How much water in your 5gal fabric pots?

I guess it depends on your mix. In my 5 gal pots whether fabric or airpots I get runoff at 1/2 gal, but my mix is very light and fluffy with one third perlite by volume.

56 Days later.jpg

Anyone try diy drip watering systems, i mean gravity super low cost, not the timed electric type.

I think a gallon is enough in a 5gal pot if a nice slow drip water system was applied, im getting tired of 45min watering sessions 🙄
It don't work like that. The amount of water needed will fluctuate with plant size with heat humidity and air flow. So either way your going to need to check the plants and adjust what each one needs for water. So set it forget it may sound easy but it never ends up being one fits all.

Anyone try diy drip watering systems, i mean gravity super low cost, not the timed electric type.

I think a gallon is enough in a 5gal pot if a nice slow drip water system was applied, im getting tired of 45min watering sessions 🙄
My only niggle with gravity fed drippers is that as the res gets lighter, the pressure reduces and flow can reduce too low before it empties - still useful for slow watering though if it's adjusted right

I don’t water my plants anymore - they water themselves :cool:

never ran drip before but SIPs and SWICKs will change your life… imho swicks offer more advantages than SIPs

best to implement this on your next grow cycle since the soil needs 40% added aeration (perlite rice hulls or pumice) for either style, the extra aeration allows for wicking of water yet gives enough oxygen so that the roots don’t die from constantly wet grow media.

there’s a 2 week stall if you transfer from regular soil formats over to sips or swicks it takes time for roots to switch over to a wetter moisture gradient and get hooked up. At first the plants will sip but later on they guzzle.

for swicks just put that 5 gallon grow bag on larger tray of perlite & water just so long as you added the extra aeration in your soil mix it’s good to go. No need to fiddle with ph, ppm or any of that crap,

here’s link to >>> Carmen’s SWICK thread and the other one is Azimuths SIP thread

both are long threads but don’t let that stop you cuz for now page 1 is all you need to get started. truth be told I still add water to the res daily but once you get SIP or SWICK rhythm down its so easy…

I feel your pain with the long watering sessions. My last 8-9 grows have been in coco amended with dry organics. The ideal scenario is to keep things moist all the time, but never water to runoff…..I’d be leaching my nutrients out.
Anyway, when I water I mist the top of the surface with a spray bottle until it’s good and wet, then painstakingly water over the course of an hour or more……it really sucks. But I’ve found that if I do it any faster, I get runoff with less water.
I can get right at 1.5 gals per plant if I do it slowly. When I’m pressed for time and rush it, I can’t get a full gallon in before I start to have runoff.
My deal sets up great for an auto drip system, but I just haven’t taken the plunge.

Back
Top Bottom