Winter DWC Grow - Northern Lights - AK-48

UPDATE 20, DAY 186 OVERALL, DAY 7 OF DRYING

Wow! I'm shocked at how well these plants ended up! Weight going into the jars: 10.3oz.

So I have a question about the drying... First, I was shocked at how sticky the flowers were (this is my first grow). Anyway, I set the dehumidifier to 45% and hung all of the flowers on a line or the drying rack - see last photo post. No direct fan, just an inline fan connected to some duct work coming out of the top of the tent.

I checked on them several times a day starting late Sunday and by Friday afternoon, some of the flowers seemed to be finally dry but the small stems weren't snapping. I figured they were dry enough so I started doing a final little trim. After I got all of it sorted out, it seemed that the ak-48 was a little wet. It went back into the tent for the night and I finished up the northern lights.

I had 5 simple dial style hydrometers and 4 digital ones, they're all cheap, but they seem to be all within a difference of no more than 5% of each other, I spread them across as many jars as I could. It's been about 24 hours now and the humidity seems low... it's in the high 50s/low 60s... i burped them at the 24 hour mark, but I was expecting it to have to fight the humidity down... did i over dry? any suggestions on how to rehydrate?

the final harvest

FINAL UPDATE - OVERALL DAY 200 DAY 21 DRY/CURE

This is the final update for this grow journal. For the first two weeks of curing I opened the jars once a day. I had 4 digital and 5 analog humidity sensors and I noticed for a lot of the harvest it was sticking around 50%. I ordered those 62% humidpaks and put one packet into each jar and it really did seem to make a difference after a few days. I removed the packets and all jars are reading between 60% and 67%.

So, as for the taste/strength, I've been sampling the harvest along the way - taste was pretty bad in the vaporizer early on, but has gotten much better and is back to what I would consider normal. Odd thing, but it seems like it's not nearly as strong in the vaproizer as a basic water bong. I'll post a question about that in another forum.

WHAT DID I LEARN?

• patience - if you look back over the journal, the plants were looking pretty beat at one point. I was frustrated and ready to call it, but my better half intervened and told me to stick with it... just add that to the list of things that make her amazing!
  • single bucket dwc setups are tough to work with when the plants are big. for most of the grow, i would pull the 2 net pots out of their live buckets and drop them into a new set of buckets. when the plants got to unwieldy, i couldn't do that and just poured the nutrients into the buckets via a 2 cup measuring cup... what a pain!
  • environment is everything - there is a small window of environmental conditions in which this plant flourishes. I started with a 2'x4' tent and t5 lights and couldn't control the temp at all. I upgraded to a 4'x4' tent, an aircooled 600w light, and a big dehumidifier.
  • time - you are somewhat tied to your grow - i actually went 9 days at one point because i had to go out of town and there was just nobody to look after them. Unless you have some sort of autowatering/feeding setup, assume at least every day or every other day you'll be checking on them.

WHAT WILL I CHANGE NEXT TIME
  • autoflowers - this grow lasted for ever! a lot of it was me screwing up, but i'd like to see what these plants are like
  • rdwc - i want to try a couple of different plants and a bigger setup for next grow.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
I'm a lifelong gardener and for that matter a lifelong cannabis lover. I learned so much about the plant as well as an appreciation of what goes into producing a good quality flower. I'm hooked and will probably become a lifelong grower. Hopefully each time I'll get a little better at it. I want to thank these forums - great wealth of knowledge and help!

:thumb:

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Hey owl, I have read and enjoyed your journal's progress. For the length of time etcetera you did very well I reckon.
I run sterile rdwc and some difficulties with that method are just a plain pain in the arse... Good luck with that! BUT, once you get your rdwc dialed in it is a revelation to a grower. Plus rdwc is such an interesting way to grow so that adds a bit of colour. I like this method a lot... it brings much interest and of course knowledge to a grower.
Well done mate.

Back
Top Bottom