I had to learn the hard way.

zxcvbnm

Miracle Grow potting soil sucks for growing marijuana. My seedlings were 4 days old and some of the roots were starting to show so i needed to go ahead and put them into some soil. I went with MG only because i had no other options at the time.

It didnt take a full 2 days before my leaves started to turn yellow on two of my plants. Needless to say, i went on an adventure and picked up some organic mix at the local greenhouse, transplant went perfect and the plants couldnt be happier. Day 8 now and there doing great.

Journal coming soon.....

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on the MG soil. What I do know is this. If u cracked a bag open or lost ur receipt and are stuck with it, DON'T FERTILIZE, U'LL KILL UR PLANTS!! Just water them with PHed water. Listen to ur plants, they'll tell u when the nutes are gone.There is already fertilizer premixed in and its not formulated specifically for cannabis as what u'd find in a hyro store. my 2 cents since ur getting views, but no responses.

it really depends on the type of MG soil.. I'm growing with MG organic choice soil, which doesn't contain any time release nutrients. The plants have been loving the soil, and I haven't had to feed them yet.

When i start feeding them, i guess we'll see how well they respond.

The MG Organic Choice that they sell here does have time released nutes....so I had to make my own soil... seemed to work k so far.

The MG Organic Choice that they sell here does have time released nutes....so I had to make my own soil... seemed to work k so far.
that's interesting. does it say so on the package? I can't recall if there were different types of organic choice soil when i picked mine up, but i do know it was the only soil they had without the nutes.. Or at least, the bag doesn't make any mention of there being any nutrients inside.

Saw it with my own 2. Has time released nutes. Says up to 3 months worth or nutes.
well that definitely confirms they offer multiple types of the organic choice as my bags of soil mentioned nothing about nutes. I did notice all the other bags saying they feed up to 3 months, but not the ones i bought.

It's good to know though, I was under the impression all of the organic choice was nute free. Always read your packages kids :bong:

Not to say it will not work, I know a few people who have used it successfully out of neccessity but will never admit to it for fear of being publicly flogged, but if you have access to something better it's probably wise to go that way according to the many wise soil growers I have heard from.

I was ignorant to "organic" at first too...
Yes...always read the packaging!!!

Stay tuned...next we will tackle the C.F.L vs H.I.D. vs L.E.D. debate...

I haven't found 1 bag of MG soil that doesn't have time release nutes in it. The bags usually say feeds up to 1 month on up to 3 months. Yes, you can use it to grow cannabis. Will you get the best results? No, probably not. I have also noticed MG soil is not always mixed the same, so different bags can be "hotter" in nutes than the other. I have seen countless seedlings burned up first thing, because of the soil. You could probably be able to get away with using it for veg... Maybe, if you get the right bag. When you get to flowering though and you want to add flowering nutes, you will run into problems. Actually, the flowering stage is where I see the most horrible issues cause by MG. Also for everyone else to be aware Scotts soil is made by MG and should be avoided as well.

Say you don't have the cash for Fox Farm Soil... That's OK! There is other soil out there that is really affordable. It's usually a no name brand that you really have to search for. I wish I had wrote down the kind of soil I used... It was all organic. I got a 40lb bag of it for $4.00 and mixed perlite into it. Go to your local hardware store and take some time to actually look at the products they sell. I find it very annoying that they carry only MG and Scotts soil (made by the same company). They dominate the market and basically give growers no choice. Sad...

You guys were right Ms. Fox knows her stuff. Lowes and home depot dont have much to offer but I live pretty close to a green house that makes there own organic mix and sells it for $5 for a 10 lb bag. Im going to use just soil for the first few weeks then mix in some of my own perlite when i go to a bigger pot.

Thanks for all the in put I am pretty sure some non veterans of the pot growing game can gain alot of knowlege. This is my 3rd grow so I do know a little bit but not like some.

Back
Top Bottom