KaileyPaloma Journal 2011 - Speaker Cab - CFLs - Bagseed - Newbie - Mayhem Induced!

KaileyPaloma

Disclaimer: The following story and subsequent posts are completely fictional and merely a projection of my wild imagination and dreams of grandeur.

Welp, here it goes, my first grow and subsequent journal.

Here's the rundown because I'm sure you're not reading this to hear me blab. I have gutted a Klipsch speaker cabinet (which is a shame really, it was in great working condition)

12"w x 13"d x 32"h

I'm growing in FFOF under CFLs

04-27-11 Alpha Bagseed
0427_Alpha.JPG

This is 3 days of growth, about 9 days after planting.

05-03-11 Beta Bagseed
0503_Beta.JPG

About 3 days of growth as well. 3 Cotyledons for good luck?

05-06-11 Alpha
0506_Alpha.JPG

Cotys have yellowed and you can see a bit of burn on the tip. Any suggestions are greatly welcome!

05-06-11 Beta
0506_Beta.JPG

This plant is really looking good...at least to my nubian eyes.

Here is a rear view of my cab with the 'hatch' open
0506_Cab.JPG

Ok, i would love to chat more, but I'm already late for work after struggling to resize/upload, etc.

More to come!

P.S. I watered the tentative ladies this morning.

Re: KaileyPaloma Journal 2011 - Speaker Cab, CFLs, Bagseed, Newbie, Mayhem induced!

think you could give us some information about your grow box ? how your ventilating the air , lights , if your using gonna nutes and stuff like that ?
and what do you mean by "Disclaimer: The following story and subsequent posts are completely fictional and merely a projection of my wild imagination and dreams of grandeur."
?
:peacetwo:

Re: KaileyPaloma Journal 2011 - Speaker Cab, CFLs, Bagseed, Newbie, Mayhem induced!

think you could give us some information about your grow box ? how your ventilating the air , lights , if your using gonna nutes and stuff like that ?
and what do you mean by "Disclaimer: The following story and subsequent posts are completely fictional and merely a projection of my wild imagination and dreams of grandeur."
?
:peacetwo:

Of course, my growbox is lined with Mylar, bought out of the Wal-Mart sporting goods department ($2.50)

I used reflective ducting tape and spray adhesive to fasten it to the walls.

My ventilation is an 80mm PC fan at the top with a bit of dryer hose (as seen in the photo). I have it doing 2 90 degree turns to minimize light leaks. Currently, I just have a passive air intake (I've cut a hole into the speaker and filled it with foam for a filter), but I'm considering adding another fan to reduce temps when the door is closed. It can reach upper 90's with the door closed. Its at about 79F at the top and about 75 at the bottom of the cab. Humidity also drops to about 25% with the door closed. 40% with it open.

The lights are just 2 23W CFLs at the moment. One at 6500k and the other at 2300k. There is another 18W CFL below my plants giving just a little light to a couple containers at the bottom that I'm waiting to see if it sprouts. I will be adding more lights to the box as the plants grow. I'm planning on taking it to flower very soon. I've got a 60W CFL at 6500k that I'm going to use as well as some supplementary smaller cfls. I think heat will be a factor to watch out for with such a small space, so anyone with ideas would be greatly appreciated!

The nutes I have are a Fox Farm trio (Grow Big, Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom). I used a dilution rate of 2 tsp/gal and watered Alpha with that. I thought that might have been some of the cause of the burn on the tip of the leaf, so I have just been giving them straight water with no nutrients so far. I'm assuming that the Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil that they are sitting in will have enough nutrients to get them started for a month or so... :morenutes:

I've got a couple tomatoes growing in hydro out in the garage. I thought I'd get that under my belt before attempting it on my medicine. They seem to be doing alright. There are a couple color issues that aren't showing up in my tomatoes out in the garden, but they are growing as fast as the ones outside, if not faster. I have placed them outside for the next couple days to get a little hardened to the elements. Hopefully they will produce!

As for my disclaimer...its there to prevent the wrong people from assuming that I'm doing something I'm not supposed to.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Wish me luck!

Kailey

Oh, I currently have my light cycle on 18/6 at the moment. I'm not sure if it would be best to switch them to 12/12 right away because of my limited space and the unknown factor of it being bagseed.

Oh, to live in a friendly state...

