Lighting Advice - CFL type specifically

Rebekah85

I just ordered a T5 four foot light fixture with four bulbs. I'm trying to keep cost low. How should I set up grow area for 4 plants? I have a hanging light fixture and homemade adjustable stand but wondering if I'll need to put smaller lights around plants since I don't have a tent and what kind of bulbs should I use throughout grow cycle? When do I switch light type or am I able to keep them under 24 hr light? First time grower so I need help. Some say 18on/6dark at end for budding but some say not necessary.Help please!

depends what your growing?
if they are an auto, I keep mine at 18/6.
and if your wondering if you've got enough light.......get more.
ive done a cfl grow, and it really went well.....but I needed more light.
second grow was with a metal halide exclusively.....and I could have used more light.
either way, get more light

Hi Rebekah85.

Welcome to 420 Magazine and the community that gathers here.

So many questions. I think you'll find that some time spent looking through the grow journals and/or forums around the site will pay huge dividends in finding reliable information.

Understand using the T5 lights to keep cost low, but frankly I think you could could have found a High Intensity Discharge (HID) for only a little more than I suspect you spent on the T5. Eventually I believe you will want more light and you can augment with additional flourescent bulbs.

During the early stages (vegatative state) of your plants lives you will want bulbs in the T5 that have a higher Kelvin number. You'll see this expressed on the packaging as 5000K or 3200K. The closer you can get to 6500K the better. Depending the type of cannabis plants you grow, the conventional wisdom is that lighting during the early stages should be provided in something close to 16 hours on/8 hours off. Think summertime when the days are longer and plants outdoors are growing like crazy.

Switching the time on vs. off of the lights is done at your discretion. This all assumes you are planning on growing photo period plants as opposed to auto flowering plants. Photo periods require a change of light schedule to initiate blooming where auto's do it on their own time frame. An auto would be a good first experience but many of us started with just bag seeds we had from stuff we liked.

To manage the time switch, you should anticipate that your plants will "stretch" when the light schedule is changed and plan accordingly. You will note fairly rapid growth usuallly with increased spacing between the branches (nodes or internodes) of each "limb" (main stalk that grows upward as opposed to laterally). The size of your plants will generally double or even triple during this phase and is most likely when you will begin to want more light.

At this time the on/off light schedule should be changed to something like 12/12 or 11/13. Also upon changing of the light schedule, you will want to use bulbs more in the 2800K range. Think, fall: Shorter days, Sun lower in the sky producing light that's has more yellow and red to it due the angle of refraction.

As for a how your area should be set up, I'm afraid there are far too many variables for anyone to provide a credible answer. You mention not having a tent and this brings me to some generalities that might help you plan. Tents generally provide only a couple benefits. Stealth - you don't have plants, lights, etc... somewhere easily visible. Protection for the plants from unintended light sources taht interupts their light/dark schedule. Reflection - bounces a small amount of usuable light back toward the plants. Can't offer suggestions re: stealth and unintended light, but will offer that flat white paint runs a VERY close second to all the reflective materials used in tents and films.

As you get closer to starting your grow, consider making a journal of your own and inviting others to follow it. The thing about the folks on this site that initially attracted me and keeps me coming back is the sincere interest they take in seeing other growers be successful. No ego, just help for someone with a common goal.

Be well and happy growing.

Oh, and as Brewer suggested - you will always want more light! LOL

Wow great advice! Thank you all. I'm super busy unfortunately so limited on time to browse forums or YouTube. I've decided to get a small green house I found and line it with reflecting material maybe thise cheap coleman emergecy blankets? Which will also help in keeping it dark. I have those 4foot T5's ill hang in the center and just scored a few more 2 and 4 foot CLF fixtures for cheap. I'll read through that bible on how to grow too. Now its just a matter of learning when to transplant and maintain. I bought fem-autoflower and also just feminized seeds to start. Any other tips are welcome.

I have used my 4ft t5s for starting all of my plants and it has done perfect
e57479e96bd89200e9edbeaa263243c5.jpg
these r when I first started and now I'm down to my 3 ladies
97b4ffb5469563838cfa76b853a4f867.jpg

Back
Top Bottom