Lack of growth?

Shagy

Quick question for those of you with more experience. My plants haven't made any noticeable growth in the past week, I'm a little concerned that I may have cause this. They are on a 18/6 schedule but for two days the timer was turned off which means they were given 24 hours of light for 2 days straight then went back to 18/6, could this have caused them to go into flower and stop growing :/? Other possibility is that I have way not enough light for them at the moment as I'm only using 4 23w Cfls for 9sqr ft?

Thanks for any help :)

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Oh ya sorry, 20c day 17c night. Vegetable potting soil (not sure about the contents) ph is 7 (meter is kinda old tho so probably anywhere around seven)
b275afee4cfc6a2f1a1520efebdb8348.jpg
lighting is set up on a small budget I have 4 more lights I'm working on finding a place for them. Doing a scrog thing with the left one and just kinda toppings on the right, idk what strains or if they're even female. First grow so kinda just getting my foot in the door.

5a6322dd89527dbdb1faefd004a67b8b.jpg
bc3a466bb56ba9996f152cca48b4cd52.jpg
75a5004eef67873bfb05c015a3b3c122.jpg
64e7199e9bba8e0d1027bf428cd99910.jpg

That's what the tops look like, doesn't look totally normal to me but then again I have little to no experience with this

Aight, so I put 8 more lights in. (Unfortunately 30watts per sqrft can't get more cuz of budget :( ). Should I be worried about light burning or anything like that?
439684ac85740ad64c85138ef5971e63.jpg

That'll be fine for now. I don't grow with cfls but I hear they can be up to an inch away. And they definitely should be as close as posssible because they're barely bright enough to grow with. Play with the distance and pull back just a hair when you see signs of singeing.

That'll be fine for now. I don't grow with cfls but I hear they can be up to an inch away. And they definitely should be as close as posssible because they're barely bright enough to grow with. Play with the distance and pull back just a hair when you see signs of singeing.

I found that I was bleaching them when I had the lights too close :/ isn't that why the left one has a bunch of funny colours ?

I can't tell from the photo. But from everything I've read you should be able to go up to an inch and a half away and probably closer. I'm sure that information will be quite easy to find- but the best way is to experience it yourself. Burning a leaf slightly is one way to find out the proper distance.

I can't tell from the photo. But from everything I've read you should be able to go up to an inch and a half away and probably closer. I'm sure that information will be quite easy to find- but the best way is to experience it yourself. Burning a leaf slightly is one way to find out the proper distance.

Sounds good thanks! I'll give that a shot :)

I don't think you will burn these with CFL's. Different strains are more susceptible to burning than others but since the one on the right seems nice and green I don't think its lights.

The ones on the left seem to have a deficiency of some kind or they are nute burned. Hard to tell without looking closer, but there is an awesome pictorial guide at the following URL that may help.

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

Good Luck! Have fun!

Sharky

Another note that may help next time. You can see the ones on the left are really "stretched". They are long and have thin spindly main stems. Plants in Veg usually get stretched out when they don't have enough light. I grow in closets so am very sensitive to plants stretching out. I keep my LEDS as close as I can without burning during Veg so my plants don't outgrow my cabinet.

So again, I don't think these are light burned. They need more light and the yellow leaves are either caused by nute burn or a deficiency.

Your soil has little white pellets in it which means it came with some nutrients already in the soil. It may be too much for these young plants. It's always good to start with plain dirt and then control exactly how much nutrient is added. This also allows you to
adjust the nutrient levels as the plants needs change.

Why don't you switch out those CFL's for LED bulbs. They use half the wattage and give off twice the lumens.
This plant is 23 days old grown entirely under 4 X 12w 1500 lumen (6000 lumens total) Philips 5000K LED's.
8175aa0d787385efc8c238c3b69aa973.jpg

CFLs have a very green spectrum and a low PAR rating. You can do more, using 1/2 the electricity.

Sharky- I think I burnt the left one pretty bad with by over aggressive fertilizing I've been doing my best to keep the lights nice and close, the right one is doing way better than the left one not totally sure why, I assume they're different strains.
Jimmyjames- I would but the only problem I have is where to buy them and the cost of them :( I'm on a university budget so unfortunately it becomes a toss up between food and lights :p

Does any old led work? I have done virtually no research after the point that I realized they'd be more expensive

Well I find them best ones are Philips LED bulbs from Home Depot. I tried the GE bulbs from Walmart and they were twice the price and noticeably less bright. You can use the 60w equivalent Philips (10.5 w-800 Lumen).
They're $12 for a 4 pack.
You can cut the domes off with a regular knife and get more light out of them.
bb83b8430316699f135fde65a5a6bc44.jpg

Oh. And a huge advantage is they give off very little heat. This is the temp a few inches from the light.

And here's the Lux test between a 23w 5000k CFL
d75ad45dbd7420a75dbe710f66297500.jpg

And a 10w Philips 5000k LED with the dome cut off.
0aef3d8477f7ce209ddbb4b0c45c03ea.jpg

So what your saying is I've been doing the much more expensive method :p face palm. Aight so I don't need to change my set up cuz they're still bulbs I just need to change my bulbs?

Back
Top Bottom