Icemud's Breeding Project: Feminized Seeds & New Strain Crossings

Welcome everyone to my 3rd current journal, featuring my 1st ever breeding project!!!!

The reason I started this was because I have too many strains right now, and not enough room to keep them all as mothers/plants so I want to create feminized seeds of the genetics, to keep them around, but not having to keep mothers to do so. This will be phase 1 of the journal. I have never done this before so I have a lot of reading ahead of me, and welcome anyone who has done this before to please feel free to chime in and help out to make this a success.

Phase 2 of the journal will be my 1st ever step into crossing strains and developing my own strains. Since I have now 10 different strains on hand as plants, I have many cross options to choose from. I can't wait to have my own strains and have something that nobody has ever had before, so many options!!!

What strain is it? (Strains I will be working with over the course of this journal)
Black Cherry Cola: not exactly sure what the genetics are but found this on one website "Airborne G13 X Ortega x C99 x Blackberry x Cherry AK-47 – 20% Indica/80% Sativa"

GDP: Supposedly Big Bud x Purple Eurkle, this is one of my favorite strains. I am excited to have 2 of them Definitely going to have to keep them around for a while.

Harlequin: A High CBD strain that gives about a 1:1 ratio of THC/CBD, great for the medicinal effects without a full blown high. About a 75%/25% sative/indica and typically produces 4-6% CBD or higher I couldn't find the details on the genetics but the sativa side is supposedly from a columbian gold and a strain from switzerland and the indica side from a Nepal strain.

Purple Dragon: Purple Urkle x Blue dragon (Sour Diesel x Blueberry)

Green Candy OG: Green Cr@ck x Candy Kush (OG x Trainwreck)

University Hills OG= Unknown OG x Free Tibet (Nepalese Hash Plant x Afghani Hawaiian) x Professional 3-Way [(Unknown DJ short x Unknown Sensi Seeds) x Northern Lights #5 male)]

GSC: (thin mint)=OG (rumored a south florida OG kush) x F1 durban (Purple Champagne X Durban Poison))

Cherry Pie= Grand Daddy Purple x F1 Durban (Purple Champagne X Durban Poison)

SFV OG= Chemdawg x {Lemon Thai x Hindu Kush, Pakistan} (Rumored) Not sure what cut I have but it definitely is strong and a good yielding plant.

OGiesel= SFV OG x Giesel ( Chemdawg x Mass. Super Skunk)

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?

Right now I have 4 strains (2 of each that were just transplanted today from clone stage into 3 gallon pots) Over the course of the journal it will go through all phases of growing.

If in Veg... For how long?
I will be running the Gas Lantern Routine for veg with a 144x3w Top Led in my smaller 2'x4' lighthouse hydro tent. Currently they clones were just transplanted today and will run just a few weeks and then flipped to flower. I have to time out the spraying of the CS and the bloom times to get it right so I can develop male pollen and pollinate the females at the right time as well. Hope this works..

Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor using a 2x4x5 lighthouse hydro tent. The tent consists of a 144x3w Top LED reflector series running the GLR on veg only setting for the veg period, and will run it on full spectrum 12/12 (veg and bloom) for the breeding/pollination portion of the grow. I still have to install venhilation and the carbon scrubber which should be done tomorrow.

Soil or Hydro?
Soil

If soil... what is in your mix?

The Base Soil Mix: (using 3 gallon pots for measurement)

6 (3gallon pots) of ProMix HP
4 (2 gallon pots) Premixed soil from my last grow (recycled with no additives)
1 1/2 (2gal pots) of Worm Castings
1 1/2 (2gal pot) of Volcanic Pumice

The Amendments:
2 Cups of Azomite (trace minerals and micronutrients)
2 1/2 Cups of Calcium Carbonate Powder 97%
2 Cups of Soft Rock Phosphate (Collidal Clay with high phosphorus and CEC value)
1 1/3 Cups of Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)
2 Cups of Crab Meal 2-3-0 23% calcium(also a P source and source of chitin a hormone/growth regulator)
2 Cups of Fish Bone meal. (3-18-0) 24% Calcium
2 Cups of Lava Sand (adds trace minerals and supposedly adds paramagnetic value to the soil)
2 Cups of Kelp Meal (also has growth hormones and PGR's, plus trace minerals)
1 Cup of Alfalfa Meal. (2-0-3) (contains Trichontinol which aids in plant growth and health)
1/2 Cup of Powdered Humic Acid (Adds Carbons to the soil as well as trace minerals and aids in chelation of minerals)
1 Cup of Greensand (0-0-3) (Trace Minerals)
1/2 Cup of Dry Molasses (1-0-3) (Energy for the Microbes)

If soil... What size pot?
3 gallon round plastic for veg, before flowering transplant into 5 gallon plastic square pots.

