How to cure my harvest in glass jars?

sssrambo

Hi everyone,

I need a little bit of advice on curing in glass jars, i have just cut down my crops and they are hanging to dry they are almost ready as they are nice and crispy on the outside, they are starting to get a very nice lemon sort of smell but its not a very strong smell like i have had previously its fairly slight.

Are the buds now ready to be put into glass airtight jars for curing? how long should i cure for and how long should i open the jars for?

also what is the best way i can get the crop to smell stronger, taste better and increase its potency as i know these crops have got potential as they do smell quite nice. i cut a small bud off and gave it a try the taste was nice but could be a bit sweeter and quite a nice high but that also could be better.

also im in the uk so you know what the enviroment conditions are like :)

So please if you have any advice on how to make my crop better i would be very happy to hear it :)

Thanks for reading ;)

Welcome to :420: sssrambo
Time to stick them in the jars if they are feeling crispy already. If there is moisture inside the buds they will feel more damp after awhile in the jar maybe overnight or something.Thats why you open them to change air and smell and check for mold.During this time the thc is changeing over naturally to a stronger form resulting in stronger meds.The buds also release other elements causing harshness and green leaf smell in the cure for a better smell and taste.Heres a link for a better understanding of the entire drying/ curing process:thumb:
How To Cure Your Marijuana Crop

i also find that its best to hang them till the buds are dry on the outside, then cut the buds off the stems and put on a tray, you will find once the buds are near each other the moisture will get higher in the buds so leaving them in the tray over night will remove some moisture,

also the first day you put them in the jars leave the lid off for the first day then take the buds out and check how the feel, if their moist again tip them out and let them dry for a few hours before placing in jars,

once this is dont you can put the lid on, but for the first few days you will need to open them up and check moisture 3 or 4 times a day or more, i find taing the buds out the jars for 30min or so each time helps bring the moisture down, a few days to a week later you will be able to just take the lid off for a few minutes then put it back on

Thanks for the replys :)

they have now been in glass jars for 3 days i have opened them everyday for about an hour but they are still very crispy on the outside even though sitting in the pot for 24 hours they dont seem to be getting moist at all, i did smoke another little bud last night the high is there and its quite nice but it just doesnt taste or smell right is there anything i can do ?

Thanks again

The strains are sweet tooth and auto bomb, so they are half decent strains and they have also been flushed, but i was told once in jars they will get a little moist but no moisture as of yet just crispy but ill give it another 2 weeks and see how they improve if any

Also is an hour a day too long to air them? Should I reduce that time at all?
Also my buds don't fill my jars they only fill up to half way, do I need smaller jars so that the buds are tightly packed in I heard this could make a difference

Thanks for the advice :)

do you have any wet bud lying around or drying if you do you can put a fresh bud in the jar and that will make the others moist, you can also use orange peel but not a method i have tried so cant comment on how it affects smell or taste,

the only way to get moisture back is to add moisture by adding wet bud, their are also other method like lightly steaming a bud over some steam but this again ive not tried so cant say how it would affect the cure or end results,

you only need 1 moist bud in the jar to draw moisture into the other buds,

The idea of curing is to slowly draw the moisture from the buds as it does so they will use the last of any remaining chlorophyll and trace nutrients which is what gives you a smooth smoke once the buds are dried the process is finished, cured, I don't know that adding moisture will restart this process. Like adding a cup of water to already cured concrete. Id say if they don't slightly moisten over a 24hr period then they are cured and as good as it'll get. You can't polish a turd my friend.

a lot of growers use orange peel but like i said ive not tried it, the only method i have used is adding a bud thats not dry properly and that brings even moisture back into the buds, a quick cure does not remove all the chloro that we are trying to remove, so a slow cure does this,

so not sure if bringing moisture back into the buds allows the chloro to reduce and perfect the cure or not but if its to dry then its not going to cure but moisture is needed as this is what removes the chlor form the buds and leaves us with nice dank buds,

how ever their are other reasons why it might not taste right, could be the strain, nutrients, not flushed properly, any of these can cause harshness but ive quick dried bud before and its not to bad but a slow cure is well worth the wait

another method i have recently come across is the water cure method, this method is suppose to be the best method and gives great results but again strain dependent as some fruity strains lose their taste but skunk and cheese strains are suppose to do well with a water cure, not tried it so cant comment but basically you harvest your plants then let them soak in water, you lose no thc but all the chloro breaks down and leaves perfectly cured buds, but this is a method i would test with a few buds before i through my whole crop into a bucket of water.

you can also buy humidty packs that are the perfect humidty for these buds, ill try and find a link but these packs you just place in the jars and it stops them drying out to much like regular humidity packs these are mixed to provide the perfect humidity for a cure, so thats an option for you if you have problems in the future as it would stop them drying out to much and would allow for a regular cure.

Jar them once the stems snap instead of bending. Drying fast preserves color but imparts harshness. Drying slowly allows chlorophyll to degrade, resulting in a smoother smoke. If you over-dry you can add a slice of apple or piece of lettuce for a day to increase jar humidity--but don't forget to remove it.

Make sure you don't go away for over a day if you put anything with moisture in the jars or you may risk bud mold.Best was to achieve a high thc content is to harvest at the proper time and flavor is to flush.

I have tried the orange peel technique and have had good results to my taste anyway.

I wonder who discovered the water cure method,they must of had a lot of overages on their hands.To me that would be a crazy experiment!

Thanks again for all he replys,

They have now been in jars for 6 days and they are starting to smell lovely they are a little bit sticky but wow have the buds changed the potency and smell has got better quite dramatically, so I'm hoping another week of what I'm doing and the stickyness will fade
I'm happy with the quality of buds and if they continue to get better then brilliant. Just hope I don't mess it up from here haha.

Thanks for all the advice guys it's really helped me to get some brilliant results.

Rambo ;)

Back
Top Bottom