Light movers - somebody say something

Re: Light movers...somebody say something

Such as tracks to move one or multiple lights to extend lumen coverage and even lighting concepts.
How many lights and what wattage, the size of room are you intending to use?

Thanks much for replying. Been tryin for two weeks to get someone to comment on the subject. I have a 10 x 10 room with 4-1000w and 2-600w stationary lites. Can I cover the same area with a traveling lite setup with less wattage? I would like to reduce my energy usage and heat without sacrificing my yield/quality. What do you think? :scratchinghead:

The link is a setup I am looking at.

Light Rail 5.0 Commercial Drive Greenhouse Light Mover

:ganjamon:

I would think 3 1000watt hps on a light mover would be sufficient for a 100 sq ft for sure.

Good to hear from you again. Wanted to say thanks for your help earlier with my sick ones (depressed in ca). With your help and others they are happy again and I'm on my way towards being a better caretaker. :grinjoint:

btw, I was hoping to use 4-600w hps as it suits the design of the mover better. what do you think? :hmmmm:

I have 2 1K HPS's on 7 ft rails.. 10x10 area....works great

can u recommend a manufacturer?

I got the 10rpm version. I would have been happier with the 6. Good luck with it. I do recommend the robo sticks as a accessary to it. They make hanging the lights and keeping them straight so much easier.

got them as well

^ Yes, you can adjust the track length. ;-)

Good to hear from you again. Wanted to say thanks for your help earlier with my sick ones (depressed in ca). With your help and others they are happy again and I'm on my way towards being a better caretaker. :grinjoint:

btw, I was hoping to use 4-600w hps as it suits the design of the mover better. what do you think? :hmmmm:

You are soo welcome! I'm glad I was able to help. 4 600's would be perfect. 1 600 hps will cover 6x6 ft, so you are more than just covered. Your plants should be more than happy under those. Do you have sufficient ventilation?

Do you have sufficient ventilation?

I really have no clue what suffcient is........

I have an 8" fantech drawing thru a carbon filter with two filtered intakes on the other side of the room from the fan that are 16" x 20".

Is there a rule of thumb for cfm of air displacement?

I really have no clue what suffcient is........

I have an 8" fantech drawing thru a carbon filter with two filtered intakes on the other side of the room from the fan that are 16" x 20".

Is there a rule of thumb for cfm of air displacement?

there is a CFM recomendation but if youve got an 8" fan you are moving plenty of air...trust me

there is a CFM recomendation but if youve got an 8" fan you are moving plenty of air...trust me

excellent! thanks! :thanks:

Re: Light movers.somebody say something

Hey everyone. I was also looking into light movers but for a slightly different grow scenario. I have a 4 x 4 tent and want to put a light mover in it so it can only be 4 feet long. Can the rail be cut down to fit without too much issue?

The reason for the mover is that I want to do an LED grow with a ScrOG. I want the LED light array to move over the canopy kind of like the light element in a copier/scanner does. That should give the whole canopy some time under the direct light.

Does this seem like a good idea or am I just throwing my money away? Is it possible to run a light mover in such a small space?

Hey everyone. I was also looking into light movers but for a slightly different grow scenario. I have a 4 x 4 tent and want to put a light mover in it so it can only be 4 feet long. Can the rail be cut down to fit without too much issue?

The reason for the mover is that I want to do an LED grow with a ScrOG. I want the LED light array to move over the canopy kind of like the light element in a copier/scanner does. That should give the whole canopy some time under the direct light.

Does this seem like a good idea or am I just throwing my money away? Is it possible to run a light mover in such a small space?

That's about what I've done with my new lighting array. I've got pics up in my journal if you want to check it out.
With the Gualala light rail the tracks are either in three foot sections that attach to each other or in single 6' sections. They're made from aluminum so yes they can be cut down with a cutoff grinder or hacksaw. The travelling distance is completely adjustable.
I'm also using a 4' Hydrofarm light track for an led. This is a chain driven type. I really like this one for my led because it moves so slow. It takes about 20 minutes to travel the 4' distance. With a chain drive type you have to make sure the chain is good and tight or it can pop off the sproket just like a bike with a loose chain. The travelling distance is not adjustable with this type. They also retail for about half the price of the Gualala units.

So the expensive ones are distance controllable but the chain drive is not so the chain driven one cannot be cut, correct? Is that because it is a 4 foot unit and that fits your tent? Is there a chance my LED array could hit the edges of my tent? The tent is the Hydro Hut Silver Edition 4 x 4 which is actually a bit bigger than 4 feet but does the motion go all the way?

So the expensive ones are distance controllable but the chain drive is not so the chain driven one cannot be cut, correct? Is that because it is a 4 foot unit and that fits your tent? Is there a chance my LED array could hit the edges of my tent? The tent is the Hydro Hut Silver Edition 4 x 4 which is actually a bit bigger than 4 feet but does the motion go all the way?

The chain driven models cannot be cut down. They come in 4' or 6' lengths. I think HTG makes some chain driven models. I'm not sure of their sizes though. The light will move the entire length of the chain driven type so if it butts up to the sides of the tent, so will your light.
My lights will come on in about an hour and a half so I'll go get the exact length of the chain drive mover and post it for you to compare with your true tent width. I'm pretty sure it's right at 48" but it may be a bit shorter or longer.

Another tidbit for buying movers is that the gualala models are constantly popping up on ebay for about half their retail value. That's how I scored all of my movers. They are used but these movers are pretty reliable and last for a very long time when maintained and used properly.

000_0309.JPG

Okay Munki I got the specs for you. The chain driven mover total length is 47" but the motor is set a couple inches in on the track so the light travels about 45". I think you could shorten the travel distance by removing the motor mount, redrilling it mounting holes inward to the desired length, and removing the right amount of links in the chain so it goes back together nice and tight.

In this pic I've got a gualala 3.5 w/ a trolley moving two 430hps in the foreground and the Hydrofarm track in the background moves a 90 watt ufo

Back
Top Bottom