Size of light?
Answered above: Top Led 144x3w reflector series

Is it aircooled?
The tent is yes, the lights are vented

Temp of Room/cab?
Ranges between 64F-75F

RH of Room/cab?
Generally between 40-50%, humidifiers are available if it dips with offshore breezes here in Socal.

PH of media or res?
I don't check it, its soil.

Any Pests ?

Not any currently, I use Spinosad, SNS and other preventative measures to keep it that way

How often are you watering?

Young vegging plants about 1x every week and a half
larger Vegging plants about 1x per week
flowering plants early flowering about 1x per week
flowering late about 1x every 4 days.

Type and strength of ferts used?

Using foliar products including Bloomit, Amaze and PGR.
I also will be using Tand J enterprizes tea and bio minerals
about 1x per month I will be giving a soil drench of earthjuice

Other nutrients on hand include and may be used:
occasional additive include advanced nutrients: carboload, organic b, fulvic acid
occasional additives include general organics: bioweed, cal/mag, hydrolyzed squid, florablend tea, bioroot
bonide liquid fish 2-4-0...love this stuff!
SNS pest products for prevention
Spinosad by bonide

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now that we got the introduction out of the way I will go a little into what currently is going on and updates will come later. (been a long day)

Today I mixed my new soil to the ratios above and transplanted my clones. The clones were slightly neglected because it took a little longer than expected to get everything ready for this grow, since I currently have 2 other tents going as well....Lots of work!

Anyhow I took 2 clones of each plant, one will be the male that will get sprayed with CS, and the other will be the female that gets pollinated.

Currently I have 2 of each of these:
cherry pie
GSC
University Hills OG
SFV OG

and 1 OGiesel plus one mother Ogiesel.

I don't have room to do all strains at once so I will be keeping the Ogiesel until next round so I don't believe I will be including it in this 1st phase of breeding and making feminized seeds.

The clones had really nice healthy white roots and very long ones as well when I transplanted them. The leaves looked a little nutrient deficient but I'm sure that they will correct themselves in a few days once the roots sink into the soil. Before transplanting I coated the roots with Mycos Maximum and put them in the soil.

I gave them each 4 cups of r/o water with no additives and closed up the tent.

Right now I have the lights on a 24/0 schedule for a few days until the plants regain health and then I will be putting them on the GLR for the remainder of their veg period.

I still have to hook up a blower fan/carbon scrubber and thermometer/hygrometer tomorrow, but just ran out of time today with other grow related tasks at hand.

I welcome everyone to join along and as I mentioned, I have never done this before...so all good advice is welcome!!!

Here are a few pics of the plants today.

DSC087091.JPG
DSC087101.JPG
DSC087111.JPG
DSC087122.JPG
DSC087131.JPG
DSC087141.JPG
DSC087151.JPG
DSC087162.JPG
DSC087172.JPG
DSC087181.JPG
DSC087191.JPG

Re: Icemud's Breeding Project: Feminized Seeds and new strain crossings...

Subbed

Hey everyone!! Welcome! I have a lot of reading to do and since the plants are very young it may take a little while for this journal to pick up momentum but it should be exciting as I journey into producing feminized seeds and even my own strains :)

Hey everyone, just a brief update with photo's. The newly transplanted clones are on day 10 since transplant and most of them have regained healthy colors and are showing small signs of new growth. I know it usually seems to be week 3-4 in veg when they really just take off so I know that another 2 weeks and I will be getting more into the breeding type info.

I gave the girls a foliar spray of PGR, amaze and mixed it with cold pressed seaweed, adv nutr carboload and organic b, and yucca extract.

Other than that they haven't needed any watering since they are still very young and the pots are still heavy.

Here are some photos for today..

DSC08787.JPG
DSC08788.JPG
DSC08789.JPG
DSC08790.JPG
DSC08791.JPG
DSC08792.JPG
DSC08793.JPG

Here are a few updated photos of the girls. They are still getting used to their new soil and the leaf health looks to be restored, however not much in the way of new leaf development at this time.

