Looking to do a 1st DWC grow

Justones

I'm thinking of doing my 1st ever hydroponic grow in a few weeks. I've been looking at the single 5gal bucket DWC. I'm looking for advise on is this a good 1st timer setup? Also any tips on what to look for when setting this up. Or are there any good starter kits I can look to buy? I'm curious how do you get a seed started in hydroponics system?
What's best for mesh lid size 6, 8 or 10?

I already have a space indoors setup from my soil grow I'll be utilizing. So lights are nothing I'm looking for. Just info as stated above.

I'm thinking of doing my 1st ever hydroponic grow in a few weeks. I've been looking at the single 5gal bucket DWC. I'm looking for advise on is this a good 1st timer setup? Also any tips on what to look for when setting this up. Or are there any good starter kits I can look to buy? I'm curious how do you get a seed started in hydroponics system?
What's best for mesh lid size 6, 8 or 10?

I already have a space indoors setup from my soil grow I'll be utilizing. So lights are nothing I'm looking for. Just info as stated above.

Anything with kit in the name triples the price lol.
Yes they are easy to make.
Yes they are good for beginners (Assuming you did your research!!)
Peat pellets/rapid rooters work wonders for germination.
6" or 8" is more then enough
Tips:
-You do not need a site glass, they become useless quickly.
-Get a thermometer for the nutrient solution.
-Keep the solution below 20C (This is extremely important!)
-Make the bucket light proof!!!!
-I wrap my 5g bucket with insulation
I recommend insulating it somehow (Help keep heat out).
-Keep your airpump in a cool place (prevent pumping warm air into bucket)
-Have a plan for fighting root rot.
-Ph Perfect nutrients makes this a lot easier for the first go around.
-Do NOT cheap out on the air pump and air stone.

Temperature and bad bacteria will be your main concerns, keep those in check and you will be amazed at the growth

Thanks! I appreciate that info. I've been reading up on the 5 gal DWC setups & watching some DIY videos. I have been looking on Amazon for some individual items like the mesh tops, rockwool, foxfarms trio liquid fertilizer, calmag, air stones etc. So I plan on just making it vs kit.

Currently looking for a good ph tester to add to my list of items. I'm leaning towards an Apera PH60. But not sure if that's what I need. Didn't want to get into that $100+ range on the meter. First it was not wanting to go over $50. But there's now wiggle room off that for decent quality.

Well I ordered some stuff today to get the ball rolling. I ordered some silicone tubing for airline. An 8" mesh lid. An 8 inch round flat air stone. And the Apera PC60 meter that does Ph & EC (PPM) & some other features.

I still need a good airpump, grow medium & nutrients.

Is Fox farms trio a good set of nutes? Im partial to foxes, so they had my interest from the first time I seen them. I know it's a silly reason too, lol.

Heres some info on the meter. Sounds pretty decent. Even has calibration solutions.
91hMrTkwYiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Apera PC60 Meter:
APERA INSTRUMENTS AI316 Premium Series PC60 5-in-1 Waterproof pH/EC (Conductivity) /TDS (ppm) /Salinity (ppt) /Temp. Multi-Parameter Pocket Tester Kit

I also recommend General Hydroponics trio. U get more for less in comparison to FF trio. It'll last u much longer.

I also recommend Hydroguard for root rot prevention. I run 79 to 88f temp water in my RDWC and have zero rot and slime and am on Day 48

Back
Top Bottom