Multiple questions - Please help! - Lighting & seed sprouting - Scoring

Bacondoggy

I only got one out of 5 to sprout. Tried toilet paper in water and just planting directly in ground with noce soil to hold water but NO additives. I want it to sproit before THINKING about ammending soil. After a week they would like like they didnt even try to open. Tough shell, not broken open, seeds appear still palatable but who cares? Do they need light even though their covered in dirt and in a moist environment or is warmth/humidity more important? ***PLEASE help!

On another note I have been having problems sprout in these great beans I was given. I am in a stranger position, I dont want tonsaybits the seeds or tarnish the name of the company, however I anlm on their 5th seed and only 1 sprouted!!! What am I doing wrong? Do they need light BEFORE they sprout? I keep them moist and have in a premium porting soil. I wanted to add lime and blah blah, but right now I am trying to stick with simple nothingness except real good soil with no extra anything until I'm inthe first 2 weeks or so...the beans aren't opening but still feel "ok" (if that makes sense). So is it not hot enough? Should I be worried more about heat or having the seed in contact with the son? Im keep in it moist... should I have "scored" the seed (something I never did)??? I dont want to waste them and so far I dropped one whenn trying to replant (and another one went way down in mixed soil). I hate to waste them. I am poor! Speaking of poor. I need to get a CHEAP light setup for 1-2 plants (God willing). I have 1 13w cfl and 2 led lights that are supposed to be 2 28 1w LEDS (Underdriven of course), some are infrared and uv. Would a generic "ufo" light work? Say 150w? Saw a 75w one (just 1-2or plants if these seeds ever sprout). Also you have the 1, 3 ,5 and maybe even higher watt (single watt) leds now. I assume they are more efficient (and expensive - hah!) Now if I can FIND a company that makes these and is willing to do something that would be a GREAT product for everyone; if you only knew im talking billions. Anyone who knows someone in the LED. Lighting business that can have their industry revolutionized PLEASE let me know. I havent been on much I have been so upset of the turn of events, I became a recluse...

Thank young listening. I habe been so frustrated any help will help me too, so thanks in advance!!!!!!!
Mark

re: Multiple questions - Please help! - Lighting & seed sprouting - Scoring

The way we germinate is the following:

Day 1: Put the seed into a cup with 16 oz with a cap full of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Let it sit for 16-24 hours.

Day 2: Take the seed out of the water, it should have sunk to the bottom, and place it into a moist paper towel in between 2 plates. Now from this point on we want moist or wet with no standing water. Let it sit in a warm environment (70 degrees or so) for 24 hours. Making sure the paper towel stays wet, but not too wet.

Day 3: Plant the seed 1/4" to 1/2" down into the soil with the tap root up. Now the soil we water it completely the day before we plant it so that the seed stays where we put it. Don't water the pot after the seed has sprouted. There will be enough moisture there to sustain it for a while.

Day 4 or 5: Seedling should be coming up to say hello to the world. We have our lights on due to other plants being in there, but it also helps to get the environment ready for seedling. Keeps the Temps and everything stable.

One problem newer growers have, as we did as well, is over watering. Do NOT water unless the soil is bone dry. You have to remember that it is a weed. Send those roots searching for water.

Hope any of this helps. As for the lights, more light the better bud. Hope someone can help you along with that. :thumb:

Multiple questions- PLEASE HELP!! (lighting and seed sprouting - scoring)?

Light or soil isn't the issues with germination. They really have nothing to do with it. You can get a seed to pop in a plastic bag with tap water and a paper towel. Usually set this on your DVR and it will keep it warm enough. Once you see a root than plant it! Planting straight in soil takes a lot longer. The two most common mistakes I see is the water/soil gets too cold and wet or the seed gets buried in the soil way too deep. 1/4"-1/2" at most. Over saturating the soil with water can be a big mistake as well.

Mars Hydro has great lights for a good value. Everyone has a different budget though. I would recommend LED over CFLs and they will save you in the electricity bill in the long run.

What lights to purchase basically depends on the space you want to cover and your budget. Every company will show you some sort of coverage range or "par" measurements.

I basically do what Nismo does but I just use regular tap water. Soaking the seed for 24hrs seems to help. At about 12 hours I poke the seeds to get them to sink. Instead of plates I just put it in a plastic baggy with the moist paper towel and put it on top of my DVR or an electronic device that is always on, it keeps them warm. As soon as they have popped they go in soil and into my tents with the lights on.

re: Multiple questions - Please help! - Lighting & seed sprouting - Scoring

As the other guys said. I think you're probably overwatering and/or have your temps wrong. Keep the temps on the warm side of room temperature, and the humidity very high but the seed(ling) never soaked and pretty much anything that is going to sprout - will sprout.

How does too much water have anything to do with a seed that HAS NOT popped? I understand concerns of overeating when it pops but until then... sandalwood let them SIT in plain water. So sitting in potting soil thats soaked as long as it hasnt broken open hurts how? Im keeping it warm. If it doesn't sprout im SOL. I never had seeds not pop like this...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

You can in fact sprout seed in a wet paper towel in a sandwich bag. That's exactly how I did mine cuz that's how I've always done my tomatoes lol

How does too much water have anything to do with a seed that HAS NOT popped? I understand concerns of overeating when it pops but until then... sandalwood let them SIT in plain water. So sitting in potting soil thats soaked as long as it hasnt broken open hurts how? Im keeping it warm. If it doesn't sprout im SOL. I never had seeds not pop like this...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Good question. And not one I can really answer except to say that when I've kept seeds too wet they festered and went soft and rotten instead of sprouting. Seems to me that they usually cracked open a little bit first though.

I sprout mine in damp paper towel inside a closed container. Most of my seeds sprout within 24 hours and 95% of them within 48 hours. Everyone has their preferences but personally I really like to know that it sprouted before I plant. I haven't had as much luck when I just plant the seed in the soil.

Re: Multiple questions - Please help! - Lighting & seed sprouting - Scoring

You can in fact sprout seed in a wet paper towel in a sandwich bag. That's exactly how I did mine cuz that's how I've always done my tomatoes lol
Thats how I did the first time no problems. Second one I just put in the ground and it worked but these THREE seeds did not asproud. The dirt has NO additives but perlite yucca cocoa sp. peat. I dont want to "waste" anymore! :(
420-magazine-mobile881221421.jpg

The seeds I guess are just bad? They are not rotten or soft! Still hard which is so weird. Like a duds....

I also used a bunch of bag seeds I been saving so it didn't cost me anything but time but on the other hand I have no clue what I have outside of 2 sativa and an indica of random

Back
Top Bottom