What do you call Day 1?

Savvage61

ok this is one of those questions like "should I flush my plants before harvest" where no one agrees on the answer but all the answers are right. My question is "when does Day1 of Week 1 start" ? is it when your seed sprouts in a paper towel ? when the sprout breaks thru the soil ? (what ever medium) or is day one the day I transplant out of the solo cup into its next pot or does it start somewhere in between I look forward to replies
I WISH EVERYONE A HAPPY NEW YEAR :party::woohoo::thanks:
Savvage61

@Savvage61 , Interesting post.

On the flushing question I usually flush and then let the soil dry completely out, than cut and hang.
About the 1st day of a plant life; my thinking is when the seed actually splits, the white “tail” appears, I think it is called a radicle, anyway to my thinking the plant has started it's life.

Take care my friend

I use phases and days. When referring to just the overall age of the plant itself, it starts on the day it breaks ground. This is useful for determining maturity and time frames.

I also use Seedling Day 1-14, Veg Day 1 (which is actually 15 days), and Flower Day 1 (this can be anything from Day 54+)

Technically a plant is in Veg phase from the day it pops above ground.. it’s vegetative growth begins at that point because this means the tap root has found its anchor/bed/insert colloquial term here

It helps keep it organized in my mind

The day I plant the sprouted seed is what I mark on the plants tag. The day I flip the light time for photos is day one as well

Just to clarify I was using the do you flush as example along the line as what is the best way to germinate, or what's the best medium. dry trim or wet trim .Lets admit not a single one of us grow pot the exact same way from the seed getting wet to the final burp of the jar or seal of the grove grab. some are good some are not as good. there is so much helpful info here at 420 mag it is IMO the best Cannabis encyclopedic and collection of master growers will to share their knowledge. this thread is a perfect example. had I posted this question on some other site there would have been 3-4 cyber fights over who is way is better. not here, we disagree but no BS. the key is to always stay open minded and dont be afraid to try something diffrent. Just for the record IMO day 1 is ground breaking. the correct answer goes to the person who said they thru their calendar away because their plants wont read it. we all know thats the truth:thumb:

My calendar doesn't start until they have their first set of true leaves.

That is how I view it. The cotyledons use nutrients contained in the seed to support tap root growth. After that, when the first set of true leaves appears, these new true leaves start to support vegetative growth by photosynthesis. Soon the cotyledons start to wither. At that point, the plant is in veg. It discards the cotyledons and relies 100% on its own leaves to produce energy. That might be "Day 10" or "Day 15" if you count from when the cotyledons pop out above ground, could be later than that, but it doesn't really matter at all to me what number the day has, what matters to me is that it's in veg.

Guilty as charged, I don't count days in veg. When she looks ready to flip, I flip.
And oh, further to my earlier post, I don't count the days in veg either. Nor in flower. Since I grow using the sun, no flip. Works fine. Instead of counting the days and relying blindly on a number (which is most likely inaccurate for the very reason the OP asked the question here), I pay attention to the visible signals the plant gives. Day number is extraneous to the plant; it can only serve as a useful general guideline and nothing more.

ok this is one of those questions like "should I flush my plants before harvest" where no one agrees on the answer but all the answers are right. My question is "when does Day1 of Week 1 start" ? is it when your seed sprouts in a paper towel ? when the sprout breaks thru the soil ? (what ever medium) or is day one the day I transplant out of the solo cup into its next pot or does it start somewhere in between I look forward to replies
I WISH EVERYONE A HAPPY NEW YEAR :party::woohoo::thanks:
Savvage61
I would think when it breaks soil. Imho. CL🍀

I would think when it breaks soil. Imho. CL🍀
You could also start counting from the moment you soak the seeds, or place them in medium, or when the seed cracks open, or the tap root pushes out, or when the cotyledons start to turn green, or... [fill in the blank]. Big question is: why bother to count the days? The plant is right in front of you, telling you everything you need to know.

Is counting days a substitute for understanding the plant's growth?

i count the day they germ. When i see that tiny white tap root start poking out of the seed husk, that is day 1. And that is for all the seeds i'm germing in that run. So if i start germing seeds today and some germ on the 10th, and then some on the 11th, and then still some on the 12th, i will label all of those as birthdate of the 10th. the day the first seed of that batch run germs is their birthday for data.
Screenshot (9).png

Flower count starts day i flip to 12/12. home growers can use a more nuanced approach, but small/medium scale production requires more regimented hardwired scheduling so to speak. This local guy asked me to produce a pound every 2 weeks this last summer and i had to start figuring shit out fast,lol. Day they germ, day you flip to flower is best from what i've found.

i count the day they germ. When i see that tiny white tap root start poking out of the seed husk, that is day 1. And that is for all the seeds i'm germing in that run. So if i start germing seeds today and some germ on the 10th, and then some on the 11th, and then still some on the 12th, i will label all of those as birthdate of the 10th. the day the first seed of that batch run germs is their birthday for data.
Screenshot (9).png

Flower count starts day i flip to 12/12. home growers can use a more nuanced approach, but small/medium scale production requires more regimented hardwired scheduling so to speak. This local guy asked me to produce a pound every 2 weeks this last summer and i had to start figuring shit out fast,lol. Day they germ, day you flip to flower is best from what i've found.
Sounds about right to me. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom