How late is too late

Edrobone2

420 Member
I have a situation where I have to move my plant or I lose it...it's well established in the ground...this is my first grow and the thought of digging her up just kills me is it too late... my thoughts where to take a larg portion of the earth with it digging wide and deep enough that I don't damage any roots and it may ease the stress but if it's going to die I might as well pull the plug and give it a WHACK !!!!! I would rather kill her myself then to leave it behind for someone else to enjoy
IMG_0871.JPG
IMG_0871.JPG

It doesn’t look like it’s flowering yet (?).
There’s no reason that digging it up and moving it should kill it- just set it back a little, especially if flowering. Just take as large a rootmass as you can handle moving. Use a small tarp or equivalent to slide it onto then drag/carry it. Good luck.

It doesn’t look like it’s flowerkng yet (?).
There’s no reason that digging it up and moving it should kill it- just set it back a little, especially if flowering. Just take as large a rootmass as you can handle moving. Use a small tarp or equivalent to slide it onto then drag/carry it. Good luck.

I'm with Weaselcracker, as long as you take enough of the earth with you as possible she should be fine after a couple weeks in her new home. Best of luck on your journey!

Had to do same last year, just as started to flower... One was around same size.... Spike around and down to Middle with crowbar... take as much root width as you can, as you get to Middle, take time to dig and pull as much of thicker roots as possible.. don't have too but if have a tarp, slide Under plant , fold up corners and pull out... best time to do it is during a waning moon, end of full moon before New moon, as all the energy is being pushed down into the roots... Best of luck...

And water in with a seaweed for stress and a microbe soil root conditioner..

Dry holds together better than wet...

Yeah, no doubt. Depending on how much soil you're transporting - but even a cubic foot of fairly damp soil is significantly heavier than the equivalent volume of dry. Up that to a cubic yard, and the difference would be what class of heavy machinery you end up renting for the job.

In a perfect world, you'll remove the entire root mass. Err... Got a Bobcat with a large bucket (or better), lol? But the world isn't perfect, and you may well end up with a fraction of the total root mass (hopefully a large fraction, but still). If it were me, I'd try to estimate how much root mass I lost - and then remove that much of the plant. I've done in-place "transplants," where you cut away a portion of the soil/root mass from all around the container walls and bottom, then use fresh soil to make up the difference. Houseplants and mini-mother plants that I didn't want to get bigger (so no moving to a container 3x the current size) but was trying to maintain long term. The plants that I trimmed (both random house plants and cannabis mothers) seemed to do better than the ones that I didn't trim as part of the process. I figure it's pretty much a universal truth that any plant will only produce as much "greenery" as its root system is capable of supporting, so it seemed logical to not remove (a significant portion of the) root mass without a comparable trim above ground.

But that's just my opinion. The plants that I didn't trim survived. They just seemed to be stunned(?) longer, and the trimmed plants almost always quickly caught up to (and often surpassed) them.

Anyway, man, people move trees:rofl: . Those don't always survive - but they often do, and I'm talking literal trees here.

BtW, I hope and assume that you are fully legal, since you are (or someone is) so clearly pictured standing right next to it.

Good luck with the transport!

If you end up not trying to move it, take some cuttings and root them. Actually, I'd do that, regardless (and not just because I'd be trimming it anyway), for insurance. And if you don't move it... Unless the entity that is forcing you to move is the one that'd end up with it, or leaving it behind could get you into some legal (et cetera) hot water, I'd leave it healthy. After all, the next person that moves in to that house (I'm assuming it's a residence) might appreciate the gift. . . .

Yeah, no doubt. Depending on how much soil you're transporting - but even a cubic foot of fairly damp soil is significantly heavier than the equivalent volume of dry. Up that to a cubic yard, and the difference would be what class of heavy machinery you end up renting for the job.

In a perfect world, you'll remove the entire root mass. Err... Got a Bobcat with a large bucket (or better), lol? But the world isn't perfect, and you may well end up with a fraction of the total root mass (hopefully a large fraction, but still). If it were me, I'd try to estimate how much root mass I lost - and then remove that much of the plant. I've done in-place "transplants," where you cut away a portion of the soil/root mass from all around the container walls and bottom, then use fresh soil to make up the difference. Houseplants and mini-mother plants that I didn't want to get bigger (so no moving to a container 3x the current size) but was trying to maintain long term. The plants that I trimmed (both random house plants and cannabis mothers) seemed to do better than the ones that I didn't trim as part of the process. I figure it's pretty much a universal truth that any plant will only produce as much "greenery" as its root system is capable of supporting, so it seemed logical to not remove (a significant portion of the) root mass without a comparable trim above ground.

But that's just my opinion. The plants that I didn't trim survived. They just seemed to be stunned(?) longer, and the trimmed plants almost always quickly caught up to (and often surpassed) them.

Anyway, man, people move trees:rofl: . Those don't always survive - but they often do, and I'm talking literal trees here.

BtW, I hope and assume that you are fully legal, since you are (or someone is) so clearly pictured standing right next to it.

Good luck with the transport!

If you end up not trying to move it, take some cuttings and root them. Actually, I'd do that, regardless (and not just because I'd be trimming it anyway), for insurance. And if you don't move it... Unless the entity that is forcing you to move is the one that'd end up with it, or leaving it behind could get you into some legal (et cetera) hot water, I'd leave it healthy. After all, the next person that moves in to that house (I'm assuming it's a residence) might appreciate the gift. . . .[/QUOTEyes I'm legal I live in Eugene Oregon allowed up to 4 per person

I have a new problem I broke a branch off tonight Can I just put it into water and hope it will root and put it under lights and it just started to flower will the shook fuck everything up

Yes you can definitely clone it- but best to read up on cloning 101. It’s possible to root in water but it’s low on the list of good methods. Good luck :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom