Is this ready for harvest?

Vlady

Hi just to ask of this is ready for harvest?
Used a small box no reflection and 80w clf it's a small auto. The bottom looks like the strings are all ready but the top they are still some white new ones.
Should I wait some more time? Can I do the flush or wait some more?

20150719_2321081.jpg

It depends on the strain, the color of the trichomes and if you are aiming for more THC potency or CBD potency.

I can't tell by that picture what color the trichomes are. Also, if you will be smoking this plant, you should be flushing/starving it's pot of nutrients about 10 days before harvest for a cleaner smoke.

These pictures are of the strain Blue Blood which is rated at 15-20% THC and 10% CBD.

blueblood7-13-trichs.png

Blue Blood trichomes at the height of THC production. Milky trichomes with a faint sprinkling of amber.

:green_heart:

blueblood7-17-trichs.png

Blue Blood trichomes five days later at the height of CBD production. Milky with a higher percentage of amber.​

Here are some general rules about harvesting marijuana based on trichomes and the color of the hairs / pistils.

1.If white "hairs" are almost all sticking straight out and trichomes are all still translucent (clear) then your plant is too young and not ready for harvest. Harvesting now will result in low yield and non-potent harvests.

2.The beginning of the harvest window opens when your plant has stopped growing new white "hairs" or pistils and at least 40% of the white hairs have darkened and curled in.

3.Highest level of THC is when many/most of the trichomes have turned milky white / cloudy (when viewed under a magnifier). Trichomes that are milky have the highest levels of THC and contribute to more euphoric and psychoactive effects.

4.The end of the harvest window is when the trichomes have become a darker color (usually amber/gold). The amber/yellow trichomes contribute to a 'body high' because some of the THC has converted into less psychoactive CBN, which has calming and anti-anxiety effects. With some strains, the trichomes will even turn red or purple!

5.When trichomes start looking grey or withered, the harvest window has passed, and buds will make you sleepy without many psychoactive effects. Usually it takes several weeks (4 or more) from the beginning of the harvest window for this to happen. It's much easier to harvest too early than too late.

Want more of an 'in-your-head' effect? Harvest your buds earlier, when only 40% of hairs have darkened and curled in and more than half of the trichomes are part clear/ part milky or mostly cloudy/milky.

For the "strongest" marijuana buds with the most psychoactive effects, and the highest levels of THC, harvest when almost all trichomes are cloudy/milky.

For more relaxing, anti-anxiety buds, wait until at least some of the milky / cloudy trichomes have darkened to amber. More amber = more relaxing, though the effects may be somewhat less psychoactive. Remember, curing your buds properly for at least 2 weeks to a month will also give them more of an anti-anxiety effect.

When growing your own marijuana plants, you can certainly sample buds off your plant at different stages to get an idea for what your preferences are. It's okay to cut off pieces at a time!

There is a strong tendency for new growers to harvest the plant early due to excitement.

Unfortunately, this often results in low yields and lower-potency buds.

If you are feeling excited about harvesting your marijuana plant, pull buds off the plant that look the most done and dry them and check the potency for yourself.

Harvesting the buds in stages (starting off slowly with small batches) can really help abate the excitement.

When in doubt, listen to your gut. Only "YOU" know how you want your buds to turn out. This means that even the best methods are just general guidelines. But hopefully, you're now closer to getting your bud the way you want it.

Happy growing!

Thank you for the information really help, here is a photo better quality not a macro but better, I assume I can flush correct?.
I will probably flush then and wait until it dry.

20150719_232114.jpg

Not a bad looking plant for 80w cfl, that was the strongest light used? The close up is low res hard to tell but don't see any amber. Vets can you help? OP asking about flushing and harvest time

Thanks,yes, used 4x23w cfl lights and a homemade reflector, the light was still to weak on the bottom, will use a better setup next time.

Pretty nice for 4x23w cfl good job vlady. There are inexpensive spring-clip light fixtures you can buy for next time, find a way to clip more CFL on the sides, but overall nice buds. I zoomed as best as possible trichs look cloudy it does appear it's time. Good luck!

One of the most frequently asked questions is how do I know when my autos are ready to pick? The convention wisdom from growing photo period plants was to watch for color change in the trichomes, or crystals. For an uplifting high, harvest when the trichomes are all cloudy, for more of a stone, wait till a percentage have turned amber. Sound advice, for photos. But autos are a little different. While some strains have shown amber trics, many do not.

So how do I know when they are ready? I watch the the fan leaves. Over the past several years of growing autos I started taking samples at various stages of growth to evaluate the high. I tend to prefer my smoke with a little stone so began to leave them longer than the 8-9 weeks that are advertised. I find that around 11-12 weeks the plants are ripe for me. I also began to see a correlation between the color of the fan leaves, the color of the trics and the high/stone quality of the smoke at the various sample intervals. It seemed that the greener the fan leaves, the more clear trics the buds had. As the fan leaves started to yellow and die off, the trics became less clear and more milky. By the time that all the fan leaves had died off and the bud leaves were starting to yellow, I got the quality of smoke I wanted. At that time most of the trics were now milky with no, or only a few, clear ones. Here are some examples:

AA 2.JPG AA 011.JPG Onyx and AA 014.jpg AA 1.JPG

I've found this to be a very reliable method. It takes about 3 weeks for the fan leaves to die off. During that time the buds will continue to fatten up as the plant uses the energy stored in the fan leaves. So when I see my leaves start to yellow, I wait a week, then begin cleansing them. Two weeks later they will be well cleansed and read to harvest.

Of course there will be other factors such as genetics, lighting, nutrients, pot size, etc. that will effect how long a plant takes. But as a general guide for when to pick, just watch your leaves.

See if this helps! It is legit and a quote.

Thank you all, my only question that I have left is that some say to let the leaf get yellow and start dying and then do the flush, my leafs are all green (last pic).
The bottom buds seem to be ready, but the top still is growing new white hairs, can I start cutting the bottom buds and let the top get fatter or is it not recommended to cut yet.

Found a better camera closer photos. Maybe you can tell now if its ready :cheer:

Lower section

I don't think she looks quite ready. The color of the trichs is impossible to tell from the pictures, but most of them look like they are still pointing straight out. Usually you want about 50-75% of your trichs bending over slightly. That's how I tell when to chop if I don't have time to look at them all individually with a scope.
Judging by the color of the leaves and hairs, I bet you could push it one more week on nutrients (on the light side), and then one week of flush.

Back
Top Bottom