How Soon To Add Silica

RookieJuana

Do any of you Pros out there know how soon I can begin adding silica to my watering regimen? My seedlings are only 2 weeks old right now. How soon can I add it?

2 weeks is where I start it. Just as soon as they've got a decent root system down really. Not advisable for freshly cracked seedlings cos it's a bit volatile but you should be good by now.
Just make sure you pH the mix properly afterwards cos it'll jump the ph to 8-9. Best used at 30-50ppm. Also don't get it on your skin lol.

When your cracking the seeds..

I use it immediately, but in low doses. I start at 1ml per gallon and increase it 1ml per week until I hit week 5 and am at 5ml per gallon, then hold it at that level for the rest of the grow. I does spike the pH quite a bit, so if you use a higher dose early on, before you ramp up the other nutes, you'd have to use a ton of pH down to get pH back in line. So I taper it in along with tapering in my other feeds. It keeps things a bit more balanced that way.

I use it immediately, but in low doses. I start at 1ml per gallon and increase it 1ml per week until I hit week 5 and am at 5ml per gallon, then hold it at that level for the rest of the grow. I does spike the pH quite a bit, so if you use a higher dose early on, before you ramp up the other nutes, you'd have to use a ton of pH down to get pH back in line. So I taper it in along with tapering in my other feeds. It keeps things a bit more balanced that way.
Interesting. I smash my plants with nutes rigjt away with no issues.

don't most grow nutes have some in it?

No, because in more concentrated forms (bottled nutes would be such) there is a chemical reaction between grow nutes and silica and the silica falls out of suspension. You actually need to make sure you add the silica first to your gallon of water and your grow nutes second or the same might happen.

No, because in more concentrated forms (bottled nutes would be such) there is a chemical reaction between grow nutes and silica and the silica falls out of suspension. You actually need to make sure you add the silica first to your gallon of water and your grow nutes second or the same might happen.
Does it matter how you mix the nutrients and silica if you are going to pH the water anyway? Thank you in advance for your response!

Does it matter how you mix the nutrients and silica if you are going to pH the water anyway? Thank you in advance for your response!

Add the Silica product first to your gallon of water. After that it doesn't make much difference what the product order is (grow or bloom nutes, Cal Mag, etc), then pH to desired level at the end.

Add the Silica product first to your gallon of water. After that it doesn't make much difference what the product order is (grow or bloom nutes, Cal Mag, etc), then pH to desired level at the end.
Thank you so much! Will do!

It’s been to my experience that you would add silica first, then calmag, then base nutrients then additives then ph last. Just my .02

It’s been to my experience that you would add silica first, then calmag, then base nutrients then additives then ph last. Just my .02
I almost did this but I switched the Cal Mag and silica around. I added the silica second. I know what to do from now on! Thank you so much guys! I love this place!

Ahhh thanks. Always learn something here. Awesome info

So even if you ramp up slowly on the silica will it still spike my PH? I'm glad she asjed cuz ive been reading about it and want to get it but my ph is perfect without any effort lol i wanna keep it that way

Just been having a wee read into this as it's use is something people never agree on.
For instance I don't use it during bloom. I've got a really sensitive Res and it stops the pH fluctuating once the stretch is over. Even when I deliberately unbalance things to try and get the pH to drop it doesn't. That's not meant to happen so I don't trust it and I'm quite protective about my pH swings lol.
Half hour on Google reveals that a lot of people feel that when used during bloom it deteriorates the quality of the final smoke. Makes it tough in the grinder and doesn't burn propperly.
What's folks thoughts on that?
I've got a bunch vegging just now so I'm gonna feed one all the way through and see what the difference is.

So even if you ramp up slowly on the silica will it still spike my PH? I'm glad she asjed cuz ive been reading about it and want to get it but my ph is perfect without any effort lol i wanna keep it that way
Yeah mate it ruins your pH instantly. I use it at 0.3ml per litre and it jumps the pH from 6.5 to 8.8.

Yeah mate it ruins your pH instantly. I use it at 0.3ml per litre and it jumps the pH from 6.5 to 8.8.
Wow! Im not going near it then. What do u use to measure it? Syringe? My PH is right at 6.9 or 7.0ALWAYS. And i use tap water and let it sit for one day. Im kind of a lazy grower as in i don't wanna mess with things if i don't have to. This silica sounds good but i have enough to play with

Wow! Im not going near it then. What do u use to measure it? Syringe? My PH is right at 6.9 or 7.0ALWAYS. And i use tap water and let it sit for one day. Im kind of a lazy grower as in i don't wanna mess with things if i don't have to. This silica sounds good but i have enough to play with
Yeah just make things up in 10L denominations so 0.3ml becomes 3ml which is easy in a syringe. Then need a propper tiny dripper for the pH down and a decent pH meter. I'd imagine different brands need different measures but 30-50ppm is all they can make use of so no point using more.
The difference is incredible though. Makes em go daft punk. Harder better faster stronger. Couldn't use it this grow as id lost my pH meter. Snapped something every time I've touched them. They're a mess man, it's rediculous.
With scillica Ive never even had to worry about it. Can be as rough as you want, the stems just bend. Just grab it and pin it to the floor in one movement. It won't break. Seen one guy tying his plants in knots to prove the effects. I'll try find him actually. Turned into some pretty mental lookin bush. Was cool as fuck.

Yeah just make things up in 10L denominations so 0.3ml becomes 3ml which is easy in a syringe. Then need a propper tiny dripper for the pH down and a decent pH meter. I'd imagine different brands need different measures but 30-50ppm is all they can make use of so no point using more.
The difference is incredible though. Makes em go daft punk. Harder better faster stronger. Couldn't use it this grow as id lost my pH meter. Snapped something every time I've touched them. They're a mess man, it's rediculous.
With scillica Ive never even had to worry about it. Can be as rough as you want, the stems just bend. Just grab it and pin it to the floor in one movement. It won't break. Seen one guy tying his plants in knots to prove the effects. I'll try find him actually. Turned into some pretty mental lookin bush. Was cool as fuck.
Wow bro! No kidding. Ill screw that up probably. I might do it next grow idk

Back
Top Bottom