Kailey....the fox farm trio you are using is great stuff...if you read their feeding chart it starts at seedlings and cuttings...me personally dont start any nutes till they get their first set of "true" leaves...all 5..then pour the nutes to them....I also flush every 2 weeks...next off...lites can go to 12/12 at any time...they geneticaly will not start to flower till they are mature enough no matter what the lite sch...when the branches start to alternate or off set then they are mature enough to flower...if lites are on 12/12 from sprout then it will happen with out you having to do anything....you may also want to have a back up home that is a little bigger....

great start...loved the disclaimer...barring catostrophic equipment failure and unnatural acts of god...we will all have successful grows....lol

Kailey....the fox farm trio you are using is great stuff...if you read their feeding chart it starts at seedlings and cuttings...me personally dont start any nutes till they get their first set of "true" leaves...all 5..then pour the nutes to them....I also flush every 2 weeks...next off...lites can go to 12/12 at any time...they geneticaly will not start to flower till they are mature enough no matter what the lite sch...when the branches start to alternate or off set then they are mature enough to flower...if lites are on 12/12 from sprout then it will happen with out you having to do anything....you may also want to have a back up home that is a little bigger....

great start...loved the disclaimer...barring catostrophic equipment failure and unnatural acts of god...we will all have successful grows....lol

Thanks horticulture for the encouragement and good advice. I suppose I should prepare my closet for more than just my shoes...or just prepare for a lot of pruning? I don't know what these 2 plants are going to do. Hopefully they don't end up with manparts.

They look totally different from each other. But, we're still in the early stages.

I won't be home for a couple days. The wait is going to kill me...hope they survive without me checking up on them every 20 minutes.

Isn't it just SO tempting to check on them way more than necessary?

Nice hypothetical grow going :) Good luck, I'll be watching!

If I don't check on them, think of the ramifications that could have. They will likely feel unloved and become depressed. My conscience couldn't allow them to self medicate because that would be cannibalistic...and nobody likes cannibals.

Anyhoo, I should have left them a note informing them when I'd be back. Lets hope I don't end up with plants with PTSD and no way to medicate, that would just be tragic.

Kailey

Update 05/10

Well the past few days have been really busy...

When I got back home 2 days ago, I discovered the dog had chewed through the thermostat wire to my AC Unit and it was very warm in the house (about 84F). So, I put on my headlamp and grabbed my tools and did a little splicing in the dark to get my AC back and running again.

I ran quickly to check on my little ones, they looked fine, other than they were stretching up to the lights like someone was robbing a bank. The cab temp was at 97F with 28% Humidity. I should have taken a picture, but I thought I'd regulate the temp back down to the mid-upper 70s and see if they calmed down a bit. I gave them a good watering and left them alone.

The temp dropped pretty quickly into the 80's once I got the AC cranking and I put an oscillating fan blowing into the cab.

Alpha continued to stretch to the point of the leaves touching each other and then kept going till it curled in on itself. I dropped it down to the bottom of the cab about 20" from the light source(Not sure why, it just seemed less stressful). Any help or suggestions from you wonderful people would be great.

Alpha 05-10-11 10:00am
0510_Alpha.JPG

In addition to the heat spike and small amount of nutrients I gave Alpha a couple weeks ago, I put her in the soil after she sprouted from a rockwool cube. When I transplanted, I broke half the rockwool off, but it still has some rockwool surrounding its main root system. So I don't know if that could be another factor contributing or not.

Beta was germinated in Fox Farm and just transplanted into a larger container about a week ago.
I think she's really looking great and has even put on some new growth!

Beta 05-10-11 10:00am
0510_Beta.JPG

Another thing to note is that I dropped down to 12/12 yesterday. Not sure if that could play a part in Alpha's issue, but thought I should mention it.

The temperature in the Cab right now is 77.9F with 50% humidity

Thanks to everyone reading and watching!

Kailey

kailey...about alpha...prob. just heat stress..just like what you did...you moved it away from the lite/heat and gave it a proper watering...now wait a day or 2...these things are pretty resilient...you know what you are doing...just give it some time to heal its self.

Alpha is toast....TOAST. I'm concluding that it was a male anyway and not stressing about it. However, I have a new picture of Beta. All my eggs are here in this basket. I'm unable to get quality seeds and now to the point I can't even get bagseeds. Its very dry here.

Day 16

Beta 05-15-11
0515_Beta.JPG

If I can successfully identify this as female, I think I'm going to try the extreme patience game and re-veg for some clones, build another cab for the flower cycle and try to get a system down.

Thanks Horty and Cocky for the encouragement!

Kailey

Sorry about Alpha :( That's too bad...

On the other hand, Beta looks beautiful... growing at a nice rate, too. So nice to see healthy new growth, I just wish it happened faster (though i'm sure it'll come!) Are you at 12/12 early so you can keep her small?

Honestly I don't think I'd be able to handle growing in an unfriendly state, so props to you! Gogo Beta!

Sorry about Alpha :( That's too bad...

On the other hand, Beta looks beautiful... growing at a nice rate, too. So nice to see healthy new growth, I just wish it happened faster (though i'm sure it'll come!) Are you at 12/12 early so you can keep her small?

Honestly I don't think I'd be able to handle growing in an unfriendly state, so props to you! Gogo Beta!

Thanks Cocky,

Yes to keeping her small, but I suppose my reasoning was more geared to early sexing and revegging. Do you think it could cause problems to reveg when they are this small?

Kailey

Re: KaileyPaloma Journal 2011 - Speaker Cab - CFLs - Bagseed - Newbie - Mayhem Induce

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom