnt how to grow yet.
My two cent we all travel the same roads getting into growing just might take different routes to get
to the same out come loads a bud.:)

So true

And i do think if you have not wasted money on growing you have not learnt how to grow yet.
My two cent we all travel the same roads getting into growing just might take different routes to get
to the same out come load a bud.:)
Haha - that is equally true! I’m on my third irrigation/drainage system in 3 months 🤣

My wife is very understanding because for a 21 plant system it ain’t cheap 😅

So true

to the same out come loads a bud.:)

Some of us have to burn our hands on the stove to learn that it’s hot 🤣 I am one of those people

Haha - that is equally true! I’m on my third irrigation/drainage system in 3 months 🤣

My wife is very understanding because for a 21 plant system it ain’t cheap 😅

I’ve been contemplating a irrigation/drain system but I’ve finally gone a whole month without spending money 😂 I think I’ll hold off another month just for her sake 🤣

Seeds is another big spend i stopped wasting money on.
With free seeds when i bought and seeds i have found in my own bud.
I dont think i could live long enough to grow them all.
Yet for years i kept buying new seeds wont any more.
Until i use what i have , i like something that much now its time to clone
unless some great 420 sponsor hooks me up. ;)

Seeds is another big spend i stopped wasting money on.
With free seeds when i bought and seeds i have found in my own bud.
I dont think i could live long enough to grow them all.
Yet for years i kept buying new seeds wont any more.
Until i use what i have , i like something that much now its time to clone
unless some great 420 sponsor hooks me up. ;)

I’m expensively cheap 🤣 I’ll spend good money on quality products but balk at other things like seeds.

I’m a small home grower so I don’t need to have feminized seeds. Plus in my experience seeds are more like 80/20 female/male. So with that, it makes it very hard for me to justify any more than 50 bucks, especially if it’s any less than 10 seeds. I’m not really interested in growing a whole bunch of different strains. I want a good indica and a good sativa, and I’m happy.

The little bit of seed shopping I have done has just reinforced this. I’m glad that’s not something that caught my eye because it’s ridiculously easy to spend hundreds of dollars fast.

I think I invented the paper towel method, I was doing it that way long b4 I had internet and saw it online. I use a sunny windowsill tho not a heating pad. My 1 issue I do have is getting the seed casing off or better yet the little film of whatever is just under the seed casing. I can usually manage to remove it without doing to much damage, but these old arthritic fingers aren't as nimble as they used be

If it works GREAT myself I just use a tray and dome with water in the tray and a heat mat with heat control along With rapid rooters I just get the rooter's damp and warm in the tray the day before I stick the bean in and I don't put it away down in there I can still see the top part of the bean and don't put the bean in the rooter upsidedown (🥴😂😂) and then dampen with a hand sprayer 1 qrt sprayer a cap full of E-M 1 and 1/8 tsp humic acid mix and then wait nothing to do after that no matter what strain of bean I do 100% pop within 3 days I don't worry about hurrying Good things come to those who wait! But thank you for the above tip I might look into it ✌️

I FINALLY got a photo period seed to sprout a tap root. In a pill bottle with 1% H2O2 in a dark drawer. Root was 5/16” long. Put it in soil immediately with tweezers and it came up thru soil today. The long dry spell is over. Timing is wonderful as the auto plant is in its’ final few weeks. Harvest the mature plant to make room for the newbie. I’m going to need more jars!!

Here’s the sprout this morning. Is this covering the seed shell or its’ interior liner? Don’t remember the shell being this light in color. Looks thicker than a paper sheath would be. What do ya’ll think. I’m dripping water on it every time I walk into the kitchen to keep it soft and flexible to help the plant shuck the. cover. Or should I let it dry? Get lighter in weight?

0FE62AC5-5F9D-4DF9-BA74-F72BF75492BB.png

Me?

Book into a nice hotel, order room service, catch up on trash TV. Read a cool book. Love a 2am Club Sandwich from room service on the trolley with the silver lid.

After two nights there go home to the kitchen and check on the seeds that all being well are now seedlings. Which is is way more stressful. But at least you had the nice time in the hotel.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom