Lighting question

Gazoobee

So I have 4 plants under a 600 watt MH. I started them under florescent lights for about a week or so, then put them under the MH at 50%. There about 3 of 4 week old now. I gave them there first dose of nutrients about a week ago and there looking pretty good. I have them on a 18/6 light schedule. So my question is, should I go from 50% to 100% on my light now or should I go to 75% for a while. Thx

Dimmable ballasts are made to use different bulbs. i.e. a 1000w ballast with a 750w and a 600w setting is made to run either a 1000, 750, or a 600. Changing the wattage going to a 1000 watt bulb to 750w changes the light color and shortens the bulb life.

Thanks for the explanation. Huh, I can understand the difference in light color, but I'd expect that running a 1000-watt bulb at 750 would extend bulb life. (Running a lower wattage bulb at higher wattage than rated shortening the life, that I could understand.)

Dimmable ballasts are made to use different bulbs. i.e. a 1000w ballast with a 750w and a 600w setting is made to run either a 1000, 750, or a 600. Changing the wattage going to a 1000 watt bulb to 750w changes the light color and shortens the bulb life.

Absolutely Incorrect.

"Dimmable" (keyword: "DIM") ballasts are for dimming bulbs from max stated load by set percentage. As an added bonus you can also run bulbs smaller than rated max load in them, i.e., a 600w bulb in a 1000w ballast setup. There are no horticultural bulbs in 750w that I'm aware of.
Perhaps you got "dimmable" & "switchable" ballasts confused, though switchable ballasts can also be used to "dim" max load bulbs as well as use lower load bulbs.
Also, dimming lights does NOT shorten lifespan, nor increase it-but overclocking (i.e. using the "turbo" setting which pushes on average 10% more power through a bulb) WILL shorten a bulb's lifespan unless it's rated for use @ +10% over rated max input (Genesis bulbs are the only non-DE bulbs I know of that overclock.)
If you don't have experience in this field, I suggest posting things clearly, as theory, not fact. That way, your wrong information doesn't mess up some poor bastard's grow.

Ok, ☕

You can say that dimming a 1000 watt bulb to 600 watts doesn't shorten the life but anyone who has run hps or mh for a good amount of time will tell you different. Sounds like you are going by what the factkry states in their specs instead of personal experience.
Do an experiment, run two identical setups, one at 600 with a 1000 watt bulb and one running at full power and see if the dimmed one doesnt burn out in half the time. And how, in any way could what I said mess up someones grow, I was stating my opinion.

Changing my light spectrum is reason enough for me not to dim ballasts. I could see maybe the newest digital ballasts not shortening bulb life but like me, most growers can't afford all new equipment every year.
It even states this on tech data sheets that come with ballasts.
Lamp and ballast systems should
meet the requirements of the appropriate American National Standards Institute (ANSI) specifications for
both starting and operating lamps at full/rated power. Magnetic ballast dimming systems may not be
capable of maintaining recommended ANSI specifications in the dimmed mode. Failure to meet the
required sustaining voltage may cause premature lamp dropout and shortened life...

Absolutely Incorrect.
If you don't have experience in this field, I suggest posting things clearly, as theory, not fact. That way, your wrong information doesn't mess up some poor bastard's grow.

Good info, but harshly stated. Maybe next time try to be a little less blunt and a little bit more diplomatic? We're all learning here.

Changing my light spectrum is reason enough for me not to dim ballasts. I could see maybe the newest digital ballasts not shortening bulb life but like me, most growers can't afford all new equipment every year.
It even states this on tech data sheets that come with ballasts.
Lamp and ballast systems should
meet the requirements of the appropriate American National Standards Institute (ANSI) specifications for
both starting and operating lamps at full/rated power. Magnetic ballast dimming systems may not be
capable of maintaining recommended ANSI specifications in the dimmed mode. Failure to meet the
required sustaining voltage may cause premature lamp dropout and shortened life...

Where magnetics are concerned, that's absolutely correct. The new e-ballasts aren't magnetic, they're electronic. Magnetic ballasts don't offer dimming options that I'm aware of, the closest I recall are HPS/MH switchables, not varying wattage, where magnetics are concerned. And people buying ballasts these days rarely buy magnetics unless buying the absolute(!) cheapest they can get. (Honestly, e-ballasts are cheeeeap now. Maybe $100USD if you shop around. There's really no need to use magnetics at all, any more.) Added bonus: Magnetics run hot AF, whereas e-ballasts run almost cool to the touch. And in an enclosed environment like a grow tent, every °F/°c counts.
If you run magnetics, don't dim. But e-ballasts are microchip controlled & dimming is fine. E-ballasts also "soft start/shut down" the bulbs, helping maximize life span. Bulbs should be replaced 1x/year or every 4-5 cycles. Most e-ballasts have comprehensive 3-5 year warranties these days-I suggest buying from a grow shop that will honor any issues, it's a lot easier than online returns. Between everyone I know, I'm unaware of a single e-ballast failing, out of several dozen, in the past several years.

Ok, ☕

Good info, but harshly stated. Maybe next time try to be a little less blunt and a little bit more diplomatic? We're all learning here.

Mis-info stated as "fact" is an epidemic hereabouts.
Not sure how to sugar coat "Don't post inaccuracies as "facts" it's a friggin' headache to correct." It's easier tbh to just let the bad data ride. That said, I'll try to be less blunt, maybe. .

Ok, ☕☕

Mis-info stated as "fact" is an epidemic hereabouts.
Not sure how to sugar coat "Don't post inaccuracies as "facts" it's a friggin' headache to correct." It's easier tbh to just let the bad data ride. That said, I'll try to be less blunt, maybe. .

Ok, ☕☕

It may have been a bit harsh but by all means be blunt, less room for misinterpretation.

Here's what Hortilux has to say about dimming HID bulbs

Will I hurt my 1000W HPS if I dim it down to 50 percent or any percentages even turbo?
We do not recommend dimming HID lamps in general. Dimming your HID lamps effectively changes the spectral quality coming from the grow lamp which in turn affect the quality of your plant growth.

As you dim your light, you are reducing the heat inside the internal arc tube. This heat is critical allowing the chemistry to mix properly with the electrical arc which produces the spectrum required for plant growth.

You will have better quality plant growth from a 600W light running at 100% than you will from a 1000W light being dimmed down.

Overdriving your grow lights is not recommended because you run the risk of shortening the life of the lamp, burning off the internal chemistry much faster and you could possible blow up the lamp.

Is Running your 1000watts super hps on 750watts bad For the bulb. Does the spectrum Change.what about running at 500watts
We do not recommend running any wattage lamp at a lower or higher wattage setting.

By reducing the wattage to the lamp you will affect the quality of the spectrum which in turn will affect the quality of plant growth.

By increasing the wattage to the lamp you will shorten the life of the lamp significantly.

Always operate your HID grow lamps at their rated wattage for reliable performance.

- See more at: HID light FAQ, Electronic Ballast FAQ

You don't have to be blunt to clear.

Tact. Diplomacy. Kindness. In a community, we are not just factual, we are respectful.

Like I said Scientific, a bit harsh.

Absolutely Incorrect.

"Dimmable" (keyword: "DIM") ballasts are for dimming bulbs from max stated load by set percentage. As an added bonus you can also run bulbs smaller than rated max load in them, i.e., a 600w bulb in a 1000w ballast setup. There are no horticultural bulbs in 750w that I'm aware of.
Perhaps you got "dimmable" & "switchable" ballasts confused, though switchable ballasts can also be used to "dim" max load bulbs as well as use lower load bulbs.
Also, dimming lights does NOT shorten lifespan, nor increase it-but overclocking (i.e. using the "turbo" setting which pushes on average 10% more power through a bulb) WILL shorten a bulb's lifespan unless it's rated for use @ +10% over rated max input (Genesis bulbs are the only non-DE bulbs I know of that overclock.)

Ok, ☕
Ouch....Im some new bastard and appreciate the INFO.

Back
Top Bottom