How do you personally begin your plants? Check this out it may save you time!

Detroit Shroomz

Same strain germinated and planted directly into 20oz solo cup 3 gal and 7 gal containers on Jan 27th all same exact age! This wasnt intentionally planned but it was something that struck me while I was cleaning em up felt that it deserved to be acknowledged for those who may be hoping to speed up there own processes...I myself will probably never start in solo cups again after realizing this

20210314_004841.jpg

It is always good to come across findings like this. I was going to plant some seeds directly in the soil (after germination) to see how they performed to not being uppotted several times during the season. I tend to lean on the side that every time we uppot a plant, it slows down its process to grow. Seems like a no-brainer because it tends to be a stressful process.

What would have been interesting though is if you had added a couple extra growing conditions to this experiment. Maybe add a couple more plants in the solo cup and uppot then when needed to see if you could match the growth vigor of the one in the 7 gallon???

Many growers swear by uppotting as needed until you get to your final container. Why is that exactly? What have they found over the years that makes that process better than just planting them in their home right off the bat? Your post reminded me about all these questions last season.

It is always good to come across findings like this. I was going to plant some seeds directly in the soil (after germination) to see how they performed to not being uppotted several times during the season. I tend to lean on the side that every time we uppot a plant, it slows down its process to grow. Seems like a no-brainer because it tends to be a stressful process.

What would have been interesting though is if you had added a couple extra growing conditions to this experiment. Maybe add a couple more plants in the solo cup and uppot then when needed to see if you could match the growth vigor of the one in the 7 gallon???

Many growers swear by uppotting as needed until you get to your final container. Why is that exactly? What have they found over the years that makes that process better than just planting them in their home right off the bat? Your post reminded me about all these questions last season.
The reason to up-pot is to build a rootball. I like starting in 16 ounce tumblers from the dollar store with holes melted through the bottom, then into one gallon fabric pots and before the roots grow into the bag transfer to a 3 or 5 depending on how long you plan on growing the plant for... I like to use great white when I up-pot.

I’m almost finished with my first grow. After careful consideration and a lot of research when I started my grow I put my autos in their final pot to germinate and that is where they stay until my harvest. Because I’m growing autos it would stress them too much is why I did it that way. But my thought about it is that when you start in a solo cup and let the roots grow to the bottom and sides of the cup, at some point , the roots are being restricted to a certain degree until you decide to up pot it. Then when you up pot it it does the same thing again until you put it maybe in its final pot. To me when you do that it seems like it is not allowing the roots to venture out as freely to the outer parts of your pot, and it’s my understanding that that’s what you want to form a awesome root ball to grow those big plants.

So I should start my outdoor seedlings in their 60 gal fabric pots??
If you’re starting in a 60 gallon pot I am assuming that you are growing photo types and not autos. I have not ventured out yet to photo types even though I have 10 acres of property and could very easily pull that off I just do autos for right now. With that being said autos lifespan are roughly 3 months so they say 1 gallon for every month your plant will live so I use 3 gallon fabric pots but I will probably go to the 5 gallon fabric pots for my next grow. If you are indeed growing photo. Plants by all means start them in a smaller pot and then up pot if that makes you feel more comfortable but I would go ahead and start them in the 60 gallon pot but you will need to water them a certain way and my signature line has a link on there about watering seedlings in their final pot. If you follow that procedure I think that you could safely start them in their final pot but maybe some others will jump in that have tried it both ways and can give us a comparative result to reference to.

I don’t grow auto-flowering plants. If it’s good I wanna keep it forever. And possibly make more of it. I think autos are kinda working backwards. They are getting better though. Congratulations on your first grow! That’s awesome!!!! Enjoy your hard work. Remember to make hash with your trim! Lol
My gorilla glue auto sugar leaves have rust spots on them so can I still use them???

If you’re starting in a 60 gallon pot I am assuming that you are growing photo types and not autos. I have not ventured out yet to photo types even though I have 10 acres of property and could very easily pull that off I just do autos for right now. With that being said autos lifespan are roughly 3 months so they say 1 gallon for every month your plant will live so I use 3 gallon fabric pots but I will probably go to the 5 gallon fabric pots for my next grow. If you are indeed growing photo. Plants by all means start them in a smaller pot and then up pot if that makes you feel more comfortable but I would go ahead and start them in the 60 gallon pot but you will need to water them a certain way and my signature line has a link on there about watering seedlings in their final pot. If you follow that procedure I think that you could safely start them in their final pot but maybe some others will jump in that have tried it both ways and can give us a comparative result to reference to.
You can start them in a big pot sure, but you will have to carefully water and always be messing with it seeing if it’s ready for a little bit more water in your huge pot. I suggest you do what I said in my previous post but with hard containers til you get in your final container..

My previous comment was a sarcastic one. I would never start a seedling in their final pot nor recommend anyone to do so either. I've done the test in different sized pots and there was no difference except spending extra time checking the larger pot to see if it needed more water. I'm trying to make my growing easier not moving into the garden to monitor on a constant. Oh i lied... I did notice one difference. I had a bunch of unused soil (Almost no roots except those running to the outside of the container) started in the larger pot. A waste imo!!

My previous comment was a sarcastic one. I would never start a seedling in their final pot nor recommend anyone to do so either. I've done the test in different sized pots and there was no difference except spending extra time checking the larger pot to see if it needed more water. I'm trying to make my growing easier not moving into the garden to monitor on a constant. Oh i lied... I did notice one difference. I had a bunch of unused soil (Almost no roots except those running to the outside of the container) started in the larger pot. A waste imo!!
Well this wasn't a planned test or anything but to say there is no difference is simply confusing to me because when I look at that pic I notice a pretty substantial difference...the fact is if given a deadline and I started in a 7 gal from the beginning compared to someone in solo cup working up to 7 gal after after few transplants no matter what the one started in a solo will likely never come close to catching up to the plant thats been allowing to let the roots flourish...and its only a waste of soil if you are throwing it away imo...but thats just it its all a matter of opinion and preference

Let me get this straight bro... you saying cuz you didn’t put the plant you have in a solo cup in your picture in a larger pot(aka up-pot) it didn’t grow..... I don’t see what the test is bro? Lol.
If you read my post I said it wasnt a planned situation wasnt any test or anything i just had a few in solo cups that i chose to not transplant didnt really have the room but didnt want to toss em...as the weeks were passing i just noticed how fast each one grew compared to one another...obviously at a certain point the solo cup will slow down much more compared to larger pots but the 7 gal was growing much faster then either after 2-3 weeks from seed the 7 gal just left both in the dust and it really just seems obviously no disturbance to the roots letting them spread as natural as possible is what leads to the difference... imo root balls are not good dont really understand why people say that

I put my autos in a 5gal pot day after sprout and check the root system at Day 30. The roots seem to hold the soil
together and appear healthy after I shake off the soil. Just my experience. I start in final pot precisely to make my
grows less complicated.

Versatile.jpg

30 Day root Check.jpg

My rule of thumb has always been 1 gal per desired foot works good for me I grow 4-7 ft finished plants and the 5 gals are always packed roots Im not shaking off loose soil like you seem to be but im also not growing 1ft tall autos in 5 gal pots either...if you are getting slow veg and smaller plants then I suppose I could see your argument...but thats not my situation

To each his own my friend. That’s how we learn and see what works for us as individuals.

Back
Top Bottom