Is this root rot?

omunegrug

420 Member
IMG_20210224_225654.jpg
IMG_20210224_225629.jpg

I've noticed this type of grow on my roots and changed the reservoir water plus added chlorine and H2O2. Now it's back again.
I've tried beneficial bacteria, but that seems to actually worsen the situation
My PH keeps going through the roof. The airstones and the bucket walls have brown gunk on them, the same as the roots.
My reservoir water is around 23 Celcius, which i think is around 74F. I've tried really hard to keep the light out, which is why im adding the other pic too.

Can anyone help with any advice?

Thanks

Many years ago I used h2o2 in my res,it runs the res sterile and supplies a small amount of oxygen to the roots. But I've never used chlorine.
They're both forms of bleach.

I've noticed this type of grow on my roots and changed the reservoir water plus added chlorine and H2O2
If you have done this you may want to do another flush with ph'd water with about a 200 ppm's

So first flush with ph'd water to 6.0 with about 200 ppm's at about 20c or 68 F for about an hour.
The 200 ppm's are to prevent stock to your roots from straight RO water.

Then drain that and mix your nutrient solution ph'd at 6.0 again with water temperature mention above.

You will need to use hydro-guard or and equivalent product to protect your roots during your bucket temp. swings, or this problem will continue.

Tok..

Hello guys, and thank you for the replies. Much appreciated.
I actually forgot to mention that my water is NOT RO, but rather really hard tap water, that i have to PH adjust before using. Should i just invest in a RO system? Also, even if i add cold water to the system or start at 18 ~ 20, it will probably swing to 23 in a matter of hours, as the tent is keeping around 26. Are there any solutions for this other than a chiller?

EDIT: My Tap water PH is around 7.6 and the PPM is somewhere around 320

First I’m not a hydro grower but adding chlorine doesn’t sound right, just wanted to point that out in hopes it will catch someone’s attention.

Can you educate me - what’s the purpose of chlorine added to a hydro grow, many here use RO water to eliminate chlorine
Not a hydro grower nor did I rent a room at a Motel 6 but the confusion is that when growing in soil many of us feel that chlorine in city water is bad for the micro-organisms. So they try to use water without the Chlorine.

In a hydro set up that has the root system sitting in water, or being sprayed with water, almost the entire time there are no micro-organisms to keep alive. The grower supplies all the macro and micro nutrients that the plant would have gotten from the soil. Many of them recommend adding something to the water that will reduce or eliminate any thing that can live in the water and attack the root system. Chlorine, in small doses, does help keep rots under control.

Maybe someone who grows in water will help out and explain better.

I would use RO water and get yourself some hydrogaurd. Just my 2 cents. :passitleft:
I cannot get HydroGuard in Europe that easily, but i can get hydroponic mychorizzal and other root nutes. I got a RO system and will try with filtered water and low nutes next, see what the future holds.... maybe add some mychorizzal again

I cannot get HydroGuard in Europe that easily, but i can get hydroponic mychorizzal and other root nutes. I got a RO system and will try with filtered water and low nutes next, see what the future holds.... maybe add some mychorizzal again

For root rot you don't need Hydroguard (brand) it self, you need something with Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens... that's the beneficial microogranism in Hydroguard.

Back
Top Bottom