I think I’m doing it wrong

cuzzin33

Ok so I have a plant 6 weeks into flower. I've noticed some deficiencies so I looked it up. Clawing and dark green boom nitro tox. So I looked for a solution and I noticed everyone was talking about about ppm. I know they are talking about measuring the runoff. But that made me wonder if I'm doing something even more basic wrong.
Do I Even Water Properly????

Everytime I feed I get a 1 gallon jug of distilled water add nutes and give each plant pretty much the whole gallon. I've never watered until there was water coming out of the pot. 5gallon pots btw. And I do that every 3 to 4 days. And that's all I do from start to finish....if I see some deficiencies I'll do plain ph water for a feeding. I also do just ph water 2 weeks before chop. Is this wrong????

20210215_115818.jpg

20210215_115841.jpg

20210214_125855.jpg

Ok so I have a plant 6 weeks into flower. I've noticed some deficiencies so I looked it up. Clawing and dark green boom nitro tox. So I looked for a solution and I noticed everyone was talking about about ppm. I know they are talking about measuring the runoff. But that made me wonder if I'm doing something even more basic wrong.

Everytime I feed I get a 1 gallon jug of distilled water add nutes and give each plant pretty much the whole gallon. I've never watered until there was water coming out of the pot. 5gallon pots btw. And I do that every 3 to 4 days. And that's all I do from start to finish....if I see some deficiencies I'll do plain ph water for a feeding. I also do just ph water 2 weeks before chop. Is this wrong????
Your plant looks wonderful... stop second guessing. Someone evil has your ear at the moment and you need to stop listening to them. No one in soil should have to worry about ppm. That is a hydro term and totally useless and confusing when working with soil. Anyone telling you differently, frankly, has no idea what they are talking about. Measuring runoff pH in soil is just as meaningless. Does 1% runoff give you the correct numbers, or should you dilute the reading by getting 5% runoff, or 20%? At what dilution of the mix is the number corresponding to anything meaningful in the soil? The answer is never. Measuring runoff for ppm or pH is a total and complete waste of time in soil.

Distilled water is also a hydro thing. There is no need to use distilled water in soil. Chlorine is not even harmful to a non organic grow, and even some organic grows can easily handle tap water, without setting it out or doing anything to it. Most of the warning you hear about it are wrong.

Giving plain water at the end is also a harmful myth that is out there. Consider an organic grow, where all the nutrients are available to the plant 24/7, right up to the moment of the chop. Organically grown plants are known to be the most potent and best tasting plants you can grow. Why? Because they have everything they need to build those buds, right up to the end.

You are proposing restricting food from the plants in the last two weeks, so as to somehow strengthen the buds or as the popular myth goes, to eliminate nute tastes from the final smoke. This is 1960 grow method debunked myth. Please do not buy into it. There are finishing nutes, designed to be given in that last two weeks in order to really create spectacular buds. You are proposing to do the opposite.

Why? Because you read it somewhere? Don't trust everything you read on the internet. There are a lot of folks throwing out silly advice in order to try to make themselves sound wise. Use you own logic and do your own experiments. Always think back as to what happens naturally, or as I often do, in an organic grow, for your answers.

Having got that off my mind, let me diagnose your problem. I do see a bit of tip burn and definitely a dark green... but not too bad... certainly no spots or dead leaves or common marks of deficiencies and lockouts. It looks like your pH has been adjusted correctly all along for your nutes and that you are doing a good job, but maybe back off on the N a bit and add some potassium... I think that is what is going on at the ends of your leaves, it is a deficiency rather than a burn. What nutes are you running? Are you using water/feed/water/feed so your nutes don't build up in the soil? I guess I should ask too, this is soil, right?

Having got that off my mind, let me diagnose your problem. I do see a bit of tip burn and definitely a dark green... but not too bad... certainly no spots or dead leaves or common marks of deficiencies and lockouts. It looks like your pH has been adjusted correctly all along for your nutes and that you are doing a good job, but maybe back off on the N a bit and add some potassium... I think that is what is going on at the ends of your leaves, it is a deficiency rather than a burn. What nutes are you running? Are you using water/feed/water/feed so your nutes don't build up in the soil? I guess I should ask too, this is soil, right?
I'm using these 2 products. I do use them pretty much every feed.

20210215_130604.jpg

20210215_130545.jpg

I'm using these 2 products. I do use them pretty much every feed.
That pretty much explains it... Your main nutrient is an all around general nutrient, but here towards the end of bloom the plant has very little need of nitrogen, and more of potassium and phosphorus. To give enough potassium, you would have to overload the nitrogen too. You need a bloom nute, that emphasizes the needed nutrients while giving much less Nitrogen. The fish stuff is almost pure Nitrogen, and probably is not needed at this time, although we can see it helped you to grow a spectacular plant earlier in its life!

Soil has an ability to be a buffer. It can actually hold onto nutes that the plant doesn't need immediately. This allows you to come in with pH adjusted water on the second pass, to reactivate the left over nutes and feed your plants a second time, on that first feed. This is why most soil growers go with a feed/water/feed/water alternation, all through the grow. This also helps keep the soil clean of excess buildups of nutrients that are not being used.

Given what you have had to work with, you are doing an outstanding job with this plant. Just a bit of adjusting, and you can perfect this.

The only thing I see is just very slight nutrient burn.
You are in no way over watering, 1 gallon in a 5 gallon fabric in good aerated soil when a plant is 6 weeks into flower if anything might be slightly under watering.
I would just flush with about 15 gallons of fresh dechlorinated water with Yucca Extract mixed in.
Then just finish the next couple weeks with flower nutrients.

@cuzzin33 it seems like you're killing it using minimal product which is the way to go imo. Plenty of people out there with a shelf full of nutes and plants that don't look as good as yours. Small adjustments here and there and you're gold. Its pretty simple if you just get a basic understanding of when the plants need N,P & K. What kind of pots are those? I like the color.

You are getting some good advice from Emilya. She has started a thread on how to water a plant in a pot. Do a search for it and read it through to the end. It is somewhat long because over the years it has been updated with new info. Reading it might not answer your question as to whether you are watering properly but it certainly will give you something to think about.

That pretty much explains it... Your main nutrient is an all around general nutrient, but here towards the end of bloom the plant has very little need of nitrogen, and more of potassium and phosphorus. To give enough potassium, you would have to overload the nitrogen too. You need a bloom nute, that emphasizes the needed nutrients while giving much less Nitrogen. The fish stuff is almost pure Nitrogen, and probably is not needed at this time, although we can see it helped you to grow a spectacular plant earlier in its life!
<cut>
I don't think that the fish stuff has any noticeable amount of Nitrogen; at least I don't remember ever seeing a N-P-K numbering for the product on any of the bottles or on the company's web site. All I come across is that it is supposed to be a source of bacteria and microbes and not nutrients like the Gold-Leaf product being used. Most likely it is the Gold-Leaf that is contributing to any excess nitrogen.

The fish stuff is harvested off the bottoms of some commercial fish farm ponds in Rhode Island and I sounds as if it is similar to worm castings; the bacterial end result of digesting whatever the farmer feeds his or her fish. The closest I found to N-P-K numbers was on another web site mentioned that the numbers were 2-0-0.

Everyone does things differently. Most have a schedule: water, wait a few days till pot is dry, then microbes or nutes, wait a few days....then water......wait a few days then microbes or nutes

Nutes every feed is not good at all.

Watering or feeding till runoff is a good thing.
@cuzzin33 it seems like you're killing it using minimal product which is the way to go imo. Plenty of people out there with a shelf full of nutes and plants that don't look as good as yours. Small adjustments here and there and you're gold. Its pretty simple if you just get a basic understanding of when the plants need N,P & K. What kind of pots are those? I like the color.
You are getting some good advice from Emilya. She has started a thread on how to water a plant in a pot. Do a search for it and read it through to the end. It is somewhat long because over the years it has been updated with new info. Reading it might not answer your question as to whether you are watering properly but it certainly will give you something to think about.

I don't think that the fish stuff has any noticeable amount of Nitrogen; at least I don't remember ever seeing a N-P-K numbering for the product on any of the bottles or on the company's web site. All I come across is that it is supposed to be a source of bacteria and microbes and not nutrients like the Gold-Leaf product being used. Most likely it is the Gold-Leaf that is contributing to any excess nitrogen.

The fish stuff is harvested off the bottoms of some commercial fish farm ponds in Rhode Island and I sounds as if it is similar to worm castings; the bacterial end result of digesting whatever the farmer feeds his or her fish. The closest I found to N-P-K numbers was on another web site mentioned that the numbers were 2-0-0.
Those 5 gallon fabric pots. Next time imma see if I can squeeze 3 3 gallon pots instead.

Back
Top Bottom