Keeping it Underground 600 Watt HPS + 8 Light T5 Cellar Grow

Hey trouble.... congrats on the grow! If you keep having problems with algae you may want to try deep water culture (like Im trying). I have 27 gallon tanks using 15 gallons of water in each. I also painted my lids white with a lot of rustoleum paint to block out any light.

I've found that having a lot of water makes the solution very stable. Keep that PH at 5.5! Also you nute mix appears to be very strong looking at the dark color of it. maybe you're over nuting? having a pump in the water tends to make it warm and will promote algae. Finally, Be very careful with how much peroxide you put in there... should only be a few drops per gallon (depending on what strength it is)

Bender

Hey Bendbender. Thanks for stoppin by :) I dont think ill do too many grows with this set up, not sure what its called but i like were Id have a seperate res that holds the nutes and has a drip system and a drain tub full of a bunch of Hydroton and Id just bury my rockwool cubes in that, after they come out of the seperate veg room of coarse, which iv set up. Im Going to start the res on the left over again and when its time to throw the res on the right on there 12/12 schedule ill just move it to the veg room wih my t5 till its ready for the 600 HPS
Im starting to see improvments in the plants already. I am going to really keep an eye on my PH from now on...Wont be using peroxcide anymore iv got Hygrozyme now for the algae problems which i dont seem to have a problem with, with the res on the right.
Maybe on there next feeding ill back off a tad till they perk up.
OH an i removed the drip tubes and the whole manifold from my res on the right last monday, almost all the roots were completely submerged.

I'm not experienced with active hydro, but I do know that it's not easy to keep a 10-gallon reservoir and six plants stable, especially for your first hydro grow.

Even an experienced hydro grower would have a hard time with it. As bendbender states above, it's a lot easier with a 17 or 27-gallon tub.

If you can get your PH down and keep the res from getting infected, you should do OK, but I don't think it's going to be easy to do.

ya I agree setting sun... The tubs i have are called "Super Boxes" from Lowes. They are black tubs with a yellow lid and cost $15.00. The tops have 3" squares on them that I drill out 3" holes for my net cups. The main thing i like about them is the tops are very sturdy and dont sag under the weight of the plants. They take paint well but I do use a plastic prep before i spray them with the white rustoleum. You will need to paint them as the tops are slightly translucent and will let some light in.

I have found running 15 gallons makes everything easy. I havent had to use any peroxide yet and no sign of any algae or fungus. So far my roots have been white and smell like wet hay...

good luck buuuuuuuddy.

That will definitely help, but you're going to have to stay on top of your PH, ppm's, and cleanliness.

Many hydro growers wear surgical gloves when maintaining their systems as it reduces the risk of infecting the res. I used to think this was overkill when I saw it, but I don't anymore. A res is like a big soup bowl for bugs, both fungal and bacterial.

Wow Hydro sounds to complicated compared to soil grows (they can be trying too). I would be tearing my hair out. The fungus flys I have are driving me nuts already. While I was away hubby brought in some outside hanging (vines) plants because of the temperatures dropping. Thinking that is not a good idea. Now putting them in the shed and treating them with insecticide. Then will see how that goes.

How come I never see any ----------s anymore?

Hope they recover Trouble! :popcorn:

That will definitely help, but you're going to have to stay on top of your PH, ppm's, and cleanliness.

Many hydro growers wear surgical gloves when maintaining their systems as it reduces the risk of infecting the res. I used to think this was overkill when I saw it, but I don't anymore. A res is like a big soup bowl for bugs, both fungal and bacterial.
Im trying my best to keep it clean and i do have surgical gloves from when i took a shot at cloning. I have a nice ppm meter and ph meter. The ppm meter is still a little foreign to me. I do know that i take an initial reading after i mix my nutes....plus dont i have to take a reading of just plain ph'd water first... CONFUSING but iv got the stuff to do what is needed to keep these babies healthy as long as i have a lil help along the way ill have an awesome harvest 4 sure :) Thankx Mr. Sun :)

Wow Hydro sounds to complicated compared to soil grows (they can be trying too). I would be tearing my hair out. The fungus flys I have are driving me nuts already. While I was away hubby brought in some outside hanging (vines) plants because of the temperatures dropping. Thinking that is not a good idea. Now putting them in the shed and treating them with insecticide. Then will see how that goes.

