Huge temp & RH fluctuation: Help!

scrumpdilly

Having a very strange issue. I can only grow in the fall/winter/ early spring because temps get too high later in the year. Had no problems at all with temps and rh all last year but right now I can't seem to get my tent below 80-82°F with lights on. No problem getting cold once they turn off though. Obviously the temperature is going to be a little higher in the tent because of the lights but I have my thermostat in the house set to 64°F right now and it is still 81°F in the tent. Humidity is also super low hovering anywhere from 15%-36%. I have two small clip-on fans and one of them is pulling air from inside the room the tent is in in the tent and also a 6in exhaust out of the tent connected to a carbon filter. The strange part is that when I open the tent it definitely does not feel like it is 80° in there. It feels closer to 70°. You can tell because generally when it was that much higher of a difference in the tent the heat would blast you in the face as soon as you open the door. I have used two hygrometers and they both are around the same numbers but not exactly the same. I even put a cover over the vent so no more heat would pump into the room when the heat for the house kicks on and I'm leaving the door open for the room in the tent is in so the colder air in other rooms can recycle in here I just don't understand why there would be such a huge difference when nothing has changed from last year. The only thing I can think is I have two crappy hygrometers, but they both seem to register at 64°F and the rh is steady at around 33% when I put them in the other rooms in the house.

If absolutely nothing has changed is your carbon filter dirty limiting your airflow?

Is the room the tent is in warmer than the rest of the house?

This is probably a dumb question but how could I tell if the filter is dirty? The airflow coming out of it feels a little weaker than it used to but not by much. The tent room is warmer than the rest of the house but it always has been and I figure that's because of the open ports I have on the tent as well as the fan blowing out hot air and blowing it into the room which is why when it got too hot in there I used to just be able to open the bedroom door and it would cool the room off immediately.

If absolutely nothing has changed is your carbon filter dirty limiting your airflow?

Is the room the tent is in warmer than the rest of the house?
Also my fan/filter set up is outside of the tent because it's not a huge tent.

I also just completed a grow and the humidity was between 30%-60% and temp with lights on was generally between 74-78°F. The whole time... The filter is a little over a year old but still blocks odor.

It's pretty tricky to visually check these filters because you can't typically see the dirt stuck inside the black carbon unless it's drywall dust haha. Just because the carbon isn't saturated does not mean it's not restricted.
Higher temps with lower humidity same setup, the air is staying in contact with the heat source for too long, it's getting hotter and therefore drier before it's exhausted from the tent.
It sounds like your just recycling hot air through the tent. The warmer the room gets the hotter the tent gets. You need to move the heat out of the room so it can pull the cold air from the rest of the house through it.

Two thoughts. First one unhook your filter for awhile during lights on. Does the temp drop? You need more airflow through the tent.

If no change from unhooking the filter put a box fan blowing cold air in through the door way of the room to lower the temp of your air going into the tent.

Back
Top Bottom