Is this nitrogen deficiency?

lightswitch

My First grow with 2 seedlings.

Seedlings are about 19 days old. Began germination on 1st of March.

Over the past few days I noticed the leaves starting to lose their green and turn brown from the bottom of the plant moving slowly upwards. As you can see in the pics one of the seedlings is far far worse than the other.

My 100% newbie diagnosis is a nitrogen deficiency but before acting would like to confirm this with much wiser folk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

420-magazine-mobile711656684.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1625001269.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Looks like it could be nutrient burn. What kind of soil are you using? Are you already using nutrients?

Sent with my Light and Love Happy Growing

My First grow with 2 seedlings.

Seedlings are about 19 days old. Began germination on 1st of March.

Over the past few days I noticed the leaves starting to lose their green and turn brown from the bottom of the plant moving slowly upwards. As you can see in the pics one of the seedlings is far far worse than the other.

My 100% newbie diagnosis is a nitrogen deficiency but before acting would like to confirm this with much wiser folk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

420-magazine-mobile711656684.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1625001269.jpg

That soil might be too hot. It does look like nute burn.

"carpe diem"

The prognosis on the first one is grim. If the dirt has added nutes in it I would put my plant in the sink and flood it until it can be easily removed from the soil. Then CAREFULLY, transplant it in 50% perlight 50% plain potting soil. Adding very week nute solution to my water. like 1/4 of recommended amount. I would then wait until I see new growth to start regular feeding again. But like a doctor would say, I'm not sure if it will work but its worth trying. The chance of success is pretty low but you have to do something.

From the pictures it dosnt seam to me like a nitrogen problem. I believe the leafs would be a darker shade of green if the seedling had an abbundence of N. It seams to me to be a PH related issue. I wonder what the PH of that soil is. Is that Mulch I see on the top?

Soil is a potting mix from Bunnings warehouse (Aussie Home Depot) containing Composted bark and organic material (manure, fish, blood & bone) with a small amount of perlite and pumice added.

Ph meter arrived today so I will check that :)

Now let me complicate matters!!! I have 4 seedlings for this grow, all have the same soil and such. I have shown y'all the 2 sick ones already so here are the 2 healthy ones. Seeing these 2 healthy really confuses me what is going on with the others????

Will be posting my grow journal when my post count is enough or whatever is needed.

420-magazine-mobile673056069.jpg
420-magazine-mobile614730785.jpg

Hey light switch fellow Aussie as well . Transplant in to straight coco or a seed raising mix . But if it was me throw her in the corner if she comes back .shes a keeper but throw and bean down and go again . She will just take along time to bounce back

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

Am I uneducated for diagnosing this as a nitrogen deficiency? But not from a lack of
Nitrogen in the soil but from nute burn, and the nute burn is blocking the uptake of nitrogen? I was so damn sure of myself for seeing it as a nitrogen deficiency.... leaves turning light green then brown from the bottom up.

What has really got me spinning around is I have 2 other seedlings doing fantastic.

In true Aussie fashion I'm going to do nothing until tomorrow :)

Will update with pics tomorrow :)

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

Well, not to sound critical or judgmental, but your healthy plants are looking a little yellow too. I think they will start showing issues soon as well. The soil sounds too hot for seedlings. You could try to nurse these back to health, but they're so young that if you have more seeds, you'd probably be better off planting them into some new soil, some "starter" or "seedling" mix if you can find it. If not buy some perlite and mix it into the soil you have now then plant into that.

You're not far off, nitrogen deficiencies do look like this, but the give away that it's not the issue is that seedlings will use their own stored energy for the first few weeks of growth. So when you see yellowing on seedlings it's not a lack of nutrients, but almost always an abundance--or other problems such as over-watering, pH, etc.

Anyway, simplest fix would be to cut your current soil with some perlite, transplant these ones and/or start new ones.

I'd be careful transplanting these because the tap root will be a lot deeper than you may think, so if you try to extract with a trowel you'll probably sever it. Best but would be to put your hand over the pot with the stem between your fingers (very gently) and then turn the pot upside down to let the rootball drop into your hand upside-down. Just let the loose dirt fall off the roots, and GENTLY remove the rest of the dirt from the rootball that you can--don't spent too much time doing this, literally just some gentle nudges to get some roots exposed to the new dirt. Did I say gentle enough here? But yeah, expose as much roots as you can to the new mix and plop it into a hole (ps if you wanna make a worthwhile investment, get some mycorrhizal powder to throw onto the roots while they're exposed, it really helps, google White Shark or Mykos). Don't let it spend too much time exposed to the light and air, from one pot into the other should be a few seconds--the longer it's out the more they'll be shocked. You don't need to be super quick (like Indiana Jones trying to swap the idol with a bag of sand), but don't dilly dally checking out the roots and screwing with it anymore than you have to. You could try to "gently lower it" into the hole, but honestly, you'll more than likely just end up trying to grab onto the seedling or the root ball ( crushing the roots ), so just let it drop in. Make sure what you're transplanting into is a little moist or wet, not dry.

TheFertilizer nailed it IMO. Root development issues for sure. Probably due to a little of everything already noted. That would explain the differences in the 4 plants. Think about it from the roots up, but not in terms of deficiencies and toxicities. I'd definitely rework the soil. Less bark, more perlite and if you can get it there some peat moss. Worm castings are a cooler source of nitrogen also. Less manure in favor of WC's would likely help.
The soil as is will have nothing but water dispersion issues. Dispersion is critical to proper watering, drainage, evaporation and healthy root development. If you are not getting that then all the PH, nutes and flushing in the world won't help much. A seed mix is a really good idea for this stage but you should be able to sprout and veg in the same mix IMO.
Once dispersion issues are fixed then focus on nutes, ph etc. PH of 7 seems a touch high especially with that soil btw. At any rate I could ramble until Friday but the key is as TF said. Give them a good mild environment to thrive in while developing roots. Don't feed until they absolutely need it.
Good transplanting vibes your way too. They might be a bugger. Probably best to let the soil dry completely before trying it. Just move the whole thing into a reworked soil. The less you mess with the roots at this stage the better.

:Namaste:

Found a local hydro store to hook me up with some canna terra peat and perlite soil mix. Will be transplanting into it today :)
420-magazine-mobile418652183.jpg

420-magazine-mobile200512180.jpg

Hahahahaha sooooo it has been about 5 days since noticing the problem and I am still yet to act. Mostly in fear of my own ineptitude. Here is how the current situation looks.

420-magazine-mobile1167820711.jpg

A small amount of growth and no further spread of the dreaded brown colouring!

Ph meter arrived. Watered the plant. Runoff water measured 7.0 guess I'll need to pick up some vinegar!

I guess some top soil has compacted down to expose a bit of the roots or perhaps She had to grow like that to navigate around big wood chips. I thought about burying it and making it look all normal up top but it is slightly tempting to leave it as a experiment in plant initiated LST.

Here is my journal :)
Lightswitch's Truthband 707 First Time Micro Grow 2017

Lightswitch's Truthband 707 First Time Micro Grow 2017

420-magazine-mobile922862219.jpg

Back
Top Bottom