Is it a good idea to go off of general hydroponics feed chart?

jdeezy22

i was going off general hydroponics feed chart and got nasty ram horns. i read it may be from over nutrient use. it could have also been my low temp and humidity but i fixed those problems.
Any suggestion on feed charts and following general hydroponics chart
thanks guys I'm new

i was going off general hydroponics feed chart and got nasty ram horns. i read it may be from over nutrient use.

If the leafs where really dark green & with a ram horn curling effect it was more than likely nitrogen toxicity which may make the bud smoke/taste harsh... a good long cure can help sort that out tho.

Nutrient charts are normally a general guide line only ! & that some strains may react differently to varies measurements of nutrients.

the leafs were a really light green. they are barely eating now. i put a plastic bag over a few of them it seams to be helping. they are 2 months into veg i think it may be time to start over. my second batch in the same room look killer so i think i fixed my main problem was low humidity/heat

Hi Jdeezy22,
I have a feeling you might have been over watering.
Putting a plastic bag over them is just going to create excessive moisture which I don't think you need.
If you've got your temps and RH in check now, I'd just give them a few days for the medium to dry out completely.
Then give them a diluted feeding.
What strength have you been giving them up until now?
When starting with nutes it's always good to go with 1/4 strength recommended dose first then up from there.

I use this GH feeding chart, with the exception of other additives, and haven't had a problem in 3 grows..

WEEKLY FEEDING SCHEDULE:
Week 1 (rooted clones or 3 leaf-sets on seedlings) : 2.5 ml EACH Grow, Micro & Bloom
Week 2: 5ml Grow + 2.5ml Micro + 2.5ml Bloom
Week 3: 10ml Grow + 5ml Micro + 3ml Bloom
Week 4 until 12/12 : 12ml Grow + 6ml Micro + 3ml Bloom
Week 1 of 12/12 : 6ml Grow + 6mil Micro+10ml Bloom
Week 2 of 12/12: 3ml Grow + 7ml Miccro + 12ml Bloom
Week 3: 3ml Grow + 8ml Micro + 14ml Bloom
Week 4: 3ml Grow + 8ml Micro + 16ml Bloom
Week 5: 2..5 Grow + 7ml Micro + 18ml Bloom
Week 6: NO GROW + 6ml Micro + 20ml Bloom USE UNTIL FLUSH!
Flush 10-14 days before harvesting

hope this helps.

It's interesting that you mention "ram horns", because that's what I've got.

I was given a chart labeled "Flora Series simple drain to waste" chart.
and it's different from what Vick074 posted.

This was taken from a brochure of several and I didn't see the other charts.
I've been following this chart at the rate of 60% and 80% now with every 3rd watering being no nutes and waiting for the soil to be completely dry 2" down.

Just got the rams horns about 3 or 4 days ago.

116_2043.JPG

116_2035.JPG

The one on the right has no new growth, notice
the light/bright green on the one on the left vs the one on the right... they sit side by side w/ same watering...
IMG_012032.JPG
116_2041.JPG

Just got some new growth for the 1st time in about 3 days from the one pictured.

Hi KarlJay,
Ram horns can be an indication of over fert.
I noticed in your photo a bag of Miracle Grow soil.
Not sure if you know this, but those soils have time release ferts in them, that can burn your plants when adding extra nutrients. They can make it really difficult to know what your plants are getting and what they're not.
Print a copy of the plant abuse chart and have it in the grow room to help identify what your plants are trying to tell you.

1/4 strength or even half will help them not to receive too much. But I see you were adding 60% to 80%
Sometimes when the tops of the plants are showing a lighter green, it can mean that they have used up most of the Nitrogen that was available to them, and are ready for more. which is good! means they're hungry! But those 2 plants look to be uptaking differently, so I'm a bit puzzled.

Just have to ask, what are the temps in the room?
What is your PH?
What kind of water are you using, tap, distilled, RO?

I'd give them a good flush again, and start adding nutes slowly. Try using the chart that I posted but only give 1/4 strength.
Adding as they look to want more.
In my opinion, that GH chart you are using is weird, the levels just seem off to me. I've heard of multiple people having problems when running it too, especially N deficiencies.

