Is this fade normal?

K3nji

I have 2 Grandaddy Purps (Photos) in the 8th week of flower, grow has been FLAWLESS. I noticed around week 7 that the fade on one of the plants sugar leaves is a bright yellow! The other has a perfect, reddish purple fade like all my previous plants. I know fading is normal and a GOOD thing, but usually the fade has autumn colors not bright yellow. Has anyone seen this before?

Here is the "Normal" one
20230412_203915.jpg

Here is the plant in question...
20230412_203905.jpg

Soil, 3 gallon pots, Gaia Green Nutes, They only have about a week left, stopped giving them food about 3 weeks ago. Wanted them to flush
Okay, I'm a ProMix HP guy who likes to feed to the end and doesn't believe in the flush or the fade ;)

Just looks to me like starved and deficient leaves.

But the recent posts on droughting has me rethinking "the fade"....

Buds look good, luck with your harvest !

Cheers

They only have about a week left, stopped giving them food about 3 weeks ago. Wanted them to flush
I think you answered your question about whether "this fade is normal". It looks like the lack of enough nutrients for 'about 3 weeks' is a major cause of the sugar leaves having turned yellow with the veins remaining green--a usual sign of not enough Potassium available to the plant.

A typical flush is not a 3 week or even a 1 week project. It takes about an hour and the common recommendation is to then go back to the fertilizing schedule. The typical "flush" involves pouring 3 times as much water as there is soil or grow medium through the pot in a short time, often an hour or so. A pot holding 3 gallons of soil will be flushed by using 9 gallons of water. It is done to remove excess salts that might have built up over the previous weeks and re-setting the grow medium.

More and more soil gardeners are skipping the "flush" since it seems to accomplish little if anything in pots of soil.

Thanks, but Im using slow release organic nutrients/dry amendments. They cant be flushed out no matter how much water I run through the pots. As mentioned, there is another plant on the same schedule and it shows none of the yellowing this one has.

Thanks, but Im using slow release organic nutrients/dry amendments. They cant be flushed out no matter how much water I run through the pots.
But in msg #3 you mentioned that you "...stopped giving them food about 3 weeks ago. Wanted them to flush" so I was responding to that comment.

there is another plant on the same schedule and it shows none of the yellowing this one has.
There is no guarantee that any two plants will grow the same. Not even with two plants grown from seeds which came from the same female plant. Or with clones taken from the same 'mother' and grown in the same soil, etc.

I see it as a possibility that when the nutrients and amendments were stopped the one plant could not get all the nutrients it needed from the soil and the fading of the green in the leaves started.

Back
Top Bottom