Josh 4.75

I been resisting the sampling since I have something else to smoke not too fond of it but it does the job lol
Happy Sativaday Josh :thumb:

All I had was that A Train from my first indoor grow. Tastes like Vick's Vapor rub. I just gave the last 1.5 oz.s of that away.

I'm thinking of chopping Monday. The HGK samples, even though a touch immature, are far and above better.

So Monday I'll also put the big HGK mother plant into flower and start taking clones from the new strains. I'm getting excited to once again have some faster finishing strains going. 45 days is a lot better than 9-10 weeks.

Thanks guys. I'm done harvesting-for the moment. 28 Holy Grail Kush plants down. I'll try to get some pics up after work.

I've been kicking around in my head what to say about the trim machine I purchased. Still not exactly sure of what my total opinion is on it. I'm thinking I should have saved the $300-ish.

All right ladies and gents, this is the trimmer I purchased.

bud_0041.jpg

It's an 18" model. That's the inside dimension. It's closer to 20" on the out diameter. Quite a bit larger than what I was anticipating.

A shot of the fingers and the grate. I have the solid blade installed.

bud_005.jpg
bud_006.jpg

It also came with wire blades. They can be double stacked like this.

bud_008.jpg

Now to my impressions of the machine: While I consider my time valuable, I can command over $100/hr working, I should have stuck with hand trimming. I see two major design flaws. First, the wires in the grate that the bud sits on are spaced too far appart. This allows too much of the bud to be chopped off. I can remedy that. Second, the lid should fit inside the rubber gasket as to counter flash it instead of fitting over top of it. This makes a huge mess when it is opened as I try to depict in this photo.

bud_007.jpg

Now, I was so giddy upon arrival I ran the first 16 or so plants through it as fast as possible, including the colas. Big, big, BIG mistake. My brother came over to watch. He's a mathematical genius and holds an MBA. We tried grading the bud to size, changing blades, pretty much working through every possible variable to "fine tune" the machine. He also watched me hand trim. By his calculations the trimming machine is 13 times faster than my hand trimming...or, put another way, each turn of the crank equates to around 10 minutes of scissor time.

That is the good part. On to the bad part. This thing is pretty horrible. I'd guestimate that I'd put in what would dry to an ounce each go around. There would be what would equate to 1/8 lost to the blade. My thumb nails are around the size of a penny. I was pulling out buds from the bottom that size or even slightly larger. It seems to work best with the straight blade, but not by much.

This is designed for trimming fresh or wet buds. That's what I did, trimming straight from the plant, removing any leaves with visible stems, then running them. The results were far less than what I had bargained for. I knew it wouldn't duplicate a hand job (pun intended), but this is pretty ridiculous.

Here's a shot of an average hand trimmed bud:

bud_0091.jpg

These are the absolute largest that came out of the trim machine:

bud_0121.jpg

I fully expected to have harvested between 15 and 15.5 oz.s from those 28 plants. It's going to be around 1/3 of that.

Now by the above I'm only stating my personal opinion of this machine based upon my personal experience. Maybe I did something wrong. Like I said, we tried everything imaginable but with similar results. That was with three people; one with and Associate Degree, one with a Bachelor, the third with a Master. Not a bunch of idiots.

My advice, do not buy one of these. Anyone want to buy it?

So, I moved Miss Piggy, my 5 gallon Hempy Holy Grail Kush mother into the flowering tent. The light is right on top of her hoping to keep the stretch to the bare minimum. I also took clones from Blue Blood, Royal Purple Kush, BC God Bud, Northern Lights X Skunk #1, and Northern Light Blue. Hopefully they will be ready to flower in 2-3 weeks time.

Here's a couple pics of the flowering tent. There's around 4 HGK's that will be harvested next week, about the same the week after, around 18 that are still around 7 weeks out, then Miss Piggy that's be done in around 9 weeks.

