When does veg actually start?

OMGReptar

It may seem like a basic question, but I keep seeing different answers over the internet. So when does veg actually begin? Does it begin at sprout? Or is it two weeks later?

I consider that the "seedling" stage has ended as soon as the newly sprung plant has established itself in the soil... and by that I mean that the tap root has extended to the bottom of the container and the plant is no longer swimming around when you water it. This firmly "established" plant, is now a young vegging plant in my mind, no longer an infant seedling.

On things like this one, there really isn't a definitive answer... everyone is going to have their own opinions about it. I just know that once the plant stops swimming around, I can put away the mister and I can instead water the plant like an adult plant... so that is why I make the distinction there. This is also when I tend to hit the young plants with their first nutes.... because now that it has roots, it can handle them.

Basically it doesn’t matter all that much. It’s just a reference point and the plant won’t know the difference whichever you say. Or if it does- it won’t be talking about it. Probably most people count from the time they plant the sprout into the container.

I don’t count days in veg. I just plant them, and then put them into flower later when I have time and space. But if I was going to mark the date, I’d just do it at the same time I plant the sprouted seed and stick a marker in the pot to indicate the strain name.

When the seed sprouts/germinates. It has started to grow and it is vegetating.

I make note of the day the seed was put in the soil. Then the date I first see the seed break the surface even if the husk has not yet fallen off and the cotyledons are still closed up against each other.

The flowering date, for me, starts the day I put the plant in the flowering cabinet. That way it is a consistent notation for future reference and not a judgement call as to whether I see enough pistils showing or buds forming.

I go with it being used to account for the time between 12/12 switch and before.
So it is just a term that's used to describe what the plants doing before you switch photos to flowering. I mean if somebody is saying they have flowering plants I go with they are on 12/12 with clones or photos and the growth is now flowers.
Autoflowers do not rely on 12/12 to flower, they grow until they stop and switch to flowering but not all at once that I noticed. I think flowering is also growing but a distinction had to be created.

I don’t count days in veg. I just plant them, and then put them into flower later when I have time and space. But if I was going to mark the date, I’d just do it at the same time I plant the sprouted seed and stick a marker in the pot to indicate the strain name.

Thats how I do it. Dont forget to label the freaking solo cup or whatever the seedling goes in. I almost always plant seeds or seedlings on the full moon. Not that hard to remember how old they are between the 1st and 2nd full moon they usually go into flower. As soon as they in flower lighting I put the date on the label and start my countdown.

60 days has September April May and November ... or something like that lol.

13 full moons this year so I gotta extra month and the 13 moons in 1 year we aint gonna see another one in my lifetime. Blue moon this month! Get crackin.

The real question is when does bloom actually start, at the flip or sometime after that? For years I have added a new stage to the process called Transition, and during that 7-14 day period, they are neither vegging nor blooming. When I do finally determine that they are flowering, I get a much more accurate harvest window prediction based on breeder recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom