Late veg yellowing leaves

Daddio68

Hip. All

Have a couple gelatos on the go and leaves looking A light yellow/limey color
Feed advances nutes right now and growing in soilless mix in 5gal pots
Tops are About 20” from light.

Maybe just some new growth bot new grower and not sure if they may be tracking towards a deficiency

They have about 1 more week in veg then switching light over.

Cheers!

0750C7E1-FB85-4D39-BC65-A2B1062AF3F4.jpeg

BBE1C1C8-84C1-4276-9520-105F203B43B5.jpeg

My guess is nitrogen deficiency.

1668964964547.png

soiless near always a ph problem

looks like soil tho

hi all.. my ph is about 6.0 from
Run off
… I’ll try dropping it a bit and see if that works
I’m using sunshine mix #4

my ph is about 6.0 from
Run off
Testing the pH of the water after it has run through the grow medium does not help. This run-off water is water that the plant has already had a chance to use and if the pH was wrong the plant could not access the nutrients it needs. That water's pH after is has run through the grow medium is influenced by any salts and soluble nutrients in the medium. And, often enough, if another watering is done right away the number can be different and the grower has to figure out which one was correct.

Test the water before using it. If the grower is adding nutrients to the water as part of the schedule then add, mix, wait a few minutes and then test.

I wouldn't recommend switching to flower until the plant recovers from this problem.
Sueet brings up a good point. The situation should be under control before the plant goes into a flowering stage. That might mean having to hold off on the "switching lights over" for an extra week or two.

Thanks all

The watering in with advanced nutes, ph is usually around 5.8-6.1 and feed with this about 1-2x per week and ph water when needed for other waterings… I’ve just ordered a TDS meter as never used before, so hope this will help out some too!

Appreciate all the input being a newbie grower 😊

The watering in with advanced nutes, ph is usually around 5.8-6.1 and feed with this about 1-2x per week and ph water when needed for other waterings…
I grow in soil even though hydroponics or soil-less growing fascinates me. Your plants look really good so some of what has happened so far has been good. You have to get around this problem which might not be all that much.

Your grow medium, the Sunshine Mix #4 is strictly a hydroponic medium of approx 70% peat moss and 30% Perlite with a bit of gypsum, lime and a long-lasting wetting agent thrown in. Strictly a soil-less medium and should be treated as a true hydroponic style grow.

As far as I can tell you should be adjusting the pH of the water to 5.8 every time and not just when adding nutrients. Do not accept the 6.1 so when you see that number then adjust with pH down before using.

I am not sure but with all that peat moss I wonder if it absorbs and holds some of the nutrients for a few days and slowly releases them. But if the pH is off then the plant cannot use them. The next time water is applied it might very well be washing those unused nutrients out. There are several charts showing which nutrients become available at which pH for hydroponic style grows. The other half of those charts show the same info for soil grows and that info is helpful for those of us in soil.

The bigger the plant the more it needs and if some of the fertilizer mix is being washed away then the whole plant will be 'going hungry'. And, if the pH is wrong then when the next feed is applied the plant cannot make use of it which makes it 'hungrier'. And, it will get worse once the plant starts to flower which is why it is best to fix it now even if it takes a couple of weeks.

Are you using the Advanced Nutrients feeding schedule?

I’ve just ordered a TDS meter as never used before, so hope this will help out some too!

Appreciate all the input being a newbie grower

you should live by the ec meter in soil(less) when using bottle nutes. AN is a decent but expensive line for what it is.

as noted, you've likely got a slight underfeed happening with a bit of an n ask going on. it can be corrected fairly easy with a nute adjustment or a little added calmag.

i'd run some calmag in flower if you aren't already. i'm guessing you are using straight tap and not RO. RO will give you more control but will ensure you need the calmag throughout the grow, not just in flower.

I grow in soil even though hydroponics or soil-less growing fascinates me. Your plants look really good so some of what has happened so far has been good. You have to get around this problem which might not be all that much.

Your grow medium, the Sunshine Mix #4 is strictly a hydroponic medium of approx 70% peat moss and 30% Perlite with a bit of gypsum, lime and a long-lasting wetting agent thrown in. Strictly a soil-less medium and should be treated as a true hydroponic style grow.

As far as I can tell you should be adjusting the pH of the water to 5.8 every time and not just when adding nutrients. Do not accept the 6.1 so when you see that number then adjust with pH down before using.

