I missed my watering time

Greencheezit

Today was the day I was going to water my plant the top inch of soil was dry this morning so planned to water tonight but I had unexpected rain and a decent amount is it still ok to water it and add my nutrients I'm wondering because I see alot of people saying things about over watering

Her she is

Attachments

• 15655560040985921225858966898201.jpg
    15655560040985921225858966898201.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
What you need is a 1/4 dowel dipstick so you can see where the water table is in those buckets. It sure beats the lift method to determine when to water. Looking at the size of the plant at that age, I would guess that you are watering too often. I bet you would get a lot out of the world renowned sticky article on here called, How to Properly Water a Potted Plant. In there you will learn that the sticking the finger in the top method, can actually kill a weed in a container because it causes you to water too often. In veg, you really want that soil to go completely dry between waterings... not quite to the wilting stage, but so light if you lifted up the bucket you would not be able to feel any water weight. It would seem to be as dry as the sahara and light as a feather, and you will wonder how in the world the plant could still be standing upright. Your dip stick would tell you that the water table had fallen to the last inch or so of the container, and the top of that underground lake would have created so much suction as it fell that oxygen would be pulled deep down to the lowest roots. Just wait till you learn about the wet/dry cycle... and you will see this plant take off like never before. Check out the link below for the watering thing... it will help, I promise.

I have watered it not more than once a week the weather has been 85 and humid mostly I haven let it completely dry out I was way to scared too until I read your post will it help to drill more holes in the bucket to allow more air to get to the soil ?

I have watered it not more than once a week the weather has been 85 and humid mostly I haven let it completely dry out I was way to scared too until I read your post will it help to drill more holes in the bucket to allow more air to get to the soil ?
More air holes are good, but as long as you have drainage holes in the bottom you are ok... most of the oxygen is pulled down into the soil from the top as the water table drops and the suction caused by that diaphragm dropping, pulls the oxygen deep down into the soil from the surface. This is why it is so important to let that water table drop down into the last inch of the container, so that those lower roots get the oxygen they need... it doesn't come from the bottom holes just by being close.

Back
Top Bottom