How to make CBD oil from hemp?

Mystical Mama

420 Member
Hi, I can't find a thread to help me so here goes!

I have hemp that is 13% CBD and want to make oil for edibles and topicals. I have read that decarboxylation of CBD is different than THC...that it needs to be longer or higher temp. But how much longer and at what higher temp?

I want to try the pressure cooker method that I saw on this forum if possible but not sure what adjustments to make from the original steps.

Thank you in advance!

Oh! And if you suggest a different method for high potency extraction with an oil (not RSO - too chicken to deal with sticky tacky) instead of the pressure cooker, please link. I don't care much if it smells like weed bc I live on top of a mountain!

IMG_4564.jpg

I haven't done specifically CBD, but everything I read says it decarbs the same. My favourite strain is high CBD and it works . I use a Moka pot. It is dead simple. Decarb and crush the bud, pack it in the filter basket. Put 1/4 stick of butter in the bottom and fill with water. Then brew the pot as normal. I pour a little extra melted butter through the filter before I seal it up. And be sure to use something to press out the filter. Then you just put the liquid in the fridge for a couple of hours and a nice block of canna-butter forms on top. No fuss. No mess. My last batch was so strong I have to quarter the brownies. edit: I used 10 grams of bud, that made 36 1/4 brownie portions.

I haven't done specifically CBD, but everything I read says it decarbs the same. My favourite strain is high CBD and it works . I use a Moka pot. It is dead simple. Decarb and crush the bud, pack it in the filter basket. Put 1/4 stick of butter in the bottom and fill with water. Then brew the pot as normal. I pour a little extra melted butter through the filter before I seal it up. And be sure to use something to press out the filter. Then you just put the liquid in the fridge for a couple of hours and a nice block of canna-butter forms on top. No fuss. No mess. My last batch was so strong I have to quarter the brownies. edit: I used 10 grams of bud, that made 36 1/4 brownie portions.
Awww, man! I have every coffee brewing apparatus known to woman EXCEPT the Moka pot!

1. So you crush and pack the bud into the metal strainer where the coffee would go and before heating it up, you pour a little extra butter over the bud first?

2. brew as usual...if I remember correctly it's kinda like a percolator...so the water/butter mixture washes over and through the bud but for how long?

I like dead simple!

Where do you source 200-proof alcohol? That's another reason I won't do RSO. Do you have to extract outside because of blowing-up potential?

Awww, man! I have every coffee brewing apparatus known to woman EXCEPT the Moka pot!

1. So you crush and pack the bud into the metal strainer where the coffee would go and before heating it up, you pour a little extra butter over the bud first?

2. brew as usual...if I remember correctly it's kinda like a percolator...so the water/butter mixture washes over and through the bud but for how long?

I like dead simple!
It boils up through the moka pot in less than a minute, that's why I presaturate the filter with a bit of butter, to extend the extraction time. Then when you press it out at the end, I think what comes out there is pretty strong. I also decarb using a mason jar like Nunyabiz says, I do 45 minutes at 250.

Where do you source 200-proof alcohol? That's another reason I won't do RSO. Do you have to extract outside because of blowing-up potential?
There are several different 200 proof alcohols.
I use Extractahol.
The Source Turbo is a closed system thats under a vacuum and it only heats the alcohol to 105 degrees under vacuum so there is no fumes at all and I get about 95% of the alcohol back.

It boils up through the moka pot in less than a minute, that's why I presaturate the filter with a bit of butter, to extend the extraction time. Then when you press it out at the end, I think what comes out there is pretty strong. I also decarb using a mason jar like Nunyabiz says, I do 45 minutes at 250.
how do you press it out? I have weak (nerve damage) hands. I have an herbal press for my herbal tinctures.

how do you press it out? I have weak (nerve damage) hands. I have an herbal press for my herbal tinctures.
I have a small juice glass that just fits in the filter. I sheath it in a plastic baggie and just compress it back into the base. It isn't difficult.

I have a small juice glass that just fits in the filter. I sheath it in a plastic baggie and just compress it back into the base. It isn't difficult.
That makes sense. I would need to find the perfect fit as well! I can no longer squeeze with. my hands is what I meant to imply.

Fill 5 cm of water in the pressure cooker.
Place finely grated CBD hemp in a glass jar (jam jar) and seal it. Place the jar in the pressure cooker on level 2 (which will be around 119°C).

When the valve comes out, set the pressure cooker to level 2 (on the stove) and decarboxylate for 30 minutes.

After that, fill the jar with MCT or Olive oil (without weighing), so that the liquid level (oil) lightly covers the hemp.
Add enough water in the slow cooker so that it's level with the oil.

Then, set it to "warm" (which is around 70°C) and let it simmer for 16 hours or overnight.
It will be ready in the morning.
Then strain it.

It's really amazing and strong.
:blunt:

Fill 5 cm of water in the pressure cooker.
Place finely grated CBD hemp in a glass jar (jam jar) and seal it. Place the jar in the pressure cooker on level 2 (which will be around 119°C).

When the valve comes out, set the pressure cooker to level 2 (on the stove) and decarboxylate for 30 minutes.

After that, fill the jar with MCT or Olive oil (without weighing), so that the liquid level (oil) lightly covers the hemp.
Add enough water in the slow cooker so that it's level with the oil.

Then, set it to "warm" (which is around 70°C) and let it simmer for 16 hours or overnight.
It will be ready in the morning.
Then strain it.

