What do you do with your deformed/mutant plants?

TheFertilizer

This plant is a little over a month old and it has never looked normal a day in its life, except when it was just a little seedling. I am wondering if it's really worth wasting the pot and tent space. I have another plant in a solo cup because I didn't have an extra pot nor space in the tent, and it looks much healthier even in a solo cup. I was thinking I should just kill the mutant plant and put the solo cup one in its pot.

But why waste a plant? Well, I am worried it may be like sick or diseased in some kind of a communicative way, and also I am going to be trying to making some seeds and I don't really want to risk passing its genetics on at all. It seems like I am risking a lot more and not really losing much if I just cull it.

I'm not really sure it's strictly a genetic issue or something, like maybe this plant just wants different conditions than its siblings, but I can't really figure out why or what that would be and it kind of seems like it would be a waste of time, it doesn't look like it will really get very big or produce very good flower.

IMG_20160927_061538.jpg

Other plants for comparison

IMG_20160927_061620.jpg
IMG_20160927_061627.jpg

Welcome to the :420: community!

You do have a lot of healthy plants that look fantastic. If you decide to pull that one, it's not like you would have to start all over. Like you said, you have another to put in its place. Even though it's not growing as well as the others it does not mean it won't produce flowers. If they were all from the same seed company i doubt it would be genetic issues. I can see discoloration on some of those leaves. Maybe an issue with the medium. If proper time and care is given these "sick/mutant" plants they can bounce back quickly.

Pulling it would give you more space, leaving it would add to yield. There is no correct answer, more of a personal opinion. Some growers only want the cream of the crop and chop all under performers while others will take time to nurse all plants.

:Namaste:
GreenSmurf

My outside grow of 4 Hindu Kush females became 3 when one turned male. A cautionary note for me re "feminized" seeds it was. One plant grew big, 6X7, but phenotypically weird, light green color, earlier flowering etc. It turned out very potent, but sans seeds it will be a 1-time event even if I'm able to grow again. The male, also phenotypically weird, did not produce adequate edibles. Since this is a learning year for me I'm learning grow tactics on the job. I'd be inclined to junk the weirdo. My considerations would include how big a grow, inside or outside, potted or no, would it make more room in time for a replacement and likely other ones apply. Other than the non-conformist plant, you seem to be doing great.

Space is a big consideration, but if space permits, I try to grow them out.
Why? To learn. If you don't learn, you won't improve your grows or fix similar problems in the future.

So can you tell us about it compared to the others. I have one like that in my batch now.

I mean the results of the flowering.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

I grow them as I wouldn't have many plants to grow otherwise :rofl::rofl: but mine are mostly phyllotaxy, runts or variegated

So can you tell us about it compared to the others. I have one like that in my batch now.

I mean the results of the flowering.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

Well I had to cull down to a new limit on that grow so I ended up killing it before flowering it.

I have one like it now too though, I'm going to end up flowering it so I'll be sure to come back and comment.

I reckon . put outside if you can , when you can, somewhere in your garden or patio .let it come back or die "like Paul did say " live ...and "let" die" I assume the "let" means "out to pastures" "shady acres" it may just regenerate and be a freak in the "nice" sense of the word.. " might be a waste if it's a female. Good luck, s

Sent from my 5017A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom