Is my girl showing me signs of rootbinding?

Smokemupm8

Hello guys, hoping some one can help me.
My current grow, Cindy has just been flipped to 12/12, now i grow in soil and any way this grow is an LST, and ive noticed my plant has sent some root tips thru to the surface, only close to her base where the soil stays moist for longer and shaded from the above canopy. There s no roots coming thru the other side of the pot where light gets to.
Do you think that she's just sent the roots there for the moisture and as its fairly dark, or could she be showing me rootbound symptoms?? And if so, would she survive the flower period from now?? Ive heard root growing slows at flower, but dont know this for fact..:welcome::thumb: ANY IDEAS SUGGESTIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED..SMOKEM..

Signs of a plant being pot bound include a siginificant growth of roots out of the base of the pot, roots growing out of the top surface of the soil and the roots circling around the edge of the pot.

She's a big girl 'n' needs her roots, but ye a tad on root bound side !

Being a gardener for many years now i've certainly seen more than my fair share of root bound plants these can survive root bound conditions for many years tho but may stunt growth of the plant !

May also lift the plant clear out off the pot to inspect the root balling situation also.

You could repot to bigger pot tho... that may be a large job !

Alternatively you can look at Air Pots as these help prevent root balling/bound by air prunning roots.

Signs of a plant being pot bound include a siginificant growth of roots out of the base of the pot, roots growing out of the top surface of the soil and the roots circling around the edge of the pot.

She's a big girl 'n' needs her roots, but ye a tad on root bound side !

Being a gardener for many years now i've certainly seen more than my fair share of root bound plants these can survive root bound conditions for many years tho but may stunt growth of the plant !

May also lift the plant clear out off the pot to inspect the root balling situation also.

You could repot to bigger pot tho... that may be a large job !

Alternatively you can look at Air Pots as these help prevent root balling/bound by air prunning roots.

Thank you Fuzzy for your reply:thanks:
Well as you said about roots showing/coming thru to surface, Cindy has only put some up where the most shaded and moist area is. Outside of this, her roots are not coming to the surface. So like 50 cm across her pot there s no roots exposed? I was thinking that she may have sent the few root tips up due to the shaded moist area directly around her base, would you maybe agree she could have sent them few up for that reason?? Ive been told just leave em n they will die off if they dont start heading back down. Ive covered em a little so theyre not exposed, but nxt water theyll prob show through again! Cindy is a big plant, and if i transplanted, the pot i need that 1 meter x 1.5ftx 2ft deep, as mines 80x1ftx1.2ft. My last few grows in round 25 litre pots have produced over 8 oz dry, they were fairly large plants too, Cindys in a 35 litre pot, but its hard to make a comparison of Cindy as she's LST'd, if she was vert, she may be around 4-5ft in height..So i really think i should have flowered her 2 weeks ago, but still i hope she will survive her flower period.
What is your thoughts on thinning out some fan leaves for lighting to lower shoots, as i think its better to let as much light thru to the good shoots as possible so they can grow as best they can.. I dont like taking the large fan leaves off unless theyre dying, but for maximum lighting to all her shoots that are growing well, i do have to take some here and there, as i cant tie or tuck em anymore as they will squash into each other and sweat/block light.. Some shoots at her base arent gunna do squat, but i dont wanna shock her, ive taken off some small growths, that were yellowing and about 2inches tall! Im hoping i can at least get all her cola's to fill out and the large secondaries to grow large as possible as they will be sum nice FOXTAILS:):) Spacing between nodes on the large secondaries isnt really close but i think they will fill out with some nice buds later..
As long as Cindy will survive this flower period ill be happy, and if her yield is less than half a pound i think ill set out a massive vertical Xmas tree grow as i usually do, after her. Or im gunna block off half my room, set both 600w MH + 400w MH on and put 4 massive xmas trees in their. Going for over 2 pounds if i do this.. I have 9ft high ceiling and a room thats 5m x 8m. So i could have a friggin forrest!! One large grow every 5 months, will be sweet as:)
If you have any thoughts about my LST questions please feel free to write away:) THANK YOU FUZZ:goodjob: Smokemupm8

Thank you Fuzzy for your reply:thanks:
Well as you said about roots showing/coming thru to surface, Cindy has only put some up where the most shaded and moist area is. Outside of this, her roots are not coming to the surface. So like 50 cm across her pot there s no roots exposed? I was thinking that she may have sent the few root tips up due to the shaded moist area directly around her base, would you maybe agree she could have sent them few up for that reason?? Ive been told just leave em n they will die off if they dont start heading back down. Ive covered em a little so theyre not exposed, but nxt water theyll prob show through again!

Roots on the surface is a sign of root balling/bounding but under direct light the soft new roots will burn/die off, hence they have survived in the shaded side of the plant[/QUOTE]

Cindy is a big plant, and if i transplanted, the pot i need that 1 meter x 1.5ftx 2ft deep, as mines 80x1ftx1.2ft. My last few grows in round 25 litre pots have produced over 8 oz dry, they were fairly large plants too, Cindys in a 35 litre pot, but its hard to make a comparison of Cindy as she's LST'd, if she was vert, she may be around 4-5ft in height..So i really think i should have flowered her 2 weeks ago, but still i hope she will survive her flower period.

