Lights under the canopy?

Thought I have been pondering for a while and looking for input from others who have actually done it.. We’re you doing hydro or some other method? Scrogging or just staking the plants up? My main thought is that if defoliation under the canopy is due to lack of light penetration wouldn’t adding say a few led bars under the canopy help? Wouldn’t necessarily need to be on the floor, mounted on the walls pointing into the canopy should boost yields a tiny bit I would imagine.. I’m open for any constructive criticism or open thinking

Leaves most efficiently capture light from above, thus most people do not incur the added expense of inefficiently trying to add light from a side angle. From a pure cost/benefit perspective, many will trim out the undergrowth in an effort to redirect the plants's use of light (and growth) to the uppermost exposed leaf surfaces. At least I do....:)

I had a friend who did a test where he put reflective foil on the floor to bounce light back up. He had one box with 2 plants with and one box with same 2 strains w/out. He`s said it did produce larger then average pop corn nuggets that were allowed to grow on one plant. But by culling all the bud sites below the conopy, normally ALOT. All the energy and nuit`s are directed to the main stems and cola(s). Making them even fatter, possably double. So he felt that it did help in one area. He, like most of us would rather have 12 giant buds. Then 28 - 36 very pretty ones......

Leaves most efficiently capture light from above, thus most people do not incur the added expense of inefficiently trying to add light from a side angle. From a pure cost/benefit perspective, many will trim out the undergrowth in an effort to redirect the plants's use of light (and growth) to the uppermost exposed leaf surfaces. At least I do....:)
That’s currently what I do BH, I have always defoiliated but was curious if it may be worth it. Have also considered revegging a plant after harvest but I have a good clone success rate soo I’ll stick with that for now.. good to see someone else from Maine poking around the forums!

I currently wondered the same in my scrog and it got bushy on top again. I got a sorta weak red/blue led grow light that clips on and has three bendy arms with the light rods on the end. Have them mixed in under the top canopy. Doesn't seem to hurt and the bud sites do seem to be growing bigger right next to them. I figure it can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom