Is there a faster way to germinate seeds?

I'm a noob grower but I had 100% success with my germination.

I soaked the seeds for several hours. Next I put a strip of "shamwow" towel on a plate, laid the seeds on one side of the towel, then folded over the towel to cover them. I then saturated the shammy until excess water ran off when I tilted the plate, which I stuck in a corner of the kitchen counter.

A day and a half later and all seeds had germinated, some with 1/4" long tails.

I like the shamwow idea because I knew it held water like a sponge and there was not risk of it drying out.

Coconut coir also holds water like a sponge, so next time I may try to make little coir "pots" and put the seeds in the pots to germinate so I don't have to handle them afterwards.

After I soak the seeds, I put two layers of wet paper towel below them and two above them (just one folded paper towel). I place it on a saucer with the seeds near the edge; I pour enough water to fill the saucer almost up to the seeds. This is good when I can't add water every few hours (on dry days).

I did an almost like for like germination but 6000 miles apart.

Here mine are 36-48 hours tops. We’re in the tropics. Always warm and humid 365 days.

The others were done in the northern hemisphere, Western Europe.

Method - soak them in mild H2O2 mix until I get bored, about 30 minutes. Pop them in folded kitchen roll in ziplok bag using a splash of the same water. Hang on two clothes pegs in a semi darkened area, there’s a spot in the living room I use.

In the other one it was the same bar one difference, I use my swimming pool water. Its literally just water and H202. You can drink it. For the other one we mixed up the same using store bought 3% Hydrogen Peroxide.

His took 3-4 days.

So I wonder because I have 200 Wasabi Seeds in my freezer to winterise them to assist with popping if the seeds because accustomed to the climate. We keep them in the safe which is cooler and dark but not airtight. Nor are the packets we get them in. I should chuck a hydrometer in the safe and see what the Rh actually is in there.

But anyway a theory - keep them warm and reasonably humid before popping may speed germination.

Nick

In nature, there are no paper towels or other devices used to germinate the seed. The seed falls and the ones fortunate to make it into the soil are the ones that make it. What is key to the seeds germination is the microbiology of the soil. The hormone gibberellin and other microbiology is what helps signal to the seeds it’s time to pop. Most of these seeds have a harder shell to survive the outdoors. The key to having excellent germination rates is preparing the soil well ahead of seed drop. This would include things like recharge, kelp, LABS, Azoz, some form of nutrients that are slow release. This would simulate the viability of soil as it would in nature. Nature already supplies the nutrient’s in the soil well BEFORE the seed is dropped. I see most growers feeding after the seed is planted, then the seedling is leggy and the cotyledons fall off in the first 14 days. This means the soil was not adequately prepared for seed germination and increases the rates of males in regular seed.

Maybe I’m missing the point, but seeds take as long as they take to germinate, and if it takes a couple extra days, who cares? A day or three isn’t gonna make any difference.
For my long winded explanation…it was more in the fact that a very positive microbiology and stable settings will produce a larger female to male ratio. Speed just says the soil environment has higher fungus, bacteria, etc that makes it easier for the seed to flourish.

For my long winded explanation…it was more in the fact that a very positive microbiology and stable settings will produce a larger female to male ratio. Speed just says the soil environment has higher fungus, bacteria, etc that makes it easier for the seed to flourish.
Is there any research confirming that it produces a better female to male ratio? Like to read it. I was taught that it was chiefly genetics.

Is there any research confirming that it produces a better female to male ratio? Like to read it. I was taught that it was chiefly genetics.
Genetics is the study of what traits from the parents, are carried over to the off-spring. That has nothing to do with sex as all seeds are hermaphrodite ( neither male nor female). Sex is decided in the first 14 days of life ( on regular seed). This is why having a good soil microbiology is key.

Is there any research confirming that it produces a better female to male ratio? Like to read it. I was taught that it was chiefly
Funny you ask that, as I have yet to find a study that specifically used cannabis as the study. However, I was able to confirm the fact from the old old growers who bought seeds back from overseas. 2 of the 3 people ( 2 are military, 1 is a WELL known breeder) that I was able to speak with confirmed that in the wild there are no where near the amount of males as we get when we are germinating. One said in the field in Turkey, there were hundreds of plants. They didn’t cut any of the males down as they make hash. Out of the entire field he could only find 4 males ….this was out of 100’s of plants. This was confirmed again by a second vet who came back with seeds from Africa. The breeder I want to talk with hasn’t replied back as of yet, but it’s Bodhi, so I get it.

I am currently running the test myself and only 29 days in, so I have another 2 weeks to be able to sex them ( stem bend).