I'm pretty confident she will survive flowering, but repotting is an option if you are really concerned about it & may shock the plant for only a few days to several at best by slowing growth intill new roots form etc

I don't think its going to matter a great deal tho.

What is your thoughts on thinning out some fan leaves for lighting to lower shoots, as i think its better to let as much light thru to the good shoots as possible so they can grow as best they can.. I dont like taking the large fan leaves off unless theyre dying, but for maximum lighting to all her shoots that are growing well, i do have to take some here and there, as i cant tie or tuck em anymore as they will squash into each other and sweat/block light.. Some shoots at her base arent gunna do squat, but i dont wanna shock her, ive taken off some small growths, that were yellowing and about 2inches tall! Im hoping i can at least get all her cola's to fill out and the large secondaries to grow large as possible as they will be sum nice FOXTAILS:):) Spacing between nodes on the large secondaries isnt really close but i think they will fill out with some nice buds later..

Well fan leaf trimming on mass is deprimental to the plant as these leafs provide a source of photosynthesis & energy for the plant as the plant matures in flowering fan leafs will start to yellow/chlorotic as the plant draws energy/nutrients from them to help in flowering.

A little trim doesn't hurt once in awhile tho - ya got a lot of leaf mass :thumb:

The lower branchs towards the base are only going to form popcorn bud sites do to low poor light penertration these can be trimmed off to provide extra energy to the main cola bearing branchs, the act of trimming these branchs off rarely stress's the plant... but prefering to do this at the beginning of flowering cycle & selecting the best of the best branchs to yield the bud.

As you grow more plants like this or LST'd you will get a feeling of what you can trim off at the base which may form popcorn fluff bud this is part of the experience of growing MJ & often individual grows are tailored to our own needs of conditions/space we grow in.

You may find staking the cola bearing branchs towards mid/late flowering to be a good idea, after all they may form heavy bud which may collapse the plant 'n' make it go all floppy possible breaking branch limbs.

As long as Cindy will survive this flower period ill be happy, and if her yield is less than half a pound i think ill set out a massive vertical Xmas tree grow as i usually do, after her. Or im gunna block off half my room, set both 600w MH + 400w MH on and put 4 massive xmas trees in their. Going for over 2 pounds if i do this.. I have 9ft high ceiling and a room thats 5m x 8m. So i could have a friggin forrest!! One large grow every 5 months, will be sweet as:)
If you have any thoughts about my LST questions please feel free to write away:) THANK YOU FUZZ:goodjob: Smokemupm8

I'm pretty sure Cindy will be just fine & she has certianly proved that so far :love:

It will be intersting to she what she does yield at the end of the grow tho... a lot of it will be down to strain gentics etc & in sound theory larger plants do yield more :thumb:

Whether present longevity of grow style is cost effective to yield to other methods used which could result in similar yield in half the time remains the question to be answered !

Now thats food for thought & some slight hardcore number crunching to do... lol

Looking fantastic Smokemupm8 keep up the fine work - all the best Fuzzy :green_heart:

New to this site
looking for grow friends grow kings n PLp to shear idears n help me n any way I'm looking to get seeds or clones in aus

THANKS FUZZY,THATS GREAT INFO BRO!!:thumb:
Firstly, as you said about the roots being in the shaded are, well thats true, and ive moved my cage light a few days ago so that it now lights on the soil, and these roots arent as noticable now, must be receeding:)
And since ive let soil dry out some more, Fungus Gnats arent as numerous and soil mites arent everywhere as much either.. BONUS!
Removing the fan leaves, i am aware that taking them may hinder certain aspects of her grow, but now her fans are big as my hands bro,7 inch from palm to tip of middle finger, they are sitting ontop of large shoots coming thru, i know that light will filter thru the leaf to the shoot under neath but i would think that also giving them the most light possible would be more beneficial so these may grow to max. potential? Its a fine line to walk at times ay! But thanks for the info on removing small shoots, that eases my mind some, as today im going to take the rest of what i think is useless and dying from her soon.. Mate, Im standing beside Cindy this morning and shit, i think she s going to be bigger than i anticipated:thedoubletake: She s at my chest already, im 6'2.. SCARY,VERY SCARY BRO!! And these shoots are huge coming thru i m going to have to re adjust one large branches position- AGAIN - as its getting freaky, its the original main cola, and is starting to throw her weight around so to speak! Filling out like a bloke on 'Roids:)
So yeah, thanks i hope she will make it thru flower, if i get these tiny shoots off, i feel she can focus on her main sites..
Im glad the light and drier soil on top now is helping the roots from coming up more now..
THANKING YOU AGAIN FOR ALL THAT INFO FUZZY< YOURE A GUN!!! Catch ya, SMOKEM:welldone::thanks::thumb:

Back
Top Bottom