How come I never see any ----------s anymore?

Hope they recover Trouble!
Hey there Tmac :) Ya iv been told to never have outside plants anywhere near your grow area is lookin for trouble. Thanks for the kind words :) Oh and their not letting us use the b.u.b.b.l.e. word anymore??? weird dont know why...cant say TULIPS old name either??

i met a guy out here that had 135 plants in soil and only produced 2 lbs a month using 3 1000 watt lights. He gave up and i bought some of his stuff... I think my six 3-month old plants will produce over a pound alone.

Hydro for me.... And I have found that its very easy. no bugs, just check everything every day and top off the reservoirs twice a week. A key thing is to keep the high temps at 80 degrees. also dont let your water get too warm... thats going to make algae grow like crazy.

I was confused about the PPM at the beginning too but I just keep the early plants about 600 - 800 when they are young and about 1000 - 1400 after the first 6 - 7 weeks. Do you have the nutrient chart from general hydro Troublesome?

Trouble,
Great looking grow u have going buddy, I like the DWC, I have a DWC set up running right now myself. Just entering the 2nd week of flower for me. Hydro is the way to go. First grow so hoping i can come out on top. I would have to agree with bender that hydro is the way to grow. Keep the room cool and stay on top of your rez. and you will have golden results! I am pulling up the lazy boy for this grow. Lets keep it entertaining. If

nice set up troublesome2

Slappy and I are big hydro growers as well. Grew in dirt ONCE and switched off to DWC and never looked back. It's the only way to grow.

Like Bender mentioned earlier it looks like your mix is too strong in the "micro". We use GH as well and it never looks that dark. Algae and Fungus are easily controlled...no light, low temps and no light (i know I said no light twice but it's REAL important...NO LIGHT can reach your water).

And you are right...nothing from outside should be in your grow area. No plants, no gardening tools, no shoes with dirt or mud on them...nothing from the outside at all. It may seem like overkill but I truly believe that we have never had any bug or contamination issues because we strictly live those words.

Keep up the good work. You have another subscriber to your thread

:thumb:

My lord and saviour is here!!!! Howdy Skoots.....

:adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore:

Do what they do and you'll have monster yieldage. I read their journals in order and Run their system.... Works great for me.

Bender

Hydro for me.... And I have found that its very easy. no bugs, just check everything every day and top off the reservoirs twice a week. A key thing is to keep the high temps at 80 degrees. also dont let your water get too warm... thats going to make algae grow like crazy.
My temps never reach 80 but they also never go below 74 they pretty much just stay at 75. Im guessin thats because there in a cellar with a hot water heater and the furnace, Which by the way never cause any problems and im hoping to take advantage of that due to it turning to winter :) I check the babies at very bare minimum 3 times daily sometimes 10 :) LOL I check the PH and mist them twice daily. I love doing this and it excites me to see that there coming around too :) Growing is my passion and i will do it for the rest of my life. And will do all i can to learn as much as i can stuff into my brain. I will always use hydro from now on because iv done both and the difference is amazing!

I was confused about the PPM at the beginning too but I just keep the early plants about 600 - 800 when they are young and about 1000 - 1400 after the first 6 - 7 weeks. Do you have the nutrient chart from general hydro Troublesome?
Very good info thanks man :) I have one in the cellar prolly be a good thing to post one here if i can find it. I think im on the growth feeding amounts not sure though

Trouble,
Great looking grow u have going buddy, I like the DWC, I have a DWC set up running right now myself. Just entering the 2nd week of flower for me. Hydro is the way to go. First grow so hoping i can come out on top. I would have to agree with bender that hydro is the way to grow. Keep the room cool and stay on top of your rez. and you will have golden results! I am pulling up the lazy boy for this grow. Lets keep it entertaining.
Hey Kotton Mouthe Thanks for stoppin by :) Im on it bro im checkin everything AT LEAST 3 times a day seems like im adjusting my ph that many times a day too

Back
Top Bottom