HPS vs LED

JoetheChro

Been growing just shy of 20 years now. Always indoors. Always Guerilla. Always HPS. I understand the benefits of LED but feel pound for pound HPS trumps LEDs all day long.

Last photo grow I done I got nearly 4 ounces a plant, yet a good friend of mine swore I would have got more had I used LEDs.

This seems a bit of a stretch, I can't see the format of lights making that much of a difference. Is he hyping up LEDs too much?

And yes I know many will cry out the LEDs are cheaper to run spiel but that don't wash for me. HPS kicks ass. Once the heat is tamed and tempered ;)

I grow with Leds and consistently get 4 ounces plus per plant. I just completed a Auto flower grow and got over 6 ounces per plant on two different plants. I grow in LOS in 20 gallon pots.

I grow with Leds and consistently get 4 ounces plus per plant. I just completed a Auto flower grow and got over 6 ounces per plant on two different plants. I grow in LOS in 20 gallon pots.

Mate I'm growing in 40 litre buckets. Are you talking 20 fluid US gallons? That's 73-75 litres my end. Would not make sense growing an auto in a massive plot like that? Or am I wrong?

I guess I should add that not all Leds are created equal. I use (non sponsor) original quantum boards.

Swear down?

So if you were growing with my set up with the extended time you'd grow twice as much? What was your time from seed to harvest?
Well the grow that I just completed were Auto's, so they start flowering 2 - 3 weeks after sprouting automatically. The breeder said 65 days sprout to harvest but they went around 110 days.

Mate I'm growing in 40 litre buckets. Are you talking 20 fluid US gallons? That's 73-75 litres my end. Would not make sense growing an auto in a massive plot like that? Or am I wrong?
Yes 20 USA gallon pots, Living organic soil. I re-use the soil. I am just starting another grow now, this time photos. I usually veg photos for 6 weeks then flip to 12/12. Bigger pots, bigger roots

So you had autos that went 15 weeks?
14 - 15 weeks, sprout to harvest, They could have gone another week or 2, first of January to middle of April

Not their first rodeo so Vegan4life brings it. ;)

The deal with 20 gallons is when using living organic soil you need a minumim of 15 to 20 gallons to sustain soil health and if the soil is built properly it can be a water only grow. Heck you can even water every day. Even with water only feeds you still have the option of adding crap like silica, fishy ferts, teas, liquid kelp or any organic top dressing.

Not their first rodeo so Vegan4life brings it. ;)

The deal with 20 gallons is when using living organic soil you need a minumim of 15 to 20 gallons to sustain soil health and if the soil is built properly it can be a water only grow. Heck you can even water every day. Even with water only feeds you still have the option of adding crap like silica, fishy ferts, teas, liquid kelp or any organic top dressing.
Yup, I add sprouted seed teas (Alfalfa, blue corn), malted barley powder, silica, coconut water, Buildasoil craft blend, BAS Big 6 (micro nutrients), I also keep a mulch layer and red worms in the pots, worms feed on the mulch and they leave the magic poop. Not sure why my autos went so long, maybe the large pots and they had everything they could ask for so they did not feel the need to rush...

Back
Top Bottom