How do I replenish Subcool's soil after growing?

Maybe I can help since I actually use old Subcool soil and have for many years. I have guessed that the minerals added into the base soil so as to make the supersoil are there in sufficient quantities to last for about 3 grows. To this end, I have been adding back 1/3 of the original additives used to create the soil, after each grow, when I throw that soil back into the compost bin. I always work half of my supersoil and have the other half composting.

That's a good question and I personally don't have the answer. I am also using SS and so far I havent kept any to reuse. When our next batch of plants finishes up Im going to have the new soil tested to see what's in it, and the spent soil tested to see what was used.

Hello:
Let me tell you what I'm doing. This is my first grow. I'll be using 15 Gal. Smart pots with 5 Gal. Subcool's formula and 10 Gal. Stoning Blend potting soil, in a hoophouse. I'll be adding Vulx to the whole mix. The manufacture states Vulx is good for multiple grows. So I'm looking to recharge the super soil.
Thank You

Maybe I can help since I actually use old Subcool soil and have for many years. I have guessed that the minerals added into the base soil so as to make the supersoil are there in sufficient quantities to last for about 3 grows. To this end, I have been adding back 1/3 of the original additives used to create the soil, after each grow, when I throw that soil back into the compost bin. I always work half of my supersoil and have the other half composting.

So do you add the minerals to compost after a run? Are you mixing in the N and P portion of Subcools SS and leaving the minerals due to longevity?

I use Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil. At the end of the grow, I toss it in our garden and go buy another bag. At 20.00 Canadian a bag, I see it as it's the cost of a successful grow for me. One bag will make four 3 gallon pots as long as I add in 3 gallons of vermiculite and stir it all up.
But that is not a supersoil and if you are using nutes, it does not need to be amended.

So do you add the minerals to compost after a run? Are you mixing in the N and P portion of Subcools SS and leaving the minerals due to longevity?
I am mixing the full load of everything in subcool's recipe, minus the base soil... 1/3 strength, after each use of that soil. This old rootball and soil and additives all get thrown into the compost bin to cook down and be ready for the next run. The minerals are used up at the same rate as any of the other nutrients in there, so I make no distinction between N and P or anything else and try to keep everything in the same proportions that it was when I first mixed the soil.

Back
Top Bottom