Hi KarlJay,
Ram horns can be an indication of over fert.
I noticed in your photo a bag of Miracle Grow soil.
Not sure if you know this, but those soils have time release ferts in them, that can burn your plants when adding extra nutrients. They can make it really difficult to know what your plants are getting and what they're not.
Print a copy of the plant abuse chart and have it in the grow room to help identify what your plants are trying to tell you.

1/4 strength or even half will help them not to receive too much. But I see you were adding 60% to 80%
Sometimes when the tops of the plants are showing a lighter green, it can mean that they have used up most of the Nitrogen that was available to them, and are ready for more. which is good! means they're hungry! But those 2 plants look to be uptaking differently, so I'm a bit puzzled.

Just have to ask, what are the temps in the room?
What is your PH?
What kind of water are you using, tap, distilled, RO?

I'd give them a good flush again, and start adding nutes slowly. Try using the chart that I posted but only give 1/4 strength.
Adding as they look to want more.
In my opinion, that GH chart you are using is weird, the levels just seem off to me. I've heard of multiple people having problems when running it too, especially N deficiencies.

Thanks for the reply!

The MG bag was used in the 1st batch of 4 plants (the one in the pic is one of them) It was not used after that as most said it was a poor choice.

I've been looking for a plant abuse chart, got a link?

Temps run 73 to 84 depending on where I measure, 84 is where the fan blows the heat off the lights.

The water is tap, dropped to 5~6 with PH Down acid. The only filter I have is a Brita type and I feed about 6 gallons at a time, so I don't even bother filtering, just set the water out for a few days before adding nutes/ph.

My nutes have been 2 on 1 off watering about every 4 days.

About the chart, I got it from a local retailer. He had a brochure that had about 10 charts, he gave me this one based on basic info I gave him.

The chart seems the same as what is printed on the 1 qt bottles that I bought.

Maybe GH has a chart online? They should have an abuse chart too.

Now that I've thought about the MG soil... The problem plant is one of the 4 that has MG soil. It was in a 1 gallon bucket at the time (coffee can) then FFOF was used for the repot.

Someone also mentioned root bind, this is a 23" plant in 2 gallons of soil.

Forgot the mention the lights: 10 T5s 23 100W CFLs, 2 300W CFLs, I have some pics in my grow journal linked below.

Here's a plant abuse chart:
Save it in your (CP) user notes, or print it with a good printer so you have it in times of need.

Picture_75.png

Temps sound good.
What you're doing with your water by letting it sit for chlorine to evaporate it good. Keep doing that.
Just a suggestion, if you can afford one, get a cheap air pump with an air stone from an aquarium shop.
And keep the air stone bubbling in the bucket while it sits. Helps to keep it oxygenated and from yucking up your bucket.
2 on 1 off is good..
I would most definitely suggest transplanting into 3-5 gallon pots. You do not want to be getting "rootbound" while you're in the final stages of veg. Allow your roots to stretch her legs, and the plant will reward you later..
:thumb:

are these amounts of bloom, micro, and grow based on one gallon (3.7--Liters) of ph balanced water?
if yes , would i take the amount of ML per gallon and divide it by 3.7 to get the amount for 1 later of water
at the beginning i will be using smaller amounts of water , that is why i ask.
one more thing are these amounts for use in hydroponics only or for growing in soil as well?
thanks

Hi Jdeezy22,
Putting a plastic bag over them is just going to create excessive moisture which I don't think you need.
If you've got your temps and RH in check now, I'd just give them a few days for the medium to dry out completely.
When starting with nutes it's always good to go with 1/4 strength recommended dose first then up from there.

I use this GH feeding chart, with the exception of other additives, and haven't had a problem in 3 grows..

WEEKLY FEEDING SCHEDULE:
Week 1 (rooted clones or 3 leaf-sets on seedlings) : 2.5 ml EACH Grow, Micro & Bloom

hope this helps.

Hi Jdeezy22,

WEEKLY FEEDING SCHEDULE:

hope this helps.
Is that for drain to waste?

Back
Top Bottom