How long can I keep seedlings in Rapid Rooter plugs?

I use rapid rooter plugs to start seed and for cloning too.

I am not interested in pro/con opinions of the cubes, I'm sold on them.

My question is how long can I safely leave the seedlings in the tray when roots are poking out of the cubes?
I have small DIY tupperware Cloner/DWC that I have used to keep the seedlings going while waiting on the flood and drain to open up. The problem is I've had root issues twice. They start out great, then the root problems start. 3 weeks to 1 month in.

I have about two weeks to go until the Vanilla Kush tray opens up. The Panama seeds sprouted two days ago and I would like to leave them as they are for as long as possible (two weeks max) until moving them to the flood and drain. I can move them into the tupperare at anytime.

I've seen videos of growers leaving clones in trays for an unreal amount of time before transplanting them.

Thanks for the input.

Hi @gwhunran ! I’ve used rapid rooters and like them. In my opinion you’ll want to wait until about 1/4” root tips are busting out then the transfer should be good to go.
I'm wanting to leave them in there as long as possible without damaging them. I don't want to put them in the DIY bubbler any longer than I have too. I've got two weeks before they can go into the flood and drain. I'm waiting on some to finish.

The title of the thread says "How long can I keep seedlings in Rapid Rooter plugs?"

Do you take the seedlings out of the plugs and then transplant them?
No
I want to leave the the sprout in the plug in the fitted tray thing that's sitting in an overflow tray.

What I'm hoping to read, is I've left them in there for two weeks after they sprouted before transferring them, plug and all into their final home and they did fine.

:oops:

So rapid rooters are merely a temporary home to get the ball rolling. There is nothing in rapid rooters to keep a plant alive - it’s merely a place where roots can dwell….. if you provide suitable enviro & nutrients.

Also consider weed roots love air but do not like exposure to light….

fwiw I like rapid rooters but I’ve seen some weird shite with them after doing root autopsy but here’s the thing….

If you see clone cuttings are rooted - then move on to the next step and give them bigger home. Roots must first grow underground (or in your tray) to support a larger plant above ground.

Granted I don’t know beans about hydro but I will say it does take time to convert roots from water roots over to soil roots or vice versa…. roots develop differently for sure so I would get them rooted in permanent media sooner rather than later.

dunno my 2 cents -hope something here helps! best of luck and keep us posted

I went ahead and moved them into the 6" netpots with clay pebbles.
Since my last use of the tupperware, I've put zip ties on all the lines connecting the stones.
I'm hoping the issue I have been having with roots is from one of the hoses coming off, causing a drop in bubbles from the other stones
They just need to make it two weeks before going into the flood and drain. I will open a journal for the Panama grow later.
Panama Day 4 since sprout (3).JPG

Panama Day 4 since sprout

Panama Day 4 since sprout (4).JPG

Panama, Day four since sprout

I also ordered HydroGuard today. I won't get it before these go into the tray but there's next season. I haven't needed it in the flood and drain. Never had a root problem.

Back
Top Bottom