Lights? Help

Telene

420 Member
I have a 96x48x80 grow tent. I was wondering if I could get some help with choosing a light system. I was thinking LED but I really don’t know. I I want a system that will cover the entire grow area. I was even thinking about installing my light on a motorized track that moves back and forth. Any suggestions. Thanks Oh. Not too expensive

Blew makes a good point on budgeting. If you can try and stay away from the cheaper chinese LEDS...go with a reputable company that has tested their lights on actual plants and not cheap knock offs.
Having said that you could look at Timber Grow Lights, their Quantum boards, or Mars-Hydro for their Cree COB's. You want to have around 35-40 watts per square foot if I recall.
If you go with an HPS/MH light setup you need a minimum of 600W up to 1000W for that size tent. It will provide enough light for four plants easily and some have stuffed more in there. HID lights are cheaper but run a lot hotter and you need to be able to control temperatures so as not to get too high.
Hopefully that helps a bit. @Derbybud has great success with the Mars-Hydro line.

Blew makes a good point on budgeting. If you can try and stay away from the cheaper chinese LEDS...go with a reputable company that has tested their lights on actual plants and not cheap knock offs.
Having said that you could look at Timber Grow Lights, their Quantum boards, or Mars-Hydro for their Cree COB's. You want to have around 35-40 watts per square foot if I recall.
If you go with an HPS/MH light setup you need a minimum of 600W up to 1000W for that size tent. It will provide enough light for four plants easily and some have stuffed more in there. HID lights are cheaper but run a lot hotter and you need to be able to control temperatures so as not to get too high.
Hopefully that helps a bit. @Derbybud has great success with the Mars-Hydro line.
I hardly use my Mars hydro heat lamp. I use my QBs for veg and flowering. The only time I use my Mars is when the tents are cold and i'm trying to germinate seeds. Maybe a bit of veg but if I can keep it off i'm better off.

I hardly use my Mars hydro heat lamp. I use my QBs for veg and flowering. The only time I use my Mars is when the tents are cold and i'm trying to germinate seeds. Maybe a bit of veg but if I can keep it off i'm better off.
oops, my bad...it was the other Derbybud. Sorry Derby, for some reason I thought it was you.

Hi Telene, welcome to :420:. For your space, you might need at least two big panel which can cover 4x4 area for flowering. And you will need at least 35w/sft, so total real wattage of LED lights should be no less than 1120w, don't look at the advertisement wattage such as 1000w or 2000w, those will misleading you. :smokin:

Agree with Derbydud.... Quantum builds will not let you down
Stay away from stuff like Mars Hydro
All of the Mars Hydro panels are upgraded now Stunned

Whatever you get, make sure PAR is as close to 800 over the largest mass of the plant making sure to factor the 'cone' shape of the beam so nothing's excluded and accounting for heat to achieve that PAR at the needed distance for your setup so you don't burn anything.

Most mfg.s have the cone chart in their ads that give PAR values. As stated don't go by advertised power, it's what it draws from the mains that tells the real story.

Mylar can increase PAR up to 25%, but it can also only hit 1% if the reflection is dampened by proximity and such.

Can't offer opinion on brand, just what you want to achieve no matter what you go with.

Back
Top Bottom