HydroSoil: The Future of Soil Growing

i don't see what prevents the soil from washing down and clogging the air input area

One thing prevents it for sure, that's nobodies seems to be using this method lol

On a basic level the concept seems sound but i see flaws. This IMO would only be worth doing if using pure organics, if u were to add nutes i'd just go full dwc and benefit from the faster growth rates. But even then i thing there are way more effecient ways to grow.

Water temps will be an issue, it would be hard for the water to be kept below 70f as no chiller could be used. It wouldnt take long for the res to reach room temp. then u could be looking at drenched medium with less oxygen due to the over saturation of the soil and the unability of the water to carry dissolved oxygen. Its dissolved oxygen in the water that the roots want.

once u get any sizeable plant the res would need fill daily if not more often. if u used a 5 gallon bucket with a gallon of that space as the res the roots would dry that out in no time, the roots would grow into the hydroton and u effectively end up with a dry soil as the roots would wick the liquid straight from the bottom.

I this would also keep humidity raised in the grow room, the more plants u run, the more humidity there would be and in flower high humidity causes probs.

These are just my opinions, i havent used a set up like this but im experienced in hydro and currently have a soil dwc running. Once the roots break through the soil they just sit in the res, i dont see this being any different.

What if a means of inducing DO in water could be achieved, say like with electrolysis? Would this damage the soil and nutrients there in?

I'd like to see someone try this. This is sort of the same as the Oxygen Pot Systems in the way that it waters from the bottom up pushing oxygen up into the root system. I agree with Cultivator that water temps and humidity would become a problem. I would think that fine sediment and minerals would settle to the bottom.

I would think one would need to use fabric bags for the best possible absorption and drain qualities. Especially if using DO infused water in a E&F system to bottom water.

How much of the root ball/planter must be submerged I wonder to water properly? Could burlap be used for the fabric planters?

Anybody suggest a good supply place? Is herbies or attitude cool?

Has anybody started a journal with this method yet? I think using supersoil with this method would put out some awesome results. Just use water and let the supersoil do it's job.Maybe using pantyhose between the lavarock and soil would prevent the roots from going down into the rocks but still allow the air to go to the roots.

There's a guy on YouTube that's done a successful hydro soil grow. I just wish he would of explained his setup . But if u type in hydro soil hybrid grow you'll see it.

air inject of soil?

here's some tips from my experience. The first one to be use a plastic air pump. The metal piston ones generate too much heat and just push hot air under the roots. The second would be, yes make sure you have a drain hole at the bottom of the pot. I just put a three-quarter inch hole on the side down at the bottom with an expandable rubber stopper to plug it up when I'm not using it. but yes due to the salt buildup you will definitely need to flush this thing. Anyway hope this helps for anyone trying it. the link at the top is a little bit from when I tried.

Bump

So it's been a year or so since I've posted this thread. I still haven't seen any grows with the concept but I'm sure it's due to many factors. Right off the bat I would feel weird watching my soil be soaked and bubble. And also, you have to ask yourself the practicality of this concept.

I believe there is a ground breaking product to be designed here. I'm sure there's a perfect balance (hell maybe already a product) that slowly aerates your soil so you can't overwater. I assume it would also increase nutrient uptake and such. I would imagine the device would allow you to water slightly more but the growth would be exponential.

I will fersure give this a serious thought one day. But as another on page 1 I belief said "you might as well go full dwc".

Also think about this. If you take your current dwc system and fill it mostly up with soil to make it this "hybrid". Very quickly you'll find out you'll have to water much more often. As that soil is now 90% of the container.

So clearly there is a fine line imo to be played with. If you inject a steady slow amount of air. I believe you will get maximum soil growth with faster nutrient uptake and / or more waterings. Also the total amount of your watering could be increased due to the pot not starving for oxygen. (But if ones serious we need to find that balance)

-trom

Hi all, I am a newbie but oddly enough, when researching methods of growing round 2013, I stumbled across this and tried growing Okra and Badji (an Asiatic green native to India that is awesomely similar to cannabis, but legal for me to grow in Texas.) At any rate, this method works but I recommend letting the pots dry a bit, to where the air forces up little pits in the soil. Let it get dry then add water. I also used an airstone and covered it with cheese cloth that kept particulates out of it. As for salt buildup, alternate feed and water and since you are in soil, you have a great buffer and it is very forgiving if you can get over the moldy soil issue this can create.

I did this in two separate containers a kind of sip drip hydro soil setup outdoors where I bottom watered and top watered using organic teas the growth was explosive after I added the sip drip hydro soil set up its in my journal on here but this is the first time I have seen this thread or any info on it.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

The one little thing you're forgetting is, Soil growing is all about the Soil... This abortion is the product of some stoners fryed mind, or maybe two stoners... A little of this , a little of that, blow some air in it.... Leave it to somebody who's smokin it, to complicate it, with a new way to grow it.... Growing weed is about the simplest thing there is to grow... Don't get me wrong, i don't grow in soil, i think it's a pia to do it right... Go simple, Grow big, Go hydro in any of its forms.... By the way, this is not one...

The one little thing you're forgetting is, Soil growing is all about the Soil... This abortion is the product of some stoners fryed mind, or maybe two stoners... A little of this , a little of that, blow some air in it.... Leave it to somebody who's smokin it, to complicate it, with a new way to grow it.... Growing weed is about the simplest thing there is to grow... Don't get me wrong, i don't grow in soil, i think it's a pia to do it right... Go simple, Grow big, Go hydro in any of its forms.... By the way, this is not one...
At some point hydro was just an idea too bud

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Oh Mud, thanks for the heads up.... Everything is an idea first, right?... Gee, wonder how i missed that....
Without guidance such as yours, i would be truly lost... Keep up the good work... ;)
I'm not much for trashy exchanges online so if you want we can meet up and figure out who has the bigger member or we can just agree to disagree whichever you prefer I'm not slamming your methods or even care what you use to grow your plants here's a few I helped grow in hydro bud.
c0447e3b9a9d896a0429db516accd8ac.jpg

Back
Top Bottom