LED vs. HPS

Anyone considering the strain comparison? Indica will be bushier than Sativa, right? I guess this is one more piece of the puzzle when comparing apples to apples.

Tech, I have no interest in flowering with my LED.. I do not think it compares to just a 400 in flowering...That is just my thought, I only went a month in before I had to move it.. I use between 600 and 1000, but mostly just the 600 unless I have more then three plants going, then I will kick in the 400.... My G-13 took a lot of abuse, and I usually go pretty light on Nutrients..The next one I do I will see what it can take nutes wise... Once I see some positive results from the LEDS I will get right back on the band wagon. Keep up the good work tech.... I am learning a lot from you guys...

Great discussion guys. I hope someday LED's will be in everyones grow. I have the illuminator UFO in my grow room and the Illuminator Pro 300w in the flower room. I dont have any experience growing but from the pictures I have seen of plants grown under HPS there is a big diffrence. I have LED grow going now and I am a little dissapointed in the slow progress although the first plant I ever grew is looking good and almost ready to harvest. My plants appear to be streching even though I have had the light as close as a few inches from the 300 watter. I have a few plants I started at the same time two under the 90w led and 2 under a 2 foot flourecent growlight. The flourecent plants are looking better. I dont have the data on how far along they are right now or the tube wattage or type (Its nap time in my room) But I thought it was interesting a $400 something led is gettting beat by a 20 buck light system. I did choke when I bought the lights they cost over 2 g's delivered to my pals place. And the site I bought them from dosent even have the illuminator pro listed it has been replaced with a new light and bigger pricetag. But I am battling heat and noise in my room. Plus my electric bill is through the roof even before I began the grow. So I like the quite and minor heat they produce. And Im sure the saving on my electric bill will more the cover the price over the life of the light. Just my 2 cents worth and now days 2 cents aint worth much.

Just keep that journal going LED, and you may want to back the LED off a ways. I did notice that when I got that close to my plants it almost halted growth. There seems to be a happy medium that I noticed and that was from 14-20" , and think I got my best growth ( for the LEDs) at around 16 inches... The one thing I did see with the LED is the potential, and I really do think they will dial it in sooner than later...

First plant ever day 50, 26 inches tall only LED lights.
I have a grow posted but cant figure how to paste the link.

2007_04204200001.JPG

2007_04204200005.JPG

Just keep that journal going LED, and you may want to back the LED off a ways. I did notice that when I got that close to my plants it almost halted growth. There seems to be a happy medium that I noticed and that was from 14-20" , and think I got my best growth ( for the LEDs) at around 16 inches... The one thing I did see with the LED is the potential, and I really do think they will dial it in sooner than later...

Almost like the amount of light is there but the penetration isn't? Or perhaps that there has to be that distance for the different wavelengths to mix instead of illuminating individual single-wavelength "spots?"

First plant ever day 50, 26 inches tall only LED lights.
I have a grow posted but cant figure how to paste the link.

Open your grow journal in a separate tab in your browser. Click on the address box. Hit CTRL-A to select the entire link (if it is not automatically highlighted when you clicked on it). Hit CTRL-C to copy the link. Return to this thread, start a reply, and hit CTRL-V to paste the link. Due to the (proper) way that this site is set up it will paste the link and display the actual thread title instead of the www address. (Make sure "Automatically parse links in text" is checked in your advanced message entry options, but it probably is.)

EDIT: BtW, if that plant you posted pictures of is LED-only and not the one with the flouros too then I'd say it's looking better than a lot of people would have expected. How many more do you have under that light?

TS, I get really good penetration from mine, I was really surprised... None of my plants like the LED that close. They would stop growing and then start to look sickly.. They would perk right back up when it was raised...

The floursent light in the picture is from a clamp light that I use just to look at the plants when Im in the room I dont have them on all the time. They helped with the picture. The room is mostly red when the lights are on. I have another plant I started at the same time and it looks like crap. It is really gangly and really small buds the are anywhere near harvest. I had to tie the top down becaus it was growing to tall. The seeds are from bags in the past so I dont know what to expect. I have a hand full of bag seed plants and maybe 5 white widows in the flower room . I was throwing a few in every week. The good seeds are only a couple week into flower. My journal is with some Burmese /fucking incredbles from VISC The site calles them 420's. I did make a clone of the plant in the the picture. Its hurting a little but hopefully it will grow into a mother.
It under the LED ufo right now.
LED grow 1st for newbie

Hey yall, been gone a while, and I can see you guys are still rockin' without me. Heres a few pics of some of mah girls, finishing up under my 120W quad-band. About week 10 now, all led, all bare-bones, all organic. Oh, and this would probably be considered a cold-grow too, I guess.