It's really amazing and strong.
:blunt:
I really want to use my pressure cooker! I have an InstantPot so it doesn't have levels. What would Level 2 be on an electric? I think it only has 2 levels - High Pressure: 10.2 to 11.6 psi (0.7 – 0.8 bar) Low Pressure: 5.8 to 7.2 psi (0.4 – 0.5 bar).

So the first step is dry decarb? Second step is extract?

How do you strain? Cheesecloth and squeeze? I wish there was a more efficient way bc I get so much product on my hands (which is good for the old arthritis!) but feels wasteful.

How do you strain? Cheesecloth and squeeze? I wish there was a more efficient way bc I get so much product on my hands (which is good for the old arthritis!) but feels wasteful.
This is exactly why I started using the Moka pot. Zero mess and waste.

Mine is just a single cup version. I suppose if you wanted to do larger batches, you would probably get longer extraction times too. Mine is perfect to do 1/4 stick of butter which is exactly enough for one batch of brownies!

Decarboxylation of CBD is indeed different than THC and requires a higher temperature and longer heating time. The optimal temperature range for decarboxylating CBD is between 220°F and 250°F (104°C and 121°C), and it can take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes depending on the starting material and the desired potency.

I have hemp that is 13% CBD and want to make oil for edibles and topicals. I have read that decarboxylation of CBD is different than THC...that it needs to be longer or higher temp. But how much longer and at what higher temp?

I want to try the pressure cooker method that I saw on this forum if possible but not sure what adjustments to make from the original steps.

Thank you in advance!

Oh! And if you suggest a different method for high potency extraction with an oil (not RSO - too chicken to deal with sticky tacky) instead of the pressure cooker, please link. I don't care much if it smells like weed bc I live on top of a mountain!
Hey there! Decarboxylating CBD is a bit different from THC. For your hemp with 13% CBD, you'll want to decarb it at around 240°F (115°C) for about 1 to 1.5 hours. This will activate the CBD and make it ready to work its magic in your edibles and topicals.

If you're considering the pressure cooker method, it's worth trying! Just remember to adjust the time and temperature to suit your hemp's needs. It might take a little experimentation, but you'll get the hang of it!

Alternatively, you can try the oven decarboxylation process. Pop your hemp in an oven-safe dish, bake it at 240°F (115°C) for around 1 to 1.5 hours, and you're good to go!

For a high potency extraction, using a carrier oil like coconut or olive oil is fantastic. Just gently heat the oil, add your decarboxylated hemp, let it infuse for a few hours, and strain out the plant material. Then you've got a versatile CBD-infused oil for all kinds of uses!

And don't worry about the weed smell, especially since you live on a mountain! Enjoy your CBD oil adventure!

Ingredients and Equipment:​

1. Hemp Flower or Hemp Biomass:Choose high-quality hemp flower or biomass with a high CBD content. The quality of your starting material will impact the quality of the final CBD oil.
  2. Carrier Oil:Common carrier oils include olive oil, coconut oil, or MCT (medium-chain triglyceride) oil. Choose an oil based on your preferences and the intended use of the CBD oil.
  3. Grinder:To break down the hemp flower or biomass for better extraction.
  4. Double Boiler or Slow Cooker:To control the temperature during the extraction process.
  5. Cheesecloth or Fine Mesh Strainer:For filtering out plant material from the oil.
  6. Storage Container:A dark glass container to store the finished CBD oil.

Steps:​

1. Decarboxylation:
  • Preheat your oven to around 220–240°F (105–115°C).
  • Grind the hemp flower or biomass.
  • Spread the ground material evenly on a baking sheet and bake for about 30–45 minutes. This process activates the CBD by converting CBDA (cannabidiolic acid) into CBD through heat.
2. Extraction:
  • Combine the decarboxylated hemp with your chosen carrier oil in a double boiler or slow cooker.
  • Heat the mixture on low to medium heat for several hours (2-6 hours). This allows the CBD to be extracted into the oil.
  • Stir occasionally and monitor the temperature to avoid overheating.
3. Straining:
  • Once the extraction is complete, let the mixture cool slightly.
  • Strain the mixture through cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer into a bowl or container to separate the plant material from the liquid.
4. Storage:
  • Transfer the strained liquid (now CBD-infused oil) into a dark glass container for storage. Dark glass helps protect the oil from light exposure, which can degrade cannabinoids.
  • Store the container in a cool, dark place.

Notes:​

• The ratio of hemp to carrier oil can vary based on personal preference and desired potency. A common starting point is around 1 cup of oil to 1 ounce (28 grams) of hemp flower.
  • Experiment with different carrier oils to find the one that suits your taste and needs.
  • It's important to note that homemade CBD oil may not have a standardized concentration of CBD, so dosing may be less precise compared to commercially available products.

I use the process from SweetSue's Instant Pot Cannabis Oil thread. Basically two separate runs through the IP on high for an hour and 50 minutes each. Then I strain through damp cheesecloth, pressing it out with either a potato ricer or a pasta screw press.

The type of oil I use depends on it use. For tropicals I use coconut oil for massage type oils, and grape seed oil for oils I want to be absorbed more deeply rather than sitting on top of the skin. For edibles, it's either EVOO or vegetable glycerin for me.

CBD is in fact decarbed at a higher temperature but I don't mind if it's not all decarbed as there is also great value in the acidic versions of all of the cannabinoids including CBD-a. In fact, CBD-a is said to be absorbed much better than CBD, like more than 10x better, so less is needed.

It does hit slightly different receptors in the body so I think there is real value in having both versions in your final product.

Back
Top Bottom