Lollipopping and when to start

so how beneficial is lollipopping for a first time grower and if so when do i start , currently in 3rd week of veg
And I've been growing for almost 10 years and I still lollipop, easier, simple, less work cuz I'm lazy :rofl:
139.jpg
6wks.JPG
She's only 6weeks w/4weeks left to go!!
GDP x Liberty Haze.JPG

You can put them into flower as soon as the nodes start to stager or she has pistils on the nodes...shows she's ready
Hello,

Came across this grow. Nice work! I'm not sure I understand fully. How do i know when the time is right to switch?

Hello,

Came across this grow. Nice work! I'm not sure I understand fully. How do i know when the time is right to switch?
When young and not fully matured, the plants leaves will be directly across from each other. Where the leaves come off the stalk is called a node. When those nodes start to stager instead of being straight across from each other, that shows maturity and that's when I...veg it more...but it's ready to flip :popcorn: ...unless it's a clone, then it's already mature and it's up to you how big you want it :hmmmm:

And thanks, she's my own (accident:laugh:) cross :drool:

You can lollipop now.

:goodluck:
I was thinking about lollipopping, but know it's too early. When is it the time?

And I was in Kittery, ME over Thanksgiving. Was spending the weekend in Portsmouth and jumping back and forth. Gorgeous part of the country!

now my next question how do i decide on what needs cutting and what doesnt
cmany thanks in advance
A true lollipop IMO is part of a SOG (sea of green) where you remove all the lower branches and use the upper most part of the Plant (the main cola) and you have 6,8,10...or how ever many plants you have the light coverage for, that way you get 6,8,10...or however many colas the size of a gourd ... :yummy:
EDIT: Or you can branch a single plant off several times and make 6 or 8 tops and do the same with less plants, but you need a hardy plant with strong side branch ability, but the colas on this branched one, while big will not be as big as a single cola from a single plant..

now my next question how do i decide on what needs cutting and what doesn't many thanks in advance
I cut off the bottom 4x limbs...they are always fairly fruitless and just suck up nutrients. I then trim out the fan leaves that would get shaded from direct overhead lighting. You'll probably revisit it later during veg. Important not to keep trimming once it hits flower...need to get this done in veg.

:goodluck:

Its beneficial if you are trying to fill in space. Only applies if you are trying to have every square inch the lights touch hit plant. The lollipopping will stop wasted energy going to lower branches that will eventually get suffocated out once canopy is full density.

So lets say you have a plant maximum or only so many seedlings popped you can fill in a denser canopy quicker without waiting for the plant to grow like a tree below it. If you're growing for speed or profit it often makes sense to put more tall skinny plants in the same space and not wait for the plant to build out.

One beneficial aspect of lollipopping is as the plant grows outwards it widens the roots and thickens the stems allowing better nutrient distribution during flower. Just takes time though.

Back
Top Bottom