I can't even get my seeds started

Domino889

I bought a good amount of seeds (feminised) auto flowering and substandard white widow. I have spent an absolute fortune on a 80 x 80 x 180 600 W cfl full indoor soil set up and cant even lift the seeds past being a ugly little seed. Ive tried soil, tissue and floating in water... still nothing. Im starting to feel like i wasted my money. Can anyone advise of anything i could potentially be doing in error? Ive been placing them in the airong cupboard above the big water tank for warmth either between 2 plates in tissue or the others in seedling soil wrapped in cling film in complete darkness. I must have wasted 6 seeds an 0 movement. Cheers 420 family.

L ☺

Hey and welcome to :420:

Can't really tell what's going wrong. Will just let you know how I do it, maybe we can figure it out from there.
Get a glass of tap water, let it get to room temperature, place the seed in water, put glass in a normal cupboard in the room. I don't use any heat besides room temperature. After 12 hours take a finger and poke the little ones until they sink (if they don't sink, give it a few more hours, then try poking it to the bottom again). A small white taproot will appear after 12-24 hours (can take longer). When the taproot is sticking out enough to be visible, I use a plate with a wet paper towel and after transferring the seeds on, cover with another wet one and after put plate in a plastic bag. Check again in 12-24 hours (can take longer) and you should have a long taproot, then it's time for soil. Fill a pot/container/cup with soil and make a hole in middle, put the seed taproot down (be careful), then place in the tent with a minimum of 12 hours of light / day (you can even go 24 hours of light, would suggest 18/6 for auto's). A baby should poke it's head up soon from there.
That was my whole process, hope it helped.:love:
:Namaste:

Hola!!! That's great. I'm currently soaking 2 in water at present thank you for the advise. I'll report back my findings as soon as possible and let you know how it went. Much appreciated !!

I'm also using bottled water. That thought had crossed my mind as water is super hard In london thanks for the thought tho buddy :)

Went to check on the potting soil + perlite in the airing cupboard this morning, couldn't believe my eyes
420-magazine-mobile660564122.jpg

Any tips for this part or is all in order ? Thanks guys much appreciated . .

L

I bought a good amount of seeds (feminised) auto flowering and substandard white widow. I have spent an absolute fortune on a 80 x 80 x 180 600 W cfl full indoor soil set up and cant even lift the seeds past being a ugly little seed. Ive tried soil, tissue and floating in water... still nothing. Im starting to feel like i wasted my money. Can anyone advise of anything i could potentially be doing in error? Ive been placing them in the airong cupboard above the big water tank for warmth either between 2 plates in tissue or the others in seedling soil wrapped in cling film in complete darkness. I must have wasted 6 seeds an 0 movement. Cheers 420 family.

L ☺

In the future, don't place them between two plates of wrap them. They need some oxygen, warmth and moisture.

420-magazine-mobile1372497224.jpg
a little bit dispointed with the cotyldons being damaged this earily on. I have a feeling I had the light a little too close any other ideas ? Thanks :).

L

420-magazine-mobile670618990.jpg
this is where I'm at now. 5th and 6th leaf looking a little tattered. Anyone have any input at all ?

I would let it grow out, seems like a mutation to me. Sometimes they start growing normal leaves, sometimes they don't but still produce some buds (might be smaller or bigger then an average plant). You can't know for sure from here, just make sure you aren't overwatering and not feeding anything and even the ugly ones will reward you with something. :love:

Sorry for the late one guys. I seem to have 2 more leafs coming in and they seem to be a better condition. I'm not really watering all that much. Just the occasional spray on the top of the soil. I've not yet soaked it through I guess I don't need to yet. I've not looked In on her today so i will update with pictures when I get near her. Cheers for the help here you guys

I'd give my soil a nice aloe Vera drench then just plant my seeds straight in the soil. If you don't have aloe vera just make sure your soil is moist. Plant your seeds straight in. Don't water again until you have a few leave on your seedling.

I would let it grow out, seems like a mutation to me. Sometimes they start growing normal leaves, sometimes they don't but still produce some buds (might be smaller or bigger then an average plant). You can't know for sure from here, just make sure you aren't overwatering and not feeding anything and even the ugly ones will reward you with something. :love:
420-magazine-mobile1992436.jpg
hey Tenshi today is looking much better on the leaf shape for the next set. I got my fingers crossed just these 2 little guys suffered will eventually remove these. Do you have any tips at all for me at this stage? Thanks for your advise . . .

Hi
What happened to the rest of the seeds ...? You should still be able to spout them ... or at least some of them. I made the same mistake a month ago ... despite it being my fourth grow! Airing cupboard is way too warm ... some may sprout, but you'll only get a small success rate.

I took all the seeds and moved them to a kitchen drawer. 5 of the seven sprouted within a couple of days ...

Normally I start them off in damp tissue (keep it reasonably moist ... between a few layers), and in a dark space, at about the 70 degree mark (ambient room temperature, unless you're somewhere really hot or cold). Replant when they've sprouted.

As to the seedling you've got going now ... just keep watering when it gets dry (easiest to test by weight of cup). Bottom two sets of leaves will probably die out soonish. All looks fine for now

I usually try and FIM at the third set of full leaves (I can't be bothered to wait for the fifth set) - the plant has never died on me.

Good luck growing - and give those other seeds a try in somewhere cooler ...

Back
Top Bottom