Winter DWC Grow - Northern Lights - AK-48

Update 05 - Day 37, week 04 of veg

Upped the nutrients to 7.5ml/7.5ml/4.5ml of gro/micro/bloom for 3 gallons of water for week 4... pH of water after nutrients is 6.2

Huge amount of growth from last week. :) I think I'm going to start my fluxing/mainlining next week if I have another week of growth like this...

AK-48
week_04-3.jpg

Northern Lights:
week_04-2.jpg

Roots!
week_04-4.jpg

Update 06 - Day 39, switching lighting routine

Reprogrammed the timer from 18/6 to the Gas Lantern Routine... I've been reading a lot about it and figure I'd give it a try...

Program for me:

06:00pm - Lights on
06:00am - Lights off
11:30am - Lights on
12:30pm - Lights off

First I wanted to thank the forums posters here for the wealth of knowledge and advice on the topic of growing... I've had a lot of issues with my roots and I'm scrapping my first attempt at growing due to a lot of rookie mistakes. I wanted to discuss some of them so I can try to avoid them in the next grow.

So, I think my first mistake was thinking that the reservoir was a simple unchanging system. I ran 2x 5-gallon bucket DWC systems. I focused on the exact amount of nutrients and pH at the time of addition, and then waited 5-7 days and swapped the water out and added new nutrients. I didn't check the water levels, pH, or ppm at all between changes. I know the subject of nutrients, additives, etc is a complex one, but just some simple adjustments on my part to actively monitor and respond throughout the week should help out a lot.

My other big mistake was my passive approach to temperature. I had thermometers is both buckets and a remote temp/humidity sensor in the tent. I watched them, but did nothing with that data. This is where I'm stuck. From what understand, there is an unforgivingly small window in which this plant thrives: water temp in the 60s, optimally within the 63-68 degree range. Ambient air temps between 70 to low 80s during veg and maybe a little cooler during flowering, with no more than a 10-degree difference between lights on/off.

The only place I can grow right now is in an attached but unheated garage. It's insulated but does fluctuate in temp based on the outside air - average temps in my area this time of year are 40 to 55 for the highs and 30 to mid 40s at night with the occasional cold spell send temps below freezing.

In my 2'x4' x 8' high tent, I have a 600w HID lamp with a pane of glass and duct work leading out of the tent on either side. I have a 171cfm pulling air through said ductwork. As I'm writing this, the temp in the tent at the top of the plant is 82 and the water temp is 61.8 and 61.2 in each bucket. The temp outside is in the low 40s and the air around the outside of the tent is reading 55. I have the lights on at night to combat the cold, but during the days, the tent temp and water temp drop out of that good range.

So my questions are these:

• Does anyone have experience growing in an environment like mine where the temps may vary throughout the day?
  • Does anyone have any thoughts on how to keep the ambient temp inside a small tent up when the lights go out? I'm hoping that I can figure out somewhat of an automated approach so I'm not running out to the tent every hour to make sure it's ok...
  • Does anyone have any thoughts on how to keep the water temps up?

I thought about moving to a larger reservoir, a Tupperware bin that would hold north of 5 gallons. Figured at worst I might be able to use one of those aquarium water heaters on a timer to help keep the water temps up when the lights are out?

I've been a gardener for years but I'm a complete newbie to cultivating this plant. I tend to obsess over details, so I ask a few final questions: am I making too much of the temp issues? Are the temps I've listed optimal but I may be able to grow and harvest with temp issues as I've listed?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Well buddy I'm say to hear about your troubles.Speaking from experience, room temp fluctuating probably isnt an issue. My tent will change almost 20 degrees some days.
Aquarium heaters arn't too expensive, use one for your res. ( a bigger tote would just add to your workload, I would stick to 5 gal buckets)
you can try insulating your tent from the outside to hold in heat once lights go out. ( just drape a thick quilt over it)
I Know tou want to set your system and not have to worry about it for a few days but unLess you have an Rdwc that's running on an automated system then you're going to have to check PH and ppm everyday. My ppm has to he adjusted almost daily.
I hope this helps:peace:

Hey NightOwl. I struggled with most of the same problems. Take a look at my journal if you'd like and see how it is turning out. One thing I know for sure is that 3 gallons requires a close watch on water levels and nute concentration. I went back to 4 gallons. When you have a plant drinking a gallon a day the nutes can become highly concentrated quickly and start to burn your babies. Hope you find the answers you're looking for and get on to growing soon. Feel free to shout out questions to me, I'll try to help where I can.

Did they die or did you just decide to start fresh?

I've got some funky ass root rot going on and figured I'd take a step back and analyze what I've been doing wrong instead of trying to battle the root rot and all the other issues...

I've been researching the microbe tea recipes and I'm going to start adding that to my routine as well when i restart my grow

Teas are great, the're also a bit time consuming compared to pre mixed solutions like hydrogaurd or z7. Even these products recommend you keep your rez temp
bellow 74f but they do work to keep the slime away.
I had 5 ak-48's from nirvana and all died with root and/or leaf problems for no good reason. My current plant was started alongside the last ak48 and she never had a problem. I blamed bad genetics :peace:

Ok... so I guess I over reacted... the plants have bounced back. Upon the advice from some folks in another post, I flushed them with the flora kleen and knocked off some of the bad roots and ran half strength nutrients. I assumed that the plants were done for and really didn't monitor them this week. I looked in on them yesterday and was surprised to see them doing pretty well.

After doing a lot more research I decided to say screw it to the tea/beneficial microbes and go the sterile route and just use H202.

I have the 35% H2O2 and I added 3 TBSP for my 3 gallons of water in each bucket. I also added 10ml/10/ml/5ml of gh gro/micro/bloom and 3ml of calMag.

I'm going to keep close tabs on the temps, water level, and pH for the bucket for the next week, and I'll report back on what happens...

AK-48 (top view)
IMG_267914.JPG

Northern Lights (top view)
IMG_267810.JPG

Your plant needs good bacteria in the root zone. H2o2 kills all of it, good and bad. It will keep the slime away but your plants will suffer in the form of slow growth and a weakened immune system. I've used h2o2in 2 of my grows but after switching to z7 I'll never touch that poison again. Commercial growers use H2o2 because its cheap and they don't really give a damn about quality.

UPDATE 6, DAY 75, POST TOPPING

It's been a while since I posted anything... this has been a tough grow so far! Had some root issues, some temp issues and figured I'd trash the plants and start over but they have seemed to bounce back. About two weeks ago they were looking quite healthy and decided to top them and really start to train them - it's crazy how fast they bounced back!

The AK-48 plant is looking very good. Topped it and now I've got 4 nice growth sites. As for the northern lights plant, I've still got a few issues... roots look good, but the leaves are a little yellow in certain places. Any thoughts on what that might be?

Some stats for the from the last nutrient change:

lighting: 12 on, 5.5off, 1 on, 5.5off (GLR)
nutrients: totals for 3 gallons of water: 20ml micro / 20ml grow / 10ml bloom / 3ml CalMg
pH: adjusted down to 5.5 after nutrients
temps: water - 57-65, tent - mid 70s-low 80s with light on/mid 60s light off

AK-48 topped and growing again

AK-48 close up

Northern Lights with tiebacks

UPDATE 7, DAY 78, Northern Lights is hurting... need help!!

I was checking the plants at lunch... i'm going to swap out nutrients tonight, but I thought I'd post a few pictures because the ak-48 is growing well after topping... had to rearrange the tie downs today =)

My problem is the northern lights plant... it's way yellow on good portions of the plant now and getting worse... i watch these plants pretty much everyday and I'm starting to get a feel for how they're growing and it just seems like the northern lights just didn't grow at all in the past few days since the last nutrient change. It just seems like something is choking it out... please help any suggestions? I've posted the nutrients each plant received in the post directly above this one... i've also added a picture of the roots...

oh.. one more thing.. I've doing the exact same thing for both plants when it's comes to the nutrients - both buckets are the same.

northern lights, yellowing

northern lights, roots

ak-48, growing well with tiedowns

UPDATE 8 - DAY 89 STILL IN VEG

Plants have gone crazy since the last post. I upgraded my tent to a 4'x4' and i think it made a huge difference. I also feel like I'm getting a handle on the nutrients...

since i doubled my space in the new tent I figured I'd build a scrog tomorrow night to try to contain the growth...

New tent, room to get these buggers out...

IMG_270612.JPG

AK-48

IMG_270713.JPG

Northern Lights

IMG_270811.JPG

UPDATE 9: DAY 100!!

I thought I'd post some pictures at the 100 day mark... learned a lot so far. I'm about 2 weeks from starting the flowering... things seem to be doing really well since I've switched to the larger tent. seriously check out some pictures from a few weeks ago... i thought the northern lights plant was as good as dead!

I've been training them and thought about doing a scrog, even have the screen built, but decided against it because I was worried about how to do it with DWC... I'll figure it out for the next grow..

anyway, on to the pictures.:thumb:

TENT VIEW

IMG_272914.JPG

AK-48

IMG_27278.JPG

NORTHERN LIGHTS

IMG_272810.JPG

Back
Top Bottom