Is nighty,night alright?

bullwinkle60

I have read if you leave your plants in total darkness for 48 to 72 hours before harvest the buds will be bigger and potency increased. Is this BS or what? Thank you.

bigger and more potent, i dont think so. But i think it used up the internal sugars and makes a cleaner burning smoke. just my opinion. always dark out at least 48 hours!

there is alot of different opinions on that some say they've seen and increase in resin glands and some say it helps to get the plant to use of the nute left in the stalk, if you survey a 100 people 65% would say dark before harvest others say it's the cure so try it can't hurt.I do 24-30 and if seems to help could be the strain could be other factors,if you have a few plants do 1 and they other no and see's what happens

If it takes - just picking a number at random here - 73 days to completely flower a given plant, do you cut short that time 2-3 days and hurt the finished product or tack an additional 2-3 days onto your schedule and extend the wait on the finished product? The latter would seem to be the best choice if one is going to do this, but I'm never really sure how people actually go about it.

It seems unlikely that the buds would be bigger (whether you mean larger, or heavier when cured) since you're shutting off the energy.

As for more potent... Well, you won't have the light degrading the thc/etc. for that time, but I don't expect the buds to produce significantly more of it either so that seems at least somewhat doubtful. Although, as it could conceivably change the profile of the effects of the final product (when it is consumed), it might give the appearance of being more potent (, less potent, or just... different) depending on what, exactly, the consumer is looking for.

Have read reports of people trying it and swearing by the practice - and also reports of people trying it and coming away not impressed with any difference. I have only tried it once and that was in the mid-late 90s some time with the first WW I ever grew, and I came away disgusted by the experience. But in all honesty, I must say that the dark period was rather longer than the one that you are contemplating and half the crop ended up with mold.

Oh yeah, if you do decide to do it, make sure that you have excellent ventilation running 24/7. Especially if your plants' medium is not pretty dry. Mine was DWC, lol <INSERT SAD "SMILEY" FACE HERE>. I made a real stupid mistake - whether it was in this, specifically, or whether it was in the whole concept, I'm still not sure - because at the time, my ventilation ran off my light timer. Instead of switching the fans to constant on, I just shut down the power going to the timer, killing the lights but also all fans <DOH!>. It was quite warm (although not oppressively hot) at the time, and in addition to the high humidity from the DWC setup in an unventilated space, the plants transpired moisture... which basically stayed on the plants. Like I mentioned, I was not happy with the results. YMMV, of course.

hightime58 has the right of it: Like anything else about which you are not sure, try one plant one way and one the other. Best if the two plants in question are clones from the same mother that have been grown the same way, are about the same size, age, et cetera. IOW, when performing an experiment, have excellent controls in place and change only ONE variable. Do not expect to get useful results from non-identical subjects and do not expect to remember from one harvest to the next the exact type and level of effect that you get from consumption.

If you do perform such a comparison/experiment, please return and post your results.

Im kinda hoping that it doesnt work, it would be a pain in the arse for people like me with SOGs going. I guess you could just stick the plant somewhere else (in the dark) when the time came.. again, a bit of a pain if youve got a SCROG, would require a hell of a lot of untangling lol
I would definately like to see the results of a fair test, seeing as you brought it up i think its on you bullwinkle ;)

If it takes - just picking a number at random here - 73 days to completely flower a given plant, do you cut short that time 2-3 days and hurt the finished product or tack an additional 2-3 days onto your schedule and extend the wait on the finished product? The latter would seem to be the best choice if one is going to do this, but I'm never really sure how people actually go about it.

It seems unlikely that the buds would be bigger (whether you mean larger, or heavier when cured) since you're shutting off the energy.

As for more potent... Well, you won't have the light degrading the thc/etc. for that time, but I don't expect the buds to produce significantly more of it either so that seems at least somewhat doubtful. Although, as it could conceivably change the profile of the effects of the final product (when it is consumed), it might give the appearance of being more potent (, less potent, or just... different) depending on what, exactly, the consumer is looking for.

Have read reports of people trying it and swearing by the practice - and also reports of people trying it and coming away not impressed with any difference. I have only tried it once and that was in the mid-late 90s some time with the first WW I ever grew, and I came away disgusted by the experience. But in all honesty, I must say that the dark period was rather longer than the one that you are contemplating and half the crop ended up with mold.

Oh yeah, if you do decide to do it, make sure that you have excellent ventilation running 24/7. Especially if your plants' medium is not pretty dry. Mine was DWC, lol <INSERT SAD "SMILEY" FACE HERE>. I made a real stupid mistake - whether it was in this, specifically, or whether it was in the whole concept, I'm still not sure - because at the time, my ventilation ran off my light timer. Instead of switching the fans to constant on, I just shut down the power going to the timer, killing the lights but also all fans <DOH!>. It was quite warm (although not oppressively hot) at the time, and in addition to the high humidity from the DWC setup in an unventilated space, the plants transpired moisture... which basically stayed on the plants. Like I mentioned, I was not happy with the results. YMMV, of course.

hightime58 has the right of it: Like anything else about which you are not sure, try one plant one way and one the other. Best if the two plants in question are clones from the same mother that have been grown the same way, are about the same size, age, et cetera. IOW, when performing an experiment, have excellent controls in place and change only ONE variable. Do not expect to get useful results from non-identical subjects and do not expect to remember from one harvest to the next the exact type and level of effect that you get from consumption.

If you do perform such a comparison/experiment, please return and post your results.
Thank you.

Im kinda hoping that it doesnt work, it would be a pain in the arse for people like me with SOGs going. I guess you could just stick the plant somewhere else (in the dark) when the time came.. again, a bit of a pain if youve got a SCROG, would require a hell of a lot of untangling lol
I would definately like to see the results of a fair test, seeing as you brought it up i think its on you bullwinkle ;)
Thank you I'm going to give it a try and report back in two weeks or so.

I like them perky when I pick em. I don't go by the days to maturity that someone may say.
I like to pic my buds when the red hairs are still moist and when 70-80% red.

I went over a couple of grows ago with some God bud. I had to delay my harvest due to circumstances and I finally picked it at 10 1/2 weeks.

Way too strong. Real sleepy time stuff.

Back
Top Bottom