LED Test

dogue

hi all, my name is dogue, (because of my love of the breed) iam from the uk. i have been reading with great intrest the grow journal of Lao Tzu (irish) and how he went on using the 126w and 180w LED's. i believe he is now on a 600w LED (well thats were iam up too). my intrest in LED's is purely the cost of running HID's in the UK, which is VERY VERY HIGH (no pun intended). i would like to gain as much knowledge as posible, before going down that rd.

Welcome to the 420 Mag family... it's great to have you w/us. :welcome:
If you haven't already, please take a moment to check out the guidelines: Forum Guidelines - Please Read Before Posting

Here are some other links that may be helpful:
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

How to Ask for Grow Support

How to Grow Marijuana - 420 Magazine

Mission Statement

Medical Marijuana Lounge - 420 Magazine

Take your coat off and get to know some of the locals, the staff here are great and our members are top shelf... :Namaste:

I own two sets of LEDs, both much smaller wattages than what your talking about. My first was a 90w tri spectrum LED UFO, I was so impressed by its vegging power that i bought another set of high intensity LED rail lights.
I feel that plants veg under them just as well as under CFLs of much higher wattage (I went from using a 250w CFL to a 90w LED and noticed no slow in growth).
I never tested them throughout flowering since theyre only in my veg room but i was very impressed with mine, I did fairly extensive research into them before buying and it was a couple of years ago so i have a feeling things have come on somewhat... at the time i came to the conclusion that they had to be at least 1w per led and of course dual spectrum at least if you intend on using them in both stages. A bit reluctant to put flowering plants under them as im kinda scepticle although with the advent of 3w leds and 600w systems im sure you can achieve good results.
All the best
GA

thanks all for the advice ,just looking at what company to go with (warrantys,guarantees and feed back from users)

thanks steve iam looking at going for the GS 600W Quantum. (just need to check shipping costs) the space i have to grow in is 3m x 3 m and will use the 5ltr pots

thanks steve iam looking at going for the GS 600W Quantum. (just need to check shipping costs) the space i have to grow in is 3m x 3 m and will use the 5ltr pots

9 square meters? That's just shy of 100 square feet. You'll want a LOT more light, unless you only intend to grow in part of that space - in which case I'd suggest partitioning it off.

dogue,
welcome to 420. I have a little experience with LEDs. I put together a short read on buying them. You can find the link in my sig.

Best of luck.

Thanks steve, with reading your journals i have gone with Advanced LED's 600w Diamond Series. think i might do a journal too ! as i could do with all the help i can get (total newbie)

how many do you think i would need !. i am new to this and trying to learn as i go along !

I have no LED experience. Just seemed like a really small amount of light for the space. IF one of those 600-watt lights is adequate for a 4'*4' space or thereabouts, then you might try setting up four of them. When using multiple light-sources, you can tailor the setup so that the "fade-out" parts of each light's footprint blend together in such a way that together they provide adequate illumination in the area(s) between the lights. I suppose a light-meter (especially one that measures PAR) would be helpful.

Hopefully someone who has used LEDs to light areas of that size will see this thread and help you.

TS is on the mark with the 4X4. If you have 4 of them in that space the area that overlaps gives you a "3rd off effect" essentially creating the equivalent of an added light in the gap. If you can find the point where the lights drop off to 50% effective then that is the area you want to hit with two lights. With four lights you will have a total of 5 "3rd off areas", depending on how you position them. You should be able to get quite a bit of coverage with that setup.

I know in speaking with the guys at Advanced, they use a very high-end PAR meter, you may be able to get the distance for a specific height to create the optimal setup.

A good source for a PAR meter is your local aquarium/reef club if you have one. Those guys are just as serious about their lighting as growers are.

thanks TorturedSoul and stevehman, as i said above total newbie to growing and learning as i go along (good and bad). i think the one light will do untill i i fully understand what iam doing. i think iam all ready to go have mother (just waiting on cuttings) PH & EC meter, intake outtake fans, will upload a picture of the room i have made. open to every bit of help i can get, thanks everyone, just waiting on my Advanced 600w Diamond, carnt wait :p

Best way to get help is to post a journal when you start. Link to the journal in your .SIG and soon you'll have plenty of "viewers.'

Good luck!

thanks, soon as the light comes will "try" and start a journal in the mean time here is my current set up

2r7lftd.jpg

34yelao.jpg

y6qg.jpg

Is that the space that is 3m square? It looks like you're going to have some height restrictions on the sides, making your effective footprint about 2x3m. When the budget allows, I would put three of the 600s in there in a | | | configuration. At about 24 inches above canopy and 24-30 apart on center (just a guesstimate on that).

Back
Top Bottom