Light question?

Here are the pics, My roommate purchased these lights from a grow website about a year and a half ago. He doesn't remember anything about them so I am unsure of the watts. However my question is which of the bulbs (the more blue-ish or orange-ish) I should be using in this stage of my plant growth( plant pics are below light pics). Also my plants are really green, maybe nitrogen overdose, any suggestions what I should do? Lastly I am considering purchasing some nutrients, I know they say advanced nutrients are the best so is that what i should go for? is it the best for the price? any cheap alternatives? Lastly I Have been hearing good things about dutch masters liquid light, does anyone have any experience with that?

grow_lights_1.jpg

grow_lights_2.jpg

plant_update1.jpg

plant_updates2.jpg

plant_update_3.jpg

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/plant_update_3.jpg

It's the other way around. The blue spectrum bulbs are good for vegging, and the warmer bulbs are suited for flowering.

gman, I'll give you a few pointers. I see you're using CFL's, so I would keep the bulbs about 2-3 inches away from the plants to maximize the light they receive. Also, I would take the foil off of everything because it doesn't reflect the light well at all, and can possibly increase your temps and create hot spots. You're better off using mylar or white paint or white paper or something.

I wouldn't say your plants have overdosed on anything, they look very good right now.

When you buy nutrients, take your soil into account also, and make sure you don't have any nutrients in the soil that feed the plant gradually, as they can mess up your feeding schedule and burn the plant. What type of soil are you using?

I'm not very experienced with nutrients as of now, but I plan on using Fox Farms Tiger Bloom for flowering. I didn't use any nutrients for vegging, and the plants did just fine, however they probably would have grown a bit faster and bigger if i had used some.

Hey K20...Just a note. If youre plannin on usin FF Tiger, it should be used prior to flowering. When the babes are ready to start the flower run, healthy amounts of phosphurous is required. FoxFarm has a 3 pack system specifically designed for such an occasion. First is OpenSesame which helps begin the flower/bud process, followed by Beastiebloom which cuts nitrogen to 0 and ups the phosphurous to 50, finishin up with ChaChing which brings back a tad of nitro but continues to hammer the buds with the phosphurous at 45. Be careful, they all pack a serious punch of 45 in the phos's or more. Read directions carefully. It isnt your Grandma's typical rose bush food. If used properly, the results can be scary...Of course, there is always the safe but quite insane Bat Guano. When used skillfully, the high-phosphurous blend can take bud formation/growth to a whole nuther level...Peace and good luck...MF

K20...I stand corrected, somewhat. Tiger Bloom is 2-8-4 and indeed is considered a blooming agent. The FF site does say it promotes flowering and with a phosphorous # of 8 it would be. If you read their feeding schedule chart you will see the Tiger Bloom is somewhat middle of the road. The 3 pack system is on the far right of the chart and as you can see, the phosphurous levels increase tremendously. Compared to the 3, Tiger Bloom is what I would consider mild when it comes to promoting bud/flower growth. Sorry for any confusion. peace n good luck MF

I used fox farm ocean forest planting soil. So would you recommend turning of the orange-ish light off or will it not hurt to keep it on? anyone know of a website or some where to get cheap lights and what kind of light do you recommend. I don't think i will grow any more than 3 or 4 plants at a time.

K20...I stand corrected, somewhat. Tiger Bloom is 2-8-4 and indeed is considered a blooming agent. The FF site does say it promotes flowering and with a phosphorous # of 8 it would be. If you read their feeding schedule chart you will see the Tiger Bloom is somewhat middle of the road. The 3 pack system is on the far right of the chart and as you can see, the phosphurous levels increase tremendously. Compared to the 3, Tiger Bloom is what I would consider mild when it comes to promoting bud/flower growth. Sorry for any confusion. peace n good luck MF

yeah that's what I figured you were saying. they have a lot of their nutrients on the feeding schedule, but I think I'm going to just stick with one product since it's my first grow and I don't want to mess anything up. I've been lucky to not have any issues so far. Since the TB has a bit of everything, I figured it would be the most beneficial product to use since I only plan on using one.

I used fox farm ocean forest planting soil. So would you recommend turning of the orange-ish light off or will it not hurt to keep it on? anyone know of a website or some where to get cheap lights and what kind of light do you recommend. I don't think i will grow any more than 3 or 4 plants at a time.

Good call on the ocean forest soil. I've seen many people using it with amazing results. I wish i would have gotten some for my grow.

It won't hurt the plant to keep the light on, but the plant will grow a bit slower than if you had a cooler spectrum bulb. For cheap lights, just grab some CFL's. you can find them at most hardware stores and other general stores. I've seen many people using ~25W ones with good results. You will need a couple of lights per plant though if you want to go that route. The trick i've seen to get the most out of CFL's is to keep them close to the plant, and keep the plant tied down so you can get the light just where you want it.

I got my 45W CFL's from Home Depot and they were $10 each. They output 2600 lumens each. If you were to get 2-3 of these for each plant, you will be in business. You can never have enough light, especially with the lower intensity fluorescents. It's only a few bucks more per bulb, so get the highest wattage ones you can. the blue spectrum (6500k) is suitable for vegging, and the warmer spectrum (2700k) is suited for flowering.

an even cheaper route is what I did and picked up 2 4ft shop lights at $10 each. a pack of 2 tubes was only like 3-5 bucks, and combined you will be running 160W and outputting 12,800 lumens.

It's not anywhere near as efficient as an HPS or MH lamp, but if you're on a budget, it gets the job done.

Hope this helps some. Happy growing :cheer:

QUOTE: [It's the other way around. The blue spectrum bulbs are good for vegging, and the warmer bulbs are suited for flowering.]

Crap, that's what I've been doing wrong.

Thanks for the info TheCrimsonK20. I feel like an idiot for switching that up.

Higher and higher...

:thanks:
no problem dude, that's what we're all here for!

Save up about $150 and you can get an incredible 430watt son-agro setup off E-Bay/Craigslist, whatever.. I found mine there have used it for two grows, with insane results..with that light, there is no excessive temperatures that scare people away from MH and HPS normally. (I can place and keep my hand directly on the hood without discomfort and hold my hand 2" under the bulb itself indefinitely) Also the light is a 70/30 mix of Red and blue spectrum, which means you only need the one light, no need to switch or combine, which lowers your electrical costs.

I see questions on lights all the time, and I have to wonder why more people aren't as thrilled with this light as I am, but I will happily shell out the $75 for a new bulb once this one goes, and honestly I have no intention of ever trying to replace what seems to be an ideal solution.

That's my 2 cents, spend it wherever you want. :)

I have another question, Im looking into buying a hps but do I need a ballasts? and I'm am unsure of the specs used to describe (for example: ed17 35). Also the website elights.com have hps lights for fairly cheap but they are under "commercial lighting" rather than "grow lights", does that matter?

I have another question, Im looking into buying a hps but do I need a ballasts? and I'm am unsure of the specs used to describe (for example: ed17 35). Also the website elights.com have hps lights for fairly cheap but they are under "commercial lighting" rather than "grow lights", does that matter?

That shouldn't matter any as long as there hps (high pressure sodium) they should work fine if you can get them cheap cool but do some research and make sure that's what your buying I would find a local grow supply that's what I do :grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom