Leaves curling down from center like an upside down canoe

420freaker

So before I state the problem, my plants have endured quite a bit of stress so far. I planted the germinated seeds in late December, I had them in very small pots with regular potting soil 2 in each with a total of 8 plants (one died almost immediately after I planted make ing it 7) I used 2 cheap $20 24 watt led grow lights (obviously wasn't ideal for 7 plants and 4 pots) they were at a light cycle of 20 day 4 night. By mid January I noticed that on some leaves were getting spots of a lighter green, almost an off white on the biggest leaves (only affected about 4 leaves) with a different texture on the spots. They were also getting yellow-green on some edges and spots and seemed to be spots where the most light was. Anyways I couldn't find out what the problem was on the Internet, if I had to guess it was probably because of the small pots and the deal with those 2 cheap lights. I moved them into one of those tubs used for storage that are normally gray (if I had to guess its 2ft by 3ft with a depth of 2-3ft) it's about half full with dirt. At the same time(last week of January) I got a good led light that's a 300 watt equivalent, and has a switch for flowering and veg. I left it in veg. for about a week so they could be a little healthier for flowering. I switched to the flowering light cycle almost a week ago. The plants seemed to be doing great until several days ago I noticed that the newer growth on one of my healthiest plants had the leaves curling downward, not from the tips but down the center of the leave, so it resembles an upside down canoe. I just got a pH tester and I tested the water going in at 8 but drained out of the holes I drilled at the bottom at between 6.0 and 6.5 but closer to 6.5. I just use tap water without nutrients. Sorry if this was extremely long I'm a little stoned as of right now. .
420-magazine-mobile424859644.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1189889286.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Im not sure what your issue is but I can tell you that you have some very acidic soil if you put 8ph in and are only getting 6-6.5 out. 6.5 is the optimal ph range you want your soil and feedings to be. I put 6.6 in and 6.4-65 runs off. Also you said you switched to bloom. It looks to me that you have just your bloom switch on by the amount of red in the picture. You should have both the veg and bloom switch on in case you didnt

anything that occurs in nature cannot be unnatural!

Also since you upgraded your led panel you might consider adding some calmag into your feedings if you havent already. Led's tend to make the plants require more calcium and magnesium

But for future reference try to be a little more detailed in your whole micro enviroment and feeding schedule that way people could better help. That is why you have over 48 views and only one response. I hope things turn around for you

anything that occurs in nature cannot be unnatural!

I wandered in yesterday but wasn't sure what to say. It would be good to see the red photo in natural light. It's extremely hard to diagnose a problem when a plant is lit up in some weird colour.
The lower pics are a bit inconclusive, at least to me. They could be light burn, or something else. Things would fit together better if we saw the whole plant.
As for the ph thing/ it may be totally fine. Normally you do not want to water at ph8. But plain water as long as it's low ppm, is easily shifted and isn't so much of a ph problem as a high ppm solution. Which includes very hard water with lots of calcium and whatnot in it. Basically- the higher the concentration of the solution then more effect it will have on the ph of your growing medium, and the more important it is to balance- and vice-versa. Understand?
So to put a ph8 solution in and have it come out 6.5 may be perfectly normally- because your soil is balancing it out very easily. 6.5 is a fairly normal runoff ph for any sort of soil or medium that has dolomite lime in it.
It does still sound a bit like the soil is acidic. But it might not be. It depends what you put in there to get that runoff ph.

Hi freaker, welcome to 420.

If I understand, you started with 48w total light, switched to 300w unit split between grow and flower settings. If it's like most LED units is actually only draws about 135w (they are designed to run lower than max rated wattage to keep from burning out diodes). With just the grow switch on that's about 45w, and now you have only the flower switch on which is about 90w. So you doubled the amount of light and switched the spectrum at same time.

My guess is light burn plus magnesium issues like cannoisseuras said. I would raise the lights up, let plant adjust to new light, then add grow switch back on (or do it now and raise lights a little more) and then use the old lights as side lights to increase yield from lower buds. And start using cal/mag or epsom salts.

There may be other things going on. If you post pictures of whole plant in natural light we can work those out too. But I think adjusting the lights and adding magnesium is most of it.

Soil acts as a buffer but not that fast

Yes and no. I'm not arguing- and I think you're likely right about the ph being off (it usually is,lol) just stating a possibility. It seems to be a little known fact that the ph of plain water is pretty much an empty value. For the reasons I tried to point out a little bit earlier. Plain water should be a ph of 7. But it often has some small amount of added chemicals which shift that ph. For example- my rainwater is 5.6 ph (picks up some acidity from carbon in the atmosphere). 5.6 is quite a lot farther away from neutral than ph8. But I can take a five gallon bucket of that water and add a drop of ph+ or ph- and it will shift drastically. The reverse is true. Put that rainwater in your soil and it will be shifted extremely easily by any lime or any other buffering agents in the soil.
It's probably a moot point here anyway. I just want to clarify it a little. The importance of ph of a solution is directly related to the ppm of that solution. Unless your 'plain water' is a high ppm solution, then ph'ing plain water is a waste of time. I haven't done it in about five years and it doesn't happen in nature either so it must be unnatural.

Hi im a first time grower and my leaves are starting to curl up and cup im not really sure what the problem is i water when the top soil is dry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    943.8 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,017.9 KB · Views: 140
Back
Top Bottom