Humidity/Smell vs. Exhaust fan issue?

Sounds like nothing more than the fan is running so efficiently that it is pulling air from the tent faster than the humidifiers can add enough humidity to show on the tool that is measuring it.

Since you want the air exchange to be pretty much constant to keep the odor down you can consider a speed controller for the fan. That might allow you to slow the fan down to the point where it is moving only 75% of the air allowing for a small increase in humidity. It might be enough to keep the smell at a tolerable level.

Though, not worrying about the humidity any more and letting it be what it is currently might be better for your blood pressure.
I use a fan speed controller just as you say to control temp/rh
In another grow a long time ago I soon realized I was pumping in CO2 then sucking it right out again :rolleyes:
Now I let the air circulate a bit more before it gets sucked out by reducing the rate of extraction [is that vpd?]
SMSCOM controller with an RVK centrifugal fan with optional temp probe which I don't use
Best I can find in Euroland

Thanks everyone. I’ve tried every option that you’ve all listed from the second speed controller to a timer that allows the fan to be off for 15 minute intervals etc. I’ll just have to live with low RH because my whole goal here is to keep the smell out. Turning off the fan for even 15 minute intervals allows the smell in my shed to seriously intensify especially during flower and I just don’t like having people walk in there to that smell. And even with off time for the exhaust fan I still can’t seem to get the RH dialled in so bye-bye humidifiers.

Thanks everyone. I’ve tried every option that you’ve all listed from the second speed controller to a timer that allows the fan to be off for 15 minute intervals etc. I’ll just have to live with low RH because my whole goal here is to keep the smell out. Turning off the fan for even 15 minute intervals allows the smell in my shed to seriously intensify especially during flower and I just don’t like having people walk in there to that smell. And even with off time for the exhaust fan I still can’t seem to get the RH dialled in so bye-bye humidifiers.
You tried all the right things and came to the right conclusion: you gotta live with it and make do
:hookah:

With low humidity expect a greater need for Potassium, which would also impact calcium. You’ll also want to increase your watering and you could likely lower any sort of fans you have running. It’s not a deal breaker, just something to adapt to.

It’s all about adapting to the conditions. I had the same problem and wound up solving it by moving equipment around for a different airflow pattern. If I couldn’t do that I probably would’ve built a sprayer system. After that I would’ve given up and just increased nutrients and watering lol

With low humidity you could foliar feed super effectively at specific times and boost productivity, so there’s a positive of the environment.

With low humidity expect a greater need for Potassium, which would also impact calcium. You’ll also want to increase your watering and you could likely lower any sort of fans you have running. It’s not a deal breaker, just something to adapt to.

It’s all about adapting to the conditions. I had the same problem and wound up solving it by moving equipment around for a different airflow pattern. If I couldn’t do that I probably would’ve built a sprayer system. After that I would’ve given up and just increased nutrients and watering lol
Thanks for the potassium suggestion. Guess that’s why I get this on multiple leaves during my grows. It doesn’t usually get out of hand but it seems to be fairly consistent.

IMG_7683.jpeg

Thanks for the potassium suggestion. Guess that’s why I get this on multiple leaves during my grows. It doesn’t usually get out of hand but it seems to be fairly consistent.

IMG_7683.jpeg

That looks a little more calcium to me.. Does it start as tiny little almost perfect circles?

That is a very good idea Keff :thumb:

I heard it on an agriculture podcast. I believe it’s also part of the doc bud program, and a few other methods. I know it’s effective, and it works. However I am in a carpeted attic where it’s been raining for days now, so foliar spraying isn’t a great option for me.

I heard it on an agriculture podcast. I believe it’s also part of the doc bud program, and a few other methods. I know it’s effective, and it works. However I am in a carpeted attic where it’s been raining for days now, so foliar spraying isn’t a great option for me.
What's a podcast?
Who is doc bud?
Why do you have carpet in the attic, are you actively trying to grow mould?
Why does it make any difference whether it's been raining outside or not?
:smokin:

What's a podcast?

Downloadable radio. Anyone with a microphone and a computer can produce a podcast. You can find them on iPhones under the podcast app, android I don’t know. Google also will turn up many. It’s how I consume information if I’m not reading.

Who is doc bud?

A user here, I believe the name is @Doc Bud of @Doc Bud’s High Brix Blend He has a whole bunch of journals about his journey toward the high Brix growing method. Basically a bunch of calcium makes a much healthier plant. Toss in some foliar sprays and you have a healthy, high quality flower. (Wayyyy oversimplified it)

Why do you have carpet in the attic, are you actively trying to grow mould?

It’s a Detroit bungalow house. The attic is a second room on the second floor. The second floor is a bedroom with a door in it that leads to an uninsulated room.

Why does it make any difference whether it's been raining outside or not?
:smokin:

Due to the lack of insulation in the room, I am at the mercy of the weather. Due to the dimensions of this room I also cannot have a sealed tent. So between the lack of insulation and the lack of sealed tent, I have to adapt to the weather. It’s why I have 6 fans, 2 humidifiers, and 2 heaters.

:passitleft:

That looks a little more calcium to me.. Does it start as tiny little almost perfect circles?
I actually don’t remember. It doesn’t seem to me like it was perfect little circles. But it certainly could have been. I will look for more when I get home tomorrow. If it’s calcium deficiency then something is up because I feed her cal-mag on every watering. I thought it was a potassium deficiency a few days ago and was stoked when I thought that you basically confirmed it. But now I’m not sure.

I actually don’t remember. It doesn’t seem to me like it was perfect little circles. But it certainly could have been. I will look for more when I get home tomorrow. If it’s calcium deficiency then something is up because I feed her cal-mag on every watering. I thought it was a potassium deficiency a few days ago and was stoked when I thought that you basically confirmed it. But now I’m not sure.

Try to get a clearer shot of the issue, it’s at the bottom so it’s out of focus and hard to see. Potassium usually effects the tips and serrations more than the middle of the leaf.

What's a podcast?
Downloadable radio. Anyone with a microphone and a computer can produce a podcast. You can find them on iPhones under the podcast app, android I don’t know. Google also will turn up many. It’s how I consume information if I’m not reading.
Yep, a form of stored, often amateur, radio shows that can be downloaded or left and the server and listen to any convenient time. There are podcasts devoted to every possible topic on the planet. All levels of amateur or professionalism in the way the podcast is put together. Sometimes it is the podcaster kicking around some ideas and other times it could be interviewing someone else that has the same interests.

I have come across websites that are devoted to lists and lists of podcasts. All the listener had to do is click on any one of them that interests them and listen to it.

Back
Top Bottom