I gave them a spray of r/o water with PGR and Amaze, mixed with carboload, fulvic acid and organic b

Here are the updated photos.

DSC088291.JPG
DSC088301.JPG
DSC088311.JPG
DSC08832.JPG
DSC08833.JPG
DSC088341.JPG

In my current grows I will be experimenting with feminized seeds from male bananas on a female plant. I have read that this process will also create feminized seeds. Only found 1 seed in the mother but it was after the grinder.

My male stock came from a cross of Headband and Bubba Kush. I grew it from seed outdoors and clones indoor.

The indoor clones I did an extended length grow. The male pods arrived in the second and third phase.

Indoor cross with OK Kush crossed with Durban Poison. Pollinated at 3 weeks

Outdoor cross with Golden Goat. Pollinating today at 3.5 weeks in the greenhouse.

Hey Everyone, just a quick update....

The girls are getting bigger, shouldn't be long before I separate the pairs and start the CS treatments, just waiting for my other tent to become available.

Here's some pics for now..

DSC092711.JPG
DSC092721.JPG
DSC092732.JPG
DSC092741.JPG
DSC092752.JPG
DSC092761.JPG
DSC092771.JPG

Hey everyone, not much exciting going on in this journal yet. The girls are getting to the time where the fun starts, which means I have to read up and figure out how I am going to do this feminized seeds in the same tent without cross pollenation. I think I may make dividers that allow me to seperate the strains from each other and since I don't have a circulation fan blowing, the only airflow is coming from the LED, and the slow negative pressure intakes sucking in fresh air, and the exhause fan above. I am going to take clones of all of the plants regardless in case I mess up.

I also will be trimming all the branches off the "female to be male" plants, leaving only 1 main branch to spray with CS and turn into pollen sacks, so hopefully that will minimize the amount of possible pollen contamination. I was even thinking I may be able to some how make a plasic bag/tent over the males once they form pollen sacks to further prevent contamination. Any suggestions would be welcome. If worst comes to worst then I just wait until my other tent is done (about 1 month) and then I do the pollenation then, using the one tent for the males and the other for the females.

Hmmm...choices..

I do have to say, this 144x3w seems to really veg my plants slow, when used on the veg setting. These plants are about 2 months old from the clone transplant and they really aren't that big at all... I mean kind of to my benefit for the purpose I am using them for, but still doesn't seem to even compare to my other LED's or my past HID use.

Well here is some updated photos...

Before watering...plants looking a little droopy...
DSC09501.JPG
DSC09501_2_.JPG
DSC09502.JPG

A day after watering... looking much better and happy!
DSC095031.JPG
DSC09504.JPG
DSC09505.JPG
DSC09506.JPG
DSC095071.JPG
DSC09508.JPG

I was wondering what strength of CS you will be using for this experiment and method and timing of treatments? I didn't see it if it was in here.

Hoping you have good luck in this as I am also getting a couple of clones in another week that I want to do this too also. Nothing like a reserve of quality genetics.

I too have been digging around for more info. I think this is a good way to go. This is the formula that I have chosen to follow.

What did you discover in your research?

Producing Feminized Seeds Using Colloidal Silver

I was wondering what strength of CS you will be using for this experiment and method and timing of treatments? I didn't see it if it was in here.

Hoping you have good luck in this as I am also getting a couple of clones in another week that I want to do this too also. Nothing like a reserve of quality genetics.

I will be using a 50ppm CS solution I got off amazonn, but haven't used it yet.

Just wondering if you have gone ahead with your breeding experiment?

I will start one soon and hoping to trade notes.

I actually haven't started yet, waiting for a grow tent to be open so I can do 1 male and 4 females, and put the rest of the plants, plus clones in the extra tent. I was going to do 4 males/4 females, but couldn't figure out a way to do it without the chance of cross pollenation.

Should be soon :)

Check out Toker69's journal, he has an excellent journal going on right now going over the whole process in detail.

Following the lonk you sent. Following their game plan.

Cut my clones last night. I can keep you posted on the progress here if you want. After all this is not my post but I do think I will keep a journal on this also.

Thanks again for the lead.

Cloning_solution.jpg
Clone_211.jpg
Clone_18.jpg

Back
Top Bottom