I’m doing an about-face on my previous post.

Personally I think it’s more efficient to plant seeds directly in soil so that, as soon as they germinate, they orient themselves correctly (roots go down, top growth goes up). If seeds are germinated on paper towels etc. then planted, they’ll have to re-orient, which is wasteful of their energy, and time wasted.

I’m doing an about-face on my previous post.

Personally I think it’s more efficient to plant seeds directly in soil so that, as soon as they germinate, they orient themselves correctly (roots go down, top growth goes up). If seeds are germinated on paper towels etc. then planted, they’ll have to re-orient, which is wasteful of their energy, and time wasted.
I agree with you. The soil biology should germinate the seed.

IMG_4093.jpeg

Those were about 68 hours old at that point. Batch of 11 - 4 strains. Left them a little long as was busy. The leaves that popped in the bags were fine. I hang the bags vertically fold them up to move the moisture up twice a day.

Dropped into a glass of my swimming pool water for an hour and paper moistened with the same water. The pool is H2O2 - no salt or chlorine. The seeds are also just kept at room/outdoor temp before popping. That’s about 28c minimum. Humidity never below 65%

Recreating the same in Europe using bottled H2O2 its much slower - helping my friend pop now. We got 100% last time but 4 days.

Popping another 12 tonight. Will make sure its only 48 hours in the paper this time. Those tap roots are a pain to work with that long. The pictured lot have successfully gone from trays to solos since that picture.

Nick

I just peeked at my seed in paper towel this morning, and to my surprise, there was a small tap root. Checked it two days ago and nothing. I’m trying to wait 3 days before I peek. Still waiting on the photo period plant to mature and buds to swell, before I need to move new autos to grow tent. Topped the photo period twice. Four or more colas, just growing slow. Once a week watering. Slowly learning this hobby. The sprouting of these seeds is the hard part. I’m impatient with anything I do.

Anyone try using their instant pot for germinating? I‘ve had 100% success rate so far with cannabis and hot variety pepper seeds. Basically the same damp paper towel method but in a controlled environment.

IMG_4093.jpeg

Those were about 68 hours old at that point. Batch of 11 - 4 strains. Left them a little long as was busy. The leaves that popped in the bags were fine. I hang the bags vertically fold them up to move the moisture up twice a day.

Dropped into a glass of my swimming pool water for an hour and paper moistened with the same water. The pool is H2O2 - no salt or chlorine. The seeds are also just kept at room/outdoor temp before popping. That’s about 28c minimum. Humidity never below 65%

Recreating the same in Europe using bottled H2O2 its much slower - helping my friend pop now. We got 100% last time but 4 days.

Popping another 12 tonight. Will make sure its only 48 hours in the paper this time. Those tap roots are a pain to work with that long. The pictured lot have successfully gone from trays to solos since that picture.

Nick
Dang, those are some impressive roots.

They’re so stiff as taps seriously I never want them long again. We have an alarm set in 10 hours when the 17 in paper now are 48 hours old. They were 72.

Crazy fast.

Humidity for the seeds pre pop for me.

Few days only.

These are those tap roots today / 7 plants. Checkout my solo grow cup on the popping stuff.

Nick

IMG_4349.jpeg
IMG_4350.jpeg
IMG_4351.jpeg
IMG_4352.jpeg

Equipment needed :
1. seeds ( of course )
2. paper towels
3. air-tight plastic container
4. pocketknife or sandpaper
5. water

I have found that I always get reliable germination results using the following technique :

Method :
1. LIGHTLY chip/scarify outer seed coat in one place. I stress lightly because if you do it too roughly it will ruin a good seed.

2. Dampen paper towels and place seeds on it. Either fold or roll it up so that its pressing against the seeds.

3. Put paper towels with seeds inside into an air-tight plastic container.

4. Place in a warm location like on top of a TV set, VCR, or refridgerator.

5. Open every 12 hours to allow oxgen into the container and check on the seeds. Most should germinate in about 24 hours, but there may be a few that need a bit longer.

Author: NZ Ganja Growin
got some seeds from a freind....one came up and the others i was trying never split

They’re so stiff as taps seriously I never want them long again. We have an alarm set in 10 hours when the 17 in paper now are 48 hours old. They were 72.

Crazy fast.

Humidity for the seeds pre pop for me.

Few days only.

These are those tap roots today / 7 plants. Checkout my solo grow cup on the popping stuff.

Nick

IMG_4349.jpeg
IMG_4350.jpeg
IMG_4351.jpeg
IMG_4352.jpeg
whats the white little things? fertilizer?

Back
Top Bottom