Enjoy and thank you for stopping by.

bud_014.jpg
bud_015.jpg
bud_016.jpg
bud_0172.jpg

:420:

Wow man killer update,review, and pics. Thanks for the rundown on the trimmer I was quite interested as hand trimming ounces and ounces of bud gets old quick. I always wondered how those things worked and saw videos of them on youtube and thought it was a little rough and banged the buds up pretty bad, smashing the trichomes indefinitely. I think your spot on with your review though, and that when growing only small amounts like we do, a trimmer might not be the ideal thing. But for people growing pounds upon pounds,there may not be a humanly way to do it... but I prefer hand-grown and hand-trimmed. All I can think of though is maybe you put too much into the device and it wacked off too much (pun intended). :thumb:

Again, excellent looking plants and flowers, so happy to hear about the Purple Kush as well.
Buds looking great! :cheer:

I think I watched every youtube vid concerning all trimming machines. There's one guy with a bowl trimmer. It's a little blue plastic-based jobby. It seemed to do the worst results, really mangled and tore the bud. But it still left it intact-somewhat.

There's another one with a lady taking off any leaves that show a visible stem. There's a guy narrating, another running the camera, and another guy running the trim machine. The guy narrating keeps using the term "furry". My machine looks the exact same, but they look to have awesome results.

Imagine putting in your largest colas in and seeing them reduced to the above results.

Now, I do have to say that it does the best job on the smaller buds. You know, the smallest ones on the plant that seem to take the longest to trim for the least return. Also, these bud were very dense. I speculate that it may do stellar dealing with airy Sativa buds.

I was expecting close to a lb from the other day. Just not going to happen. I do have 5+ gallons of grade A trim. That will be utilized to it's fullest. Still, I'd rather have those extra ounces in top shelf Kush.

Another thing RL, my machine does remove the trichs off of the outside. The hand trimmed buds look white to the naked eye. The ones through the machine are dark green. My little microscope confirms that as well.

Fiskars Model AA0713, the spring loaded needle-nosed trimmers. $8/pair at Wally World or Home D. That's the ticket. IMHO. I pull off the little orange plastic piece that locks the blades as it slips during the most unopportune times.

Scrape the resin off the blades with a fresh and clean razor blade. Wipe them down with ISO alcohol when they get too sticky.

Yeah, but my buds are so resiny and sticky that I have to keep wiping the scissors with ISO every few minutes, it gets very very tedious very quickly. I remember KJC recommended these special non-stick trimming scissors that I need to find.

non .tick then where will all the scissors hash go?

I'm guessing there won't be any or as much, if hash builds up it should come off much easier, I would think.

Also, I plan on doing a photo tutorial tomorrow explaining with pics the whole concept with the Hempy pots or passive hydroponics. What I do is a super simple concept, really works. I just think that some folks don't understand the complete concept.

I have one clean 2 liter ginger ale bottle, all naked and wanting to be recycled. I'm planning on doing a step-by-step to this concept tomorrow.

For the DWC enthusiasts, take this with a grain of salt. Hempys work almost the same, similar results. But I don't have to rely on an air pump, water pump, nor maintain a reservoir.

K.I.S.S. Right? In my mind, passive hydroponics is easier than growing in conventional containers.

ive seen some 2 liter hempies good to run clones on em and do sog

Exactly. This method, what I'm doing, has been documented since around *1978 or so. A person could google "dahli hempy".

The whole thing, what most folks fail to grasp, is the internal reservoir and a "whicking media". There's folks running small containers as we type. Sorry, but it doesn't work the same in a small conventional container compared to a Hempy.

I realize a DWC or aerponic, or even a nutrient film set up can yield better results. I'm just saying that the Hempy method works for me personally. No rez changes. Just top water and keep the PH in check.

I feel compelled to demonstrate w/pics tomorrow. Hempy pots really are the simplest way to hydro. To each their own. But this is about as K.I.S.S. as I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom