Lollipopping, do you do it and when?

luckyduck69

i've seen quite a few conflicting grower's advice on this subject, I've done it veg to give plants few days to recover before the flip to flower, as i have a 36 hr dark period between the 2 but almost everything i take off grows back and isn't really worthwhile imo, others say they do it after stretching around 21 days into flower. We're always told pruning and trimming in flower are a no no by most and would like to hear opinions from those who lollipop in flower.

I top an loly in the first stages of flower during stretch to get the shape I want. I stripped this plant just before lowering day-time to 13/12 hrs and just as stretch started. I took a shite load each time and it all grew back really quick, sure I may not have those big solar panels any more but we all have our own methods

20230512_054925.jpg

20230515_075426.jpg

I probably have better pics but can't find em
Mines look the same as yours within a week or 2 after pruning and don't see the point in doing it but have seen plants from other grows and can clearly see they've lollipoped their plants, they have to do it in flower or more often and doesn't seem to have harmed their plants in any way, might try it during flower on a couple plants this time to see how i fair out.

I sure don't lollipop my plants in veg, late flower maybe if it's humid
In a tent, I top so I have 8-12 main colas and just strip out the popcorn under the canopy
Not sure if that counts as lollipop lol
Never heard of it done in late flower, until now that is lol striping off the small sites is supposed to help the plant put the energy to the ones that's left and better quality buds overall.

Never heard of it done in late flower, until now that is lol striping off the small sites is supposed to help the plant put the energy to the ones that's left and better quality buds overall.
The first 6-8 branches produce the primary colas so I only chop the crap off the lower stem once they are set
I don't take off leaves unless they are fading, or I need more airflow

dsc_1113-jpg.2503043

i've seen quite a few conflicting grower's advice on this subject, I've done it veg to give plants few days to recover before the flip to flower, as i have a 36 hr dark period between the 2 but almost everything i take off grows back and isn't really worthwhile imo, others say they do it after stretching around 21 days into flower. We're always told pruning and trimming in flower are a no no by most and would like to hear opinions from those who lollipop in flower.
I have done both. Lollipoping and just leaving her natural. I swear by the results of Lollipoping, simply because it reduces the lower insignificant bud sites. The Plant will then re-direct the energy from the chopped lower 1/4 to 1/3 to the upper remaining colas.. I have been doing it for years and my friends just want to buy my shit faster than I can grow it. Because of the larger Nuggs. JM2C :passitleft:

Lollipopping and defoliation throughout flower is a must in my garden. Much better yields. Better airflow, less humidity....only non benefit is it takes a bit of work. Plus I mulch all my leaves to feed the worms and microbes. Imo there is no perfect time....but day 21 and 49 are pretty close for full defoliation. I like to lollipop when I feel stretch is almost done, and I can tell if any of those lower branches will produce or not.

Lollipopping and defoliation throughout flower is a must in my garden. Much better yields. Better airflow, less humidity....only non benefit is it takes a bit of work. Plus I mulch all my leaves to feed the worms and microbes. Imo there is no perfect time....but day 21 and 49 are pretty close for full defoliation. I like to lollipop when I feel stretch is almost done, and I can tell if any of those lower branches will produce or not.
Spot On my friend!! :headbanger:

Over the years people have started to call lollipop trimming to be any sort of trimming done at any time without any real goal in mind and that can lead to the conflicting info.

Lollipop trimming is an old method of shaping the plant before it goes into flowering. It involved removing all the leaf growth from the bottom 1/3 of the plant leaving a somewhat round or ball shape to the remaining canopy. Then some of the major growth tips on the remaining canopy are trimmed. End result is that instead of 4 or 5 major tips there now are 20 or so. End result is this can often give the plant the look of a large "lollipop" candy sucker.

others say they do it after stretching around 21 days into flower.
There is a method of trimming flowering plants where some of the leaf growth is removed at about 3 weeks and then about 3 or 4 weeks later. It was frequently mentioned in messages about canopy trimming several years ago.

but almost everything i take off grows back and isn't really worthwhile imo,
The plant does not like having those leaves removed and will attempt to replace them if it can. Later on it flower it is no longer producing enough of the hormones that promote heavy leaf growth so no more replacement leaves show up, just a few small fan leaves in the larger buds.

I have done both. Lollipoping and just leaving her natural. I swear by the results of Lollipoping, simply because it reduces the lower insignificant bud sites. The Plant will then re-direct the energy from the chopped lower 1/4 to 1/3 to the upper remaining colas.. I have been doing it for years and my friends just want to buy my shit faster than I can grow it. Because of the larger Nuggs. JM2C :passitleft:
Anyone who does it seem's to think the same, not having to trim popcorn nugs would be a bonus in itself lol think i'll be giving it a go this time to see how it goes. do you think it slows the plant down any by having to recover?

This seems like the advice for when to do it from what I've been reading, the way I've been doing it over the years has been wrong, the only help was the removal of the small lower branches. Always learning in this game.

I have 5 plants the same strain and popped above ground at the same time maybe I will do my first little experiment and lollipop 1 and leave one alone to see if it has a big different effect on bud production. I am sure it has been done before but what the hell can't learn anything if I do not try something. Have any suggestion on any little experiments a newbie could try? I am dealing with sativa Sour Deisel using Prescription Blend for nutes.

Over the years people have started to call lollipop trimming to be any sort of trimming done at any time without any real goal in mind and that can lead to the conflicting info.

Lollipop trimming is an old method of shaping the plant before it goes into flowering. It involved removing all the leaf growth from the bottom 1/3 of the plant leaving a somewhat round or ball shape to the remaining canopy. Then some of the major growth tips on the remaining canopy are trimmed. End result is that instead of 4 or 5 major tips there now are 20 or so. End result is this can often give the plant the look of a large "lollipop" candy sucker.

There is a method of trimming flowering plants where some of the leaf growth is removed at about 3 weeks and then about 3 or 4 weeks later. It was frequently mentioned in messages about canopy trimming several years ago.

The plant does not like having those leaves removed and will attempt to replace them if it can. Later on it flower it is no longer producing enough of the hormones that promote heavy leaf growth so no more replacement leaves show up, just a few small fan leaves in the larger buds.
Looking forward to seeing the results this run, will be a lot easier trimming the leaves than the small nugs at the end.

I have 5 plants the same strain and popped above ground at the same time maybe I will do my first little experiment and lollipop 1 and leave one alone to see if it has a big different effect on bud production. I am sure it has been done before but what the hell can't learn anything if I do not try something. Have any suggestion on any little experiments a newbie could try? I am dealing with sativa Sour Deisel using Prescription Blend for nutes.
Be a good way to try it, I'm growing same strains as last run, so just going to lollipop them all this time, even though i use a bowl trimmer for the small nugs they're still a lot of hassel. I know roughly the yield I normally get and if it's anywhere near the same i'll be happy. Some claim it increases yield, that would be a bonus i'm not expecting.

Back
Top Bottom