AK-47
ak13.jpg

Hindu Kush...starting to purple up very nicely
hindu.jpg

Hawaii Pineapple- Full view
pine1.jpg

Closeup on top-
pine2.jpg

Sour D X Silver Haze cross
sour.jpg

Alaskan Thunderfuck X Hawaii Juicy Fruit
thunder.jpg

HTG carries them. The 120 watters are $500. You can also get a 3pack of the 50 watters (150 watts total) for $400, but those are the dual color LEDs (rerd and blue), not the tri-color (red, blue, and a few white). IMHO, it would be cheaper and better to get the 3 pack of the 50 watters, and fill in with a small CF bulb instead of providing the white thru the LEDs.

cheers

HI everyone I buy my leds off Ebay.red and blue for less then 100 a piece I have 23 -50 watts and 3 ufos I have a very small crop of lowryders 8 plants 2 paneles on 1 plant and 1 on the rest and 2 cfl23 watts on each.I ues only 1 ufo, I had a plant too close to it and made it yellow aa its fine now, ps I learned a BIG lesson on starting seeds..my new batch turned very yellow ,I was useing water this time that I had brought down the Ph with Ph down with I learned from reading not to do this on Mandela seeds ,,they looked very bad i gave then filtered water Ph 6.2 and one has started to
Item Title : LED Grow Light Panel 50Watt High Power 900 UFO 220V
Item Number : 260394105238
Marketplace : eBay
Item Price : $58.95 pluss 15.00 to make it 110 volt and 12.00 shipping so cost was 86.00
Number of Items : 1

recover,,the Ph down is like a weak nut. this lesson was very costly,, have a great day

Ironrider... a question on a techinical note.... could it be possible that the lower ph simply made a wider range of neuts available to the plant rather than the PH down adding any actual neut value to the mix? It's my understanding that different levels of the various minerals in the water are available to the plant at different levels depending on the PH.
For example, Phosphorus may be best "absorbable" to the plant at a ph level of 5.7 than at 6.2. Thus, it would funtionally appear that moving the ph from 5.7 to 6.2 by using less ph down caused less neutrient levels in the water, while in reality, less levels of the minerals are available to the plants. Note: numbers used are example numbers only, I have no idea what ph level phosphorus is best at.

Sorry to nerd out

Cheers

The most perfect Ph for coco is 5.7..but seedlings perfer 6.0 tp 6.2 I used water out of my bucket that has 3 air stones in it after a day or so the Ph goes from 5.7 back up to 6.1 that is what I water my seedlings with ther for my The Ph down messed up my seedlings bottom leaves died next set turned yellow to allmost white now 1 has recover,im starting over with Disteled water had no trouble the first time starting seeds,I use disteled for a few dayes then filterd water form my tap. this time was a real mess,,,back to your point the Ph does efect Absorbablty thats is why some people lower the Ph only a littly then use vinager to lower it more so it will raise up on its own to let it vary from low to high a good trick if you can do it right,, so I do beleive Mandela saying that ph up has some nute like efects good luck to you next month i will post my grow to much going on right now later my freind

Dear ledmcbucks-

Thanks bud, yours is looking mighty fine as well! I've been taking pictures every week during flowering, but I haven't made a formal grow journal. All the info is here though if you have any q's about anything...

Water-

Those 120W quads are running about $400-450 from Chevy Light Co, check 'em out. I'm pretty sure HTG just has them make it and slaps their logo on it. There is a newer co. that has some veerrrry good prices on custom 300-600W'ers, I'm testing these next and I will post information on these once they pass inspection.

As for the white in the mix, theoretically I agree with Tead about adding a small CFL, but for efficiency/heat/space sake its pretty easy to have the manufacturer replace 5-10 of the 120W in the spread with white instead of having a whole separate light for that. **Exception to this is germ-seedling stage-- Seems to benefit tremendously from having heavy supplemental 6400K CFL lighting.

First round of bud cut and cured, quality A+++! More LED, please!

i am at 8 week now. i am now starting to the 12 on 12 off stage. my plants have been short and stumpy. very thick stalk. very big leaves. i had two plant blooming at 16 6. i have never seen that before. one male one female.. the female has some very tight buds started.. i think these leds are going to great. not panels.. if anyone remmebers me i started a journal . but was going to terminate. well i just could not do it. i have 2 300 watt led at red 660nm and blue 460 nm. with cfl to supplement.
i will never use hid again.
that is if the buds are going to be like i think they are. i constantly pick leaves. i get rid of them . but when i pick these leaves my fingers are very very sticky when i am done. i hope that is an indication of how good these plant are going to be.

but any way.. led panels suck. hi power led veg great. and i believe the flowering part will be great. i will give me final opinion in 8 more weeks. that is usually how long it takes to get good quality buds. if that is the case this tiem it will only be 16 week total grow time from beginnng to end for a harvest. that means i can harvest 3 times a year. wooohooo.!!!!

i constantly pick leaves. i get rid of them .

Why remove leaves? They are what the plant uses to turn the light into energy? If you are worried that they are covering up buds, perhaps you could move or tuck them under instead?

He said because they was pink im guessing the leaves was already dead or is it just the led turning that color not sure? Ts is right though if they arent dead tuck them in use a papperclip or thick yarn.

Tip if the leaves are dead save them in jar after the grow is over after there good and dry make hash

Back
Top Bottom