I am not sure but with all that peat moss I wonder if it absorbs and holds some of the nutrients for a few days and slowly releases them. But if the pH is off then the plant cannot use them. The next time water is applied it might very well be washing those unused nutrients out. There are several charts showing which nutrients become available at which pH for hydroponic style grows. The other half of those charts show the same info for soil grows and that info is helpful for those of us in soil.

The bigger the plant the more it needs and if some of the fertilizer mix is being washed away then the whole plant will be 'going hungry'. And, if the pH is wrong then when the next feed is applied the plant cannot make use of it which makes it 'hungrier'. And, it will get worse once the plant starts to flower which is why it is best to fix it now even if it takes a couple of weeks.

Are you using the Advanced Nutrients feeding schedule?
Hey thanks for the input, appreciated!
Yes following AN schedule

I’ll be adjusting my ph according on next water/feed to the 5.8

you should live by the ec meter in soil(less) when using bottle nutes. AN is a decent but expensive line for what it is.

as noted, you've likely got a slight underfeed happening with a bit of an n ask going on. it can be corrected fairly easy with a nute adjustment or a little added calmag.

i'd run some calmag in flower if you aren't already. i'm guessing you are using straight tap and not RO. RO will give you more control but will ensure you need the calmag throughout the grow, not just in flower.
Thanks bluter..
I did use cal mag at the start, but read somewhere not needed thought out… but trial and error I guess. Can look at adding it back in before I switch to flower

So what the best way to use the tds meter… mix my nutes in my water, adjust ph and test?… what number should I be hoping for?
Cheers!

So what the best way to use the tds meter… mix my nutes in my water, adjust ph and test?… what number should I be hoping for?
Cheers!

AN should have a ppm/ec schedule either printed on the bottles or published online. there are other sources as well, most charts are fairly close to each other.

do i notice a few spider mite bites on those plants?

one thing i have not seen mentioned,, sunshine mix does have some added nutrients,, so that might need to be taken into account perhaps?

one thing i have not seen mentioned,, sunshine mix does have some added nutrients,, so that might need to be taken into account perhaps?
Don’t see any mites…
possibly…just working through some options… starting with tweaking my ph level a bit tighter to 5.8….
Chatting with AN top to see what they can advise

Thanks!

Thought I saw those little bastards too, also looks like light stress, but can't see bottom of plants. Op, may I get a sideview shot of your plants.

Few more pocs
I just did a good flush with ph water at 5.8… runoff was about 6.0

Few more pics attached
The ones with more yellow seem to be sporadic… over all is slight green
Going to hold in veg enrol they darken a bit more I think…
Looked with scope and don’t see mites
Cheers and happy Friday!

CD79E7BA-E59C-484A-A3FF-6EFD5D83D501.jpeg

162424E9-9046-4B46-A09C-181D9AADD678.jpeg

CFD342C0-257E-48F1-92B4-E25B9096DD6D.jpeg

0420DA5E-9080-4F75-8000-8679E082F84D.jpeg

1B6DBF9D-0A7F-4113-A53E-77B2DC23621B.jpeg

Don’t see any mites…
Not so much as seeing any mites crawling around on the leaves but as "nivek" called them, the 'spider mite bites' on some of the leaves. The mites can be small enough that they will not be visible without using a microscope but the damage they do while chewing on the leave can be easy to see after awhile.

Looks like more damage from spider mites in the photos just above, especially the 2nd to last photo.

Few more pocs
I just did a good flush with ph water at 5.8… runoff was about 6.0

Few more pics attached
The ones with more yellow seem to be sporadic… over all is slight green
Going to hold in veg enrol they darken a bit more I think…
Looked with scope and don’t see mites
Cheers and happy Friday!

CD79E7BA-E59C-484A-A3FF-6EFD5D83D501.jpeg

162424E9-9046-4B46-A09C-181D9AADD678.jpeg

CFD342C0-257E-48F1-92B4-E25B9096DD6D.jpeg

0420DA5E-9080-4F75-8000-8679E082F84D.jpeg

1B6DBF9D-0A7F-4113-A53E-77B2DC23621B.jpeg
Check under the leaves too, they hide. But, I see evidence they were there.
Also, the short internodal spacing, tacoing leaves and bleaching on top show she's suffering trying to process too much light. Also, unhealthy plants are more susceptible to bug infestations. Back off the light a little to allow her to recover.

Back
Top Bottom