Light proofing windows

fatbuds420

how important is light proofing windows? can a really small light leak do damage? or are people overreacting? i've grown weed outdoors, with light leaks (from the bathroom window and other outdoor lights) and i didn't have issues

can alluminium tape be a good way to light proof windows?

Can't compare outside to inside

To much to discuss, easy answer is YES, light leaks can cause lots of issues indoors
what is exactly a live leak then i might ask

can a small 1cm hole in the tent do damage? is there a safe amount of "light leak"? i'm just asking because there is no way to 100% light-proof my windows because of the way they are made

I don't subscribe to light leaks being as big an issue as others but that's me. I have the vent flap at the bottom of the tent open for air circulation when extractor fans kick on. I don't know how much ambient light from my room gets into the tent but suspect some must. I do have a piece of cardboard to stop direct light from getting into the tent. Last grow netted me 20 ounces from 4 plants and this present grow looks decent too.
20191226_121907[1].jpg

I don't subscribe to light leaks being as big an issue as others but that's me. I have the vent flap at the bottom of the tent open for air circulation when extractor fans kick on. I don't know how much ambient light from my room gets into the tent but suspect some must. I do have a piece of cardboard to stop direct light from getting into the tent. Last grow netted me 20 ounces from 4 plants and this present grow looks decent too.
20191226_121907[1].jpg
yeah idk i feel like people are paranoid... outdoors you have stars, the moon, thunders, and artificial light.

so how can a little light hurt indoors?

yeah idk i feel like people are paranoid... outdoors you have stars, the moon, thunders, and artificial light.

so how can a little light hurt indoors?
I agree with you. People have been growing in the city for decades with nearby street lights or lights in a parking lot. I know a guy who had his medical grow in his back yard. On the other side of the 6 foot tall privacy wall was the parking lot for an office building and that was lit up. Whenever he pulled into his driveway at night the headlights would have lit up the yard even though they did not shine directly onto the plants.

We won't know for sure just how critical having a glowing red light on a power cord is unless someone starts to do a test. Same with a light leak by the zipper on a grow tent or a small light leak by the door of a grow closet.

Someone had an excellent posting just a couple of weeks ago about the appearance of male flowers or flower parts on otherwise female plants. Part of the cause of these was the plant making an end of season attempt to produce seeds. The msg went on to say that sometimes these male flowers did not mature, did not produce pollen or were otherwise incomplete. All of these were naturally occurring. I knew I should have saved the msg.

Maybe people do have the light leaks and they believe that their plant is going to become hermaphroditic because of a small amount of light coming in. But, it would have happened anyway because of a tendency for that particular plant to show male flowers or flower parts.

Who knows, maybe the light issue is just more of the bro science which keeps getting passed on. We will not know until someone can start doing controlled growing operations to test those theories.

I agree with you. People have been growing in the city for decades with nearby street lights or lights in a parking lot. I know a guy who had his medical grow in his back yard. On the other side of the 6 foot tall privacy wall was the parking lot for an office building and that was lit up. Whenever he pulled into his driveway at night the headlights would have lit up the yard even though they did not shine directly onto the plants.

We won't know for sure just how critical having a glowing red light on a power cord is unless someone starts to do a test. Same with a light leak by the zipper on a grow tent or a small light leak by the door of a grow closet.

Someone had an excellent posting just a couple of weeks ago about the appearance of male flowers or flower parts on otherwise female plants. Part of the cause of these was the plant making an end of season attempt to produce seeds. The msg went on to say that sometimes these male flowers did not mature, did not produce pollen or were otherwise incomplete. All of these were naturally occurring. I knew I should have saved the msg.

Maybe people do have the light leaks and they believe that their plant is going to become hermaphroditic because of a small amount of light coming in. But, it would have happened anyway because of a tendency for that particular plant to show male flowers or flower parts.

Who knows, maybe the light issue is just more of the bro science which keeps getting passed on. We will not know until someone can start doing controlled growing operations to test those theories.
idk man, i get pretty pissed off when someone turns on the lights while im' trying to sleep. i might grow some balls and start chucking shit too :p

Keep in mind

Outdoor plants spend their lives going from Fulbright to full dark slowly , moon, street lights, etc, their entire life

indoor plants don't , they go from full light to instantly dark I don't live through any Ambien situations big big big big difference between indoor and outdoor growing

Not sold

I encourage you to try it yerself

Keep in mind

Outdoor plants spend their lives going from Fulbright to full dark slowly , moon, street lights, etc, their entire life

indoor plants don't , they go from full light to instantly dark I don't live through any Ambien situations big big big big difference between indoor and outdoor growing

Not sold

I encourage you to try it yerself
Agreed, yes the plants experience the slow light progression but many growers have their power cords with the small red light that is on all the time. Most light leaks are there all the time. On top of it, most nights are not full dark. Even away from the big cities there is still enough light that people can walk down roads and paths.

If it is a case of suddenly turning on a light which causes the problem that is the same as a cloudy night with a full moon when the clouds clear for an hour or more.

Until my Federal Govt reschedules Marijuana it will be hard to run true tests in this country. Need to do 100s of plants side by side under the various lighting conditions.

So far, during the lights off period I have opened the door to the flowering cabinet while the room lights were on. The Blue Dream did not start growing male flowering parts, ever.

At times I have grown some Papaya clones under very controlled light & dark conditions side by side with other Blue Dream clones. The Papaya started growing male flower parts and the Blue Dream did not.

If a Klingon or a Bagseed clone started to grow male flowers I would track down every other clone taken from the same mother plant and sure enough they also started growing male flowers. It would not matter whether there were light leaks or not.

I just do not buy this arguement that the least little spot of light will suddenly start the growth of male flowers during the flowering stage. What is important is to not interrupt the plant's production of the hormone that causes it the start and the continuation of flowering. That means to keep it dark enough to stop photosynthesis and a small light leak will not start photosynthesis up again as far as what I have read or experienced.

idk man, i get pretty pissed off when someone turns on the lights while im' trying to sleep. i might grow some balls and start chucking shit too :p
Ya, I know that feeling.

But, plants do not sleep. They just switch from photosynthesis and sugar production to using up the stored sugars to produce growth. Instead of taking in CO2 and giving off O2 they reverse and take in the O2 and give off CO2.

d
Agreed, yes the plants experience the slow light progression but many growers have their power cords with the small red light that is on all the time. Most light leaks are there all the time. On top of it, most nights are not full dark. Even away from the big cities there is still enough light that people can walk down roads and paths.

If it is a case of suddenly turning on a light which causes the problem that is the same as a cloudy night with a full moon when the clouds clear for an hour or more.

Until my Federal Govt reschedules Marijuana it will be hard to run true tests in this country. Need to do 100s of plants side by side under the various lighting conditions.

So far, during the lights off period I have opened the door to the flowering cabinet while the room lights were on. The Blue Dream did not start growing male flowering parts, ever.

At times I have grown some Papaya clones under very controlled light & dark conditions side by side with other Blue Dream clones. The Papaya started growing male flower parts and the Blue Dream did not.

If a Klingon or a Bagseed clone started to grow male flowers I would track down every other clone taken from the same mother plant and sure enough they also started growing male flowers. It would not matter whether there were light leaks or not.

I just do not buy this arguement that the least little spot of light will suddenly start the growth of male flowers during the flowering stage. What is important is to not interrupt the plant's production of the hormone that causes it the start and the continuation of flowering. That means to keep it dark enough to stop photosynthesis and a small light leak will not start photosynthesis up again as far as what I have read or experienced.
damn, i could've not said it better! i feel the same way, i just wanted some opinions

